First Grow

supertramp

Hello all, brand new to thread and growing marjiuana. But not new to growing plants. Work on a farm as a horticulture expert. Very excited to start my first grow will be posting pictures soon. Started germination 4 days ago put 8 seeds in bowl of Luke warm water for 5 hours then moved to moist paper towl with humidity dome and plate sitting on heating pad set for 85 degrees. After 26 hours on paper towl I had one seed with a nice healthy taproot coming out so I planted it in 100% sterile pots and soil about 1/2 inch down then placed it under a 4000 lumen 300 watt equivalent bulb and kept moist I have a beautiful little sprout with its first leaves almost fully developed and looking healthy. Not long after I planted that one 3 more seeds were ready for planting. So I had a 50% germination rate and all are planted I gave two to my brother for his closet identical to mine (he's an experienced grower) both closets are light proof and have about 4000 lumens each with fan and enclosed air circulation with carbon monoxide generators. (Bottles with active yeast and hose going above pots) very cool set up. Hoping to see 3 more sprouts tonight. Will be getting bigger bulbs before flowering. Both closets are at a constant temp range from about 77-85 degrees and all water is purified drinking water or from a well. We open closets about 4 times a day when we can to air them out. Very successful set up so far. This is regular bag seed I got from a buddy who says it's a mix of *loud* and *kush* but could be just regular mid. But some of the best gardens I've seen have been from regular bag seeds. But so far these are turning out really good! I do not know the pH of water or a lot about the soil it's a new shipment we got at work I got a bag from my boss. As my first grow I'm putting all of it on this forum from start to finish and will try to update at least twice a week and I'm keeping track of all the plants even though 2 are my brothers now I got them all numbered and have the exact date and time I germinated the seeds and when they sprout (only one so far) I love horticulture and building things I'll be making a cloning machine in the up coming weeks and maybe a hydro system. I actually looked on this forum for 2 weeks before my first grow love the people on here very polite and smart! Decided to make an account and post when my first seed sprouted. Any questions feel free to ask and tell me if I'm leaving out anything! Tell me what Yall think! Thank you :high-five: (sorry for any spelling errors my tablet is being stupid)

Hi supertramp, and welcome!

Good luck with your grow. It sounds like you're off to a nice start!

/Obi
:Namaste:

20140822_122332.jpg
20140822_122431.jpg
:hmmmm::hmmmm:
20140822_122242.jpg

This girl is exactly 25 hours old (8 looking really good she is the only one that has sprouted so far but others were planted after her. I'm expecting pot#3 (square pot right next to this girl pot#1) to sprout either today or tomorrow. So this girl is number one right now literally lol. Closet is about 98% light proof right now and I'll probably be making some changes to it soon. Need to get my carbon monoxide generator going (bottle with active yeast lol) so I'll be posting pictures of it in the next few days. I'm only worried about how much it will smell. Another thing I've heard of is getting carbonated water and spraying it right on the leaves, what do Yall think about that? Should of took pictures of seeds after they were germinated but forgot to. I might germinate some more depending on how these turn out so I'll post pics of them if I do. Really loving my set up so far though. Already addicted to growing! I actually think it's more fun then smoking it lol! More pictures will be coming as the week progresses. Thank you! For all of your support and help!

Sorry the pictures are sideways I'm not sure why they are. I'll try and fix that with my next posting of pictures. I've been having some troubles posting them on here but will figure out a solution!:420:

Congrats on the seedling!

A couple thoughts for ya:

That drop of water on the Cotyledon may act as a magnifying glass, focusing light and burning the leaf. I would pass on the foliar feeding or watering. Feed and water through the soil unless you have a specific reason to spray the leaves such as a pest, nutrient or mold problem.

Carbon dioxide or CO2 will exhaust from your yeast bottle.
Carbon monoxide or CO will exhaust from combustion such as from a home furnace or automobile engine.

Keep it green.

