First Grow Setup

greengatorade

Hi,

I have just received 12 seeds.

It looks like that I will do my first grow attempt in a cabinet (2 feet x 4 feet x 7 feet). I guess that I could fit 2 or 3 plants. Does it make sense?

A previous poster recommended a 400W HPS light. Well, I just come back from a specialized shop and they give me a quote of $400 for the hood, the light and the thing that looks like a transformer (what is it by the way?). It's too expensive for a first attempt — back to the drawing board :(

What would you suggest? I don't necessarily need the best system. Just something that is "good enough" and as easy as possible to operate. Ideally, I would like to spend at most $300 for my first grow (includes lights, fan, soil, fertilizer, etc.). Would someone be nice enough to make a shopping list? Thanks a lot.

Green Gatorade

you can easily find a 400w hps on ebay for about $100. itll take a bit of money but only in the beginning, youll grow will more than make up for it. 400w will be enough for your space, you could grow 2 huge plants and up to 8 smaller ones. good luck and grow the green.

What do you think of this system? Would it be sufficient?

Thanks,
Green Gatorade

COMPACT MINI LIGHTING SYSTEMS
Mini-systems are complete lighting systems in which the reflector and ballast are integrated in the same metal housing. They are referred to as "mini" systems because they are smaller in size (22 1/2" long, 16" wide, 9' high), and are of lower wattage. The 250 watt HPS and MH systems cover areas of 3' x 3'.

250 watt HPS System w/Super Agro 270 Bulb $244.95

WhatZ up grow club.............I have a general question. I picked up a floursent light bulb from a store thats about 100watts or soo. Will that be enough for the flowering stage for about 4 plants. I also have a 400 watt Hydrofarm grow light i picked up from one of my boys......Will this be okay for my small farm?

greengatorade said:
What do you think of this system? Would it be sufficient?

Thanks,
Green Gatorade

COMPACT MINI LIGHTING SYSTEMS
Mini-systems are complete lighting systems in which the reflector and ballast are integrated in the same metal housing. They are referred to as "mini” systems because they are smaller in size (22 1/2" long, 16" wide, 9' high), and are of lower wattage. The 250 watt HPS and MH systems cover areas of 3' x 3'.

250 watt HPS System w/Super Agro 270 Bulb $244.95

That's a good system. but that price could shave down a little for you.

Hydroponic Supplies to Grow Any Plant
same for less, or on the same site,

more for less:Hydroponic Supplies to Grow Any Plant.

I got the 400 w/ Hortilux bulb for less than that 250 wt, and you can find even better deals if you search enough.
Plus with 8 sq feet, you'll want a higher wattage if you can afford it.
But greenmonkey is right, you can find a 400w hps for $100 on ebay or insidesun, but people vary in their opionions of either.

Peace

400s, florocents? Thats meant for your vegging//mother room. Your going to need a 1000hps. Also, it is better to spend the extra money, buy the new unit and enjoy. I still have the same 1000 i bought 8 years ago and it still works great. Also that thing you call a transformer, is known as a ballast. Spend the extra money and buy the air-cooled hood with the glass closure, so you can seal it and control heat. Let me know if you need further advice as i would be glad to bestow it.

(RoC)siyah

EDIT: inside sun sales their product for cheap because all their product is refurbished. meaning it previously had an problem and was sent to the company to be repaired and is unsuitable for retail sale.

onelazysurfah said:
400s, florocents? Thats meant for your vegging//mother room. Your going to need a 1000hps.

Thanks so much guys!

I will go with your advice and stay away from the 250W. Onelazysurfah, are you sure that 1000W is the minimum? I say that because I have a grow book that says that 400W should be fine, but I don't know... Also, I don't want to have to expell air from my closet... I won't rezone my condo into a rural area just for growing pot ;) Do you think that 400W would create too much heat in a 4 feet x 2 feet (7 feet high) closet?

I have updated my shopping list. I am now thinking of buying this toy:

Deluxe 400 watt HPS System w/ Hortilux 430 $314.95

Any comment?

Thanks,
Green Gatorade

Back
Top Bottom