First Grow: White Widow Auto, Soil

PhreeGrow22

Hello all!

As I tried to self-educate my way around the internet, I came across this forum and am digging the community so I'm hopping in the pool! I welcome any and all feedback, advice, guidance, etc on my grow and my approach to the journal... especially so as a beginner. :)
Thanks in advance for bearing with me as I settle in
:Namaste:

Seeds: Auto White Widow Feminized Seeds - Dutch Passion
Variety: Indica - Sativa
Plants: 3

Container: 5-Gallon Smart Pots
Soil: Rapid Rooter > 2" of FF HappyFrog/FFOF mix around rooter, with remainder of pot 60% FFOF / 30% perlite / 10% vermiculite

Grow Tent: 48x24x60" (4x2x5')
Intake: 2x4" ducting - x2 (no fan on either one)
Exhaust: 6" Carbon Air Filter > 6" ducting > TerraBloom 240 CFM 6" Duct Booster (on variable speed controller) > 6" ducting
Fans: 6" fan - x2 - creating circular motion low to high

Light: 2x VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED
Light Distance: 36" initially, now at 24-26"
Light Schedule: 20/4

- - - - -
Now onto environment and care...

Since placing in the tent...
Temp: 81-83F light, 70-73F dark
RH: 55-80%, starting on the higher end and at the lower end now. Using a standing humidifier with ability to set a requested RH to maintain.

Watering Schedule: Every other day. I give it the "first knuckle test". Given size of pots vs plants, watering only around the center of the pot for now, though I did give it a bit extra to get runoff to test the pH a couple days ago.
Water - Original/previous: Tap, 6.7. One day it was a strong 7, so I put in a drop of pH down and tested it to land mid 6-6.5 before watering.
Water - Now (2 days ago): Bottled, Distilled, tests 6.5. Switched to this just to see if my home water was contributing to the problem.
Runoff pH: 6.5 steady
Humidifier: Automatic, keeps RH at the requested

Nutes: None yet, given the soil I'm using is rumored to be hot. I have the GO Box at the ready.

Best guesses for the cause of the problems:
- By pictures I see online, the closest thing it looks like to me is a Manganese deficiency - however, it says that is very rare, and with a nutrient-rich soil, it seems unlikely.
- Nutrient burn. There are more than a few posts out there that say to stay clear of FFOF because its great later on but burns plants early on. This is my best guess. But if it's the cause, I could use advice on "next steps".
- Too much light.
- I'm over-worried... Stop worrying about it, it'll grow out of it in time. =P

At your mercy all.

PICTURES:
I took a few early on, and just started again. I will be taking them daily moving forward in support of this thread, and my personal education!

Tent:

IMG_51606.JPG
IMG_51618.JPG
IMG_516411.JPG

Week 1

Started them in rooters, on a plate, on a heating pad.

IMG_51589.JPG

Moved them into the tent - dropped the rooters into the pot with the couple inches of FFHF and FFOF mix nearest to them.

IMG_51638.JPG

IMG_517311.JPG

Day 15

Looks good, except check out the lower leaves. Is that an issue? Plenty of shots of it below.

IMG_52013.JPG
IMG_52024.JPG
IMG_52032.JPG
IMG_520510.JPG

In these last 2, you can better see the wavy edges on the leaves that appear in a few places...

IMG_52096.JPG

IMG_52077.JPG

Peace and love, peace and love-

Light looks way too high for seedlings. I think my LED manufacturer recommends 24" max for seedlings.
Your enthusiasm and energy are great but don't let either of them make you think you need to do something every day. Your girls looks fine and your gonna have a very nice plant. It's obvious you did your homework and it's going to payoff in the long run. Just be confident in each of your moves and remember no one ever gets on 420 journal and ask for emergency underfeeding help. Your plants and you will start to talk to each other and they will let you know what they need. You might consider a ppm/ EC meter to find out if she is eating, drinking, both or neither.
Looking forward to watch you and this grow.

Guage

"Be a man not a kid, smoke pot by the lid".......Bucky

Appreciate you all poking into the thread! Follow along, comment, coach - whatever suits you. :)

Guage,
Many thanks for the advice. The LED's weren't quite as high as that earlier picture, but they were over 24", so I took them down to 22". I double-checked the manufacturer recommendation, and 20-24" is where I should be at (for now). Here's a fresh picture:

IMG_52186.JPG

Your coaching is right on point too (and probably is for most new growers, I expect)... I am super excited and get the itch to do something every day, though I know I must let it be. I'm going to look into the PPM/EC meter later today. Thanks for the heads-up.

The tiny brown spots and discoloration seem to be appearing on tips of other leaves as well. Adding a pic of it below - taken today (day 16). To the point made earlier, I'm maintaining calm!... But, if anyone has any advice, my ears are always open.