/Obi

Thank you for the help. I meant co2 (carbon dioxide) not carbon monoxide my bad. And the drop of water was from accidentally spraying water on plant. But it turned out to make a great picture! Lol. I didn't want to burn the new sprout with the light too close so I moved it up high. Was going to ask to see how high the light should be. Now I gotta figure out a way to get that light hanging sideways lol. Pot #3 is starting to sprout right now and it's looking very well. Pots 2&4 are doing good from what I hear from my brother. And one or both have sprouted I think pot#2 has sprouted. I think from now on I'm just going to keep this journal on my 2 plants because it's becoming a pain to keep track of my brothers. Will post pics when other pot sprouts completely

Not sure how you'll get that bulb sideways without a makeshift fixture of some sort, but you want it within 2 to 6 inches of plant. And youre gonna need a lot more bulbs than that for those plants. You want at least 100 watts for each plant.

Moved my light to 5 inches above plant. Still don't have it sideways though. How many lumens should I need for 2 plants? I have about 4000 right now. And how often should I water my 2 seedlings? Pot #3 is doing very good so far. I've been keeping them pretty moist but I think I'm going to start cutting back on watering since they have both sprouted and are looking good. I'm worried I'm going to dry them out when I leave for work or school during the day, but then again I don't want root rot.

Use your finger and put it in soil to see how far down the soil is moist. It's not really lumens you need to worry about, it's watts. You want at least 100 actual watts (not equivalent) for each plant.

Quick update/questions. Seedling #1 is about 3 inches tall everything is looking good but seems a little bit too tall and skinny for only being 54 hours old so I lowered the light down to 2 inches above the leaves hopefully that helps the second seedling is looking really good also its about an inch and a half tall and is doing really good. These girls are looking pretty! (I know I'm a noob bragging about the beauty of my first plants) have been rotating pots so the top of the plant rotates to the light they've been leaning towards it maybe this will help strengthening the stems. Also lowered fan so it's blowing on the plants more to also help strengthen the stems. When do Yall think I should start fertilizing? And what type? I have access to just about every fertilizer and chemicals known to man at my job lol. I have heard that higher nitrogen in the fertilizer actually increases odds for the plant to be female. Is this true or just non sense? I'm thinking just plain low doses of miracle grow starting in the next 2 weeks will be good. All good so far except I Pissed my girlfriends mom off last night so now she says I can't see her anymore (I know not even remotely related to this thread or forum feeling down.) I'm 18 in highschool and working 6 days a week BTW I'm on my 3rd year of advanced horticulture classes right now. Yay! Lol I'm used to growing vegetables and ornamental plants but I guess weed is a mixture of both in a way. Pictures coming later tonight!

Don't tell people you're 17 or they'll kick you outta here. Supposed to be 18 to be here. If you have access to ferts, don't use miracle gro. Look up some of the labels for nutrients and see how much of what they use and make your own if you can't afford to buy the real stuff. Don't start using nutes till about the 3rd week or if you see the cotyledons yellowing.

Alot of nutes were using right now are 10-20-3 but that's for mums I buy a lot of supplies for my mom's garden from work or he just give it to me. I heard miracle grow works very well though

You read around here and you'll see fast that it's frowned upon. There are better nutrients geared closer to pot. Can't remember, but are you doing a soil grow or what? You're going to want to do some more research on your grow style and check out what's good and bad. If you want to grow great potent buds, gotta get the right stuff. If you have access to all the different nutrients, anything would be better than miracle gro

I edited my quick update/questions post. I'm doing soil. I'm going to do some more research and find a nutrient solution.

If you need to I would do a search in the forum to find info. Kingjohnc and a few others are soil guys. In my playground link, stumped is a soil grower and he could help you build a nutrient. Somewhere in that thread he told us what to get and how much of which to mix. He knows his shit, so you could always go there and ask him. I'm a passive hydro soilless kinda guy. I like simplicity, which is why I do hempy

Back
Top Bottom