First Grow - White Widow - Afghani - Strawberry Blue - Advice Welcome!

Thank you, really appreciate it! Cant wait to feed the others for the first time in the morning and watch them grow

I honestly don't know too much about topping or FIM but I was thinking about topping them or at least try something on a couple plants. With it being my first grow I just want to kind of let them go on their own but from what I've read topping definitely helps. I will definitely be lolly popping my babies a few weeks down the road and get rid of the leaves that won't be getting very much light. Any suggestions on what I do? I am very open to what you guys think

I would top them now. But some like to do it early some do it later.
But I would remove just the top shoot. I you don't understand, I'll explain better :)

Eeehm. I suddenly found it very hard to explain. But, If you bend back the first set of leafs on the top shoot. and snip the whole thing off.
You can see two tiny shoots on each side of the top. :)

These will be great big budsites :)

I would top them now. But some like to do it early some do it later.
But I would remove just the top shoot. I you don't understand, I'll explain better :)

Eeehm. I suddenly found it very hard to explain. But, If you bend back the first set of leafs on the top shoot. and snip the whole thing off.
You can see two tiny shoots on each side of the top. :)

These will be great big budsites :)

FIMMing_Vs_Topping1.jpg

Day 24
Okay I think were going to let them keep growing a little bit more then look into topping a couple of them, most likely the afghanis because I dont even know if they are going to be females. I fed the other 4 plants for the first time yesterday with the same 1/4 recommended dosage fox farms open sesame. The tallest one is now 7 inches and the rest are between 5-6.5 inches.

Here are some updated pictures
All of them
FullSizeRender_11_.jpg

First close up of a different white widow. New leaves are a little yellow but hoping they darken up over the next couple days
FullSizeRender_13_.jpg

White widow
FullSizeRender_12_.jpg

Strawberry Blue
FullSizeRender_10_.jpg

Hello guys, sorry I havn't been able to post in the last week or so, been busy again taking care of these babies and work. We are on day 30 of veg now and these things are going crazy! I decided not to top or FIM any of them just because I don't want to mess anything up on my first grow and still just figuring everything out but on my next grow I am definitely going to top all of them. They have now been fed twice with nutrients and had a slight nute burn on a couple of them but nothing too serious at all. Although, I did encounter a little problem with strawberry blue. The bottom shade leaves havn't been sticking up straight like the rest of the leaves and have been hanging down in the soil and one of them somehow managed to get a little rip but everything seems to be fine. I am planning on just trimming the leaf off within the next day or so. They are growing more and more each day with the tallest one being almost exactly 1 foot tall and the rest are no shorter than 10''. Would like them to get closer to 18'' before switching to flower. What do you guys think?

Looks really nice man. Nice color and everything.
If you don't want to experiment, I understand. Seeing it's your first grow.
But, since I can't help myself:

I would really top them, since you are going to veg them atleast 20-30 days more anyway.
Also I would remove the top set of big fan leafs in the same process, just to get some more light into the side shoots.

If you are still a bit nervous about lst and all these strange techniques I got some readin' for ya! :)

The Gas Lantern Routine for Growing Cannabis
The Gas Lantern routine. I mainly switched because I grew tired of buying new fans. Saves the bill, saves the equipment and works like a motha.

Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?
About defoliation - I can stand by this, gives amazing results if done proper. Read and try :)

Topping
Topping, fimming and everything nice :D
I was scared myself the first time. But instead of one shoot I got two huge ones.

If you are still not sure, try out some different techniques with different plants. See what you prefer :)

Good luck man, on my own log we're trying out everything at once! :)

Edit: and btw, that little rift in your leaf is no problem. It's always scary at first when something like that happens. But you will be suprised what this plants can endure! :D There is a reason why they are called weed!

DAY 34

Thank you Hockey!

I really appreciate your feedback koqstrom! I have read/watched those links you gave me and I think I am going to top the two afghani's and 1 or two of the white widows. Over the last couple days I have been trimming off the fan leafs on all 6 of the plants. They are all about 1 foot tall besides the strawberry blue is about 10''. I have had to raise the light almost every day now keeping it between 18-20" is that a good distance? Also been watering about every 3rd sometimes 4th day depending on when the soil is dry enough and feeding them every other water. Here is a picture from yesterday, I went and trimmed a couple more of the fan leafs today.
FullSizeRender_18_.jpg

Strawberry blue
FullSizeRender_19_.jpg

White widow
FullSizeRender_20_.jpg

One question also, since I am getting close to flower time hopefully 1 week away, should I start changing the lighting to 17/7, 16/8, 15/4 until i get to 12/12? or just go straight to 12/12? What do you guys do when it is almost time for flower?

One question also, since I am getting close to flower time hopefully 1 week away, should I start changing the lighting to 17/7, 16/8, 15/4 until i get to 12/12? or just go straight to 12/12? What do you guys do when it is almost time for flower?

Just straight to 12/12 is fine. Some will do 24-36 hours of dark first.

Sorry for the no posts for a week but seem to barely be getting any responses but i appreciate those of you who are. Well we ended up switching to flower last friday. Now running 600W HPS and still have all 6 plants going but could be down to 4 here real soon if both afghanis turn out to be males. I have been keeping the light 16-18" away while they are stretching these first few weeks of flower, is that a good distance? My light is air cooled so I know I can have it much closer but figured that would be closer to harvest time

Back
Top Bottom