IMG_52217.JPG

Cheers to all. Thanks much for tagging along!

Hi all! Hope you're having a nice weekend! :byebye:

I checked on my babies just now. Day 17. 2 of the 3 are looking good - no change, or even a bit of improvement. :yahoo: Here's a shot of 1 of those 2... good representation of how both are doing.

16828.JPG

However, my middle plant is not doing so well. I can certainly "hold tight" and see where it goes, but I'm wondering what people think about it and if there's anything I should do or any adjustment to my care to help this girl out...

22471.JPG
31977.JPG

:thanks: for tuning in, and for any advice!

Hello and welcome to day 18! Hope I find you feeling happy and healthy.

My first grow continues to be the story of 2 different.... uhhh... :hmmmm: ... stories!

The first story involves 2 lovely ladies on either end of their 4x2 tent, starting to look like they're getting real comfy in there... like this one...

IMG_52388.JPG

The other story involves the mean b*tch in the middle :biglaugh: Ok, ok, I love her too. She's just not cooperating as seen here...

IMG_52396.JPG

However, I have a theory now! ...and I'm hoping someone out there can let me know if this make sense or not...

I came across some literature that said that nutrient burn is made worse by light burn (and vice versa). I pretty much already decided that the FFOF was too hot for when they were babies (even though I mixed it with FFHF in the immediate surrounding area). The left and right girls recovered nicely, but the middle one did not.

Why not? What is different for that plant? Only the light. It's positioned so it's not underneath either LED, but it's right between both. You can see the picture at bottom of this post. In my head (on a first grow mind you...), I thought it'd get a bit less light from each, and end up with the same result as the others in the end. BUT, now I'm wondering if it's more light in the middle of the tent than on either end... and combined with the hot soil... BOOM... the plant that doesn't keep up. Each problem not enough on its own apparently, but combined, causing the middle one to falter.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for stopping in! Come back soon!! :ciao:

IMG_52369.JPG

Hello and welcome to day 18! Hope I find you feeling happy and healthy.

My first grow continues to be the story of 2 different.... uhhh... :hmmmm: ... stories!

The first story involves 2 lovely ladies on either end of their 4x2 tent, starting to look like they're getting real comfy in there... like this one...

IMG_52388.JPG

The other story involves the mean b*tch in the middle :biglaugh: Ok, ok, I love her too. She's just not cooperating as seen here...

IMG_52396.JPG

However, I have a theory now! ...and I'm hoping someone out there can let me know if this make sense or not...

I came across some literature that said that nutrient burn is made worse by light burn (and vice versa). I pretty much already decided that the FFOF was too hot for when they were babies (even though I mixed it with FFHF in the immediate surrounding area). The left and right girls recovered nicely, but the middle one did not.

Why not? What is different for that plant? Only the light. It's positioned so it's not underneath either LED, but it's right between both. You can see the picture at bottom of this post. In my head (on a first grow mind you...), I thought it'd get a bit less light from each, and end up with the same result as the others in the end. BUT, now I'm wondering if it's more light in the middle of the tent than on either end... and combined with the hot soil... BOOM... the plant that doesn't keep up. Each problem not enough on its own apparently, but combined, causing the middle one to falter.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for stopping in! Come back soon!! :ciao:

IMG_52369.JPG

Your plants look lovely for your first grow! From my experience that doesn't just look like nutreint burn alone- you are correct there. How often are you feeding them? May want to slow down on that little girl, maybe her soil is hotter than the others.

Are you checking the pH of your water? Make sure its as neutral as possible and try to keep it the same. Im lucky, my tap water is almost perfectly neutral so I dont have to worry much. But I had a problem with my water, someone on my streets pipe broke and infected our water. Accidentally fed it to my plants & it looked very similar to this.

My recommendation is give it time, feed her way less and check your water/soil. Let me know what you find out! :)

Happy Growing:popcorn:

Welcome Hgrk17! :thumb:

Your plants look lovely for your first grow! From my experience that doesn't just look like nutreint burn alone- you are correct there. How often are you feeding them? May want to slow down on that little girl, maybe her soil is hotter than the others.

Are you checking the pH of your water? Make sure its as neutral as possible and try to keep it the same. Im lucky, my tap water is almost perfectly neutral so I dont have to worry much. But I had a problem with my water, someone on my streets pipe broke and infected our water. Accidentally fed it to my plants & it looked very similar to this.

My recommendation is give it time, feed her way less and check your water/soil. Let me know what you find out! :)

Happy Growing:popcorn:
Thanks much for stopping in and for sharing your thoughts, RadaRoast! :Namaste:

I actually haven't given them their first feeding yet. From what I had read, if you use FFOF soil (which I have), you should hold off on nutes until week 3-4. Does that make sense? I'm at day 19, so I planned on starting in 4-5 days on the 2 healthy girls. The other one isn't close to ready I don't think.

I had a watering to do today, so your pH question was well-timed! IN (bottled distilled): ~6.0-6.2 pH. OUT: ~6.5 pH. It's the same for all 3 pots. I've been using the distilled water since day 14. I started with tap water initially (day 0 - day 13), which was 6.8-7.0 pH, but switched to distilled when I started seeing the small spots on the leafs that led to what you see in the 1 struggling plant now. (the other 2 bounced back nicely... not that they were ever in truly rough shape) There was only 1 day I pH-adjusted the tap water to the mid-6's, as it was a touch higher than usual out of the spout.

So I'm doing the patient thing for now :) I have faith she'll come around, but as always, welcome any advice or suggestions!

Thanks again!

Light looks way too high for seedlings. I think my LED manufacturer recommends 24" max for seedlings.
Your enthusiasm and energy are great but don't let either of them make you think you need to do something every day. Your girls looks fine and your gonna have a very nice plant. It's obvious you did your homework and it's going to payoff in the long run. Just be confident in each of your moves and remember no one ever gets on 420 journal and ask for emergency underfeeding help. Your plants and you will start to talk to each other and they will let you know what they need. You might consider a ppm/ EC meter to find out if she is eating, drinking, both or neither.
Looking forward to watch you and this grow.

Guage

"Be a man not a kid, smoke pot by the lid".......Bucky

I agree with everything in this post. Just like a new parent, new growers freak out about EVERYTHING, I have littered this forum with worries that didn't matter one bit. remember these are well engineered growing machines that genetically know what we want them to do. They would grow without our help, provided they had water. We can play a huge part in maximizing the potential of each plant. but for now water little bit of food and let her go. I have white widow auto waiting to be next so I will pay close attention to your grow. enjoy the process have a good time.:thumb:

420-magazine-mobile1195951644.jpg

I had the same problem running dwc, my first thoughts were it was called mag deffenci any as I was using distilled water. I soon came to realize it was the PH not being stable. fixed that issue now seems to we getting better I cut off the infected foilage as well.

420-magazine-mobile1195951644.jpg

I had the same problem running dwc, my first thoughts were it was called mag deffenci any as I was using distilled water. I soon came to realize it was the PH not being stable. fixed that issue now seems to we getting better I cut off the infected foilage as well.
I have the same thing going on, but I'm in late flower. using led with distilled water, and realized none of my nutes have cal or mag. my ph was a tad high, sitting at 7.0 very rapid to spread, and it's affected my sugar leaves as well. I dosed with cal and some epsom for mag 2 days ago and I'm not sure if it's starting to balance out. this morning I am going to do a flush with ph water at about 5.8 and cal. hope that sets her right. you can peak at my journal, my dilemma with spots on leaves starts on page 56, I believe. I hope you get it sorted out. I will let you know if mine does.

1st Ever Grow - LED - White Widow Auto

I have the same thing going on, but I'm in late flower. using led with distilled water, and realized none of my nutes have cal or mag. my ph was a tad high, sitting at 7.0 very rapid to spread, and it's affected my sugar leaves as well. I dosed with cal and some epsom for mag 2 days ago and I'm not sure if it's starting to balance out. this morning I am going to do a flush with ph water at about 5.8 and cal. hope that sets her right. you can peak at my journal, my dilemma with spots on leaves starts on page 56, I believe. I hope you get it sorted out. I will let you know if mine does.

1st Ever Grow - LED - White Widow Auto
I was using distilled water before aswell. but I'm was adding cal- mag 3ml per gallon I don't think it was enough. plus ph was hovering around 6.8. since then I switched to my tap water. wich is 250ppm, add nutes to corrected the ph and it has seen to slow down. and I just recently cut off infected foilage it seemed to like that aswell.

Hello again, and :welcome:! Nice to have the new folks dialing in!

It's comforting to know others are experiencing the same kind of thing - even if its a bump in the "grow road" :)

I'm staying on top of the pH, and it seems good in/out. What's interesting about all of this is that all 3 pots the had the same soil, have been watered on the same schedule, in the same environment (except for the weakest one being in the middle of the 4x2 tent)... and yet its just the 1 that is struggling! Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I should give it a bit of CalMg and see where she goes. And I'll trim some bad leaves.

Blaze- Those plants on my newbie eyes make me :drool: haha

LadyK- I actually read your thread last night on my cell phone! I wish I saw it earlier. I have my fingers crossed for ya, and obviously I'm tuned in now given we're more or less doing the same grow.

See below for a couple pics from today (Day 20). Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences all! :ciao:

IMG_52494.JPG

IMG_52507.JPG

And the rough one...
IMG_52516.JPG

Back
Top Bottom