First Harvest Storage Jar Questions

I use gallon mason jars from Walmart. I started using 32oz, then 64oz, now I use full gallons.
It gets to be a pain when you’re burping 20 jars twice a day. Lol.
All 6 plants used in average 2 Gallon jars per plant.

32oz and 64oz
03F7FCC1-C177-427C-9FB3-51F1849E7F4C.jpeg

The Gallon is where it’s at.
24B8E06D-7B1C-45E3-A456-BC0D4BD1DE8D.jpeg

These are the Boveda packs I use.
C7453BE0-EB08-4682-871C-2927976E70CE.jpeg
Wow only 45% humidity, I know you did not keep it there but buds look great.

Wow only 45% humidity, I know you did not keep it there but buds look great.
Hence me going to Gallons. I wasn’t expecting the yield I got. Should have bought 5 gallon jars. Lol!

I use solid colored ceramic jars & clear glass of various sizes, with the hinged lid and rubber gasket.
Real easy to burp. I keep the clear ones out of direct light, but the solid ones don’t matter. Room temp.

ADB7884F-AA74-4819-8A19-D18580C7F9F6.jpeg
6551A649-59EC-4AEE-8BCB-48D8BCC8BB9D.jpeg
941DB41C-F606-4CC7-8754-43259E1FCEB6.jpeg
5D4C3CEB-8922-4868-B92F-BC7EAA8B04E8.jpeg
These are really nice. Do you recall where you purchased the solid ones?

Should have bought 5 gallon jars. Lol!
I got tired of dealing with all the mason jars and shifted to 3.5 gallon buckets this year for the drying/trimming phase...works great...I wash, hang dry in a dark root cellar for about a week, then I break the stems into smaller sections and dry them in 5g buckets. I had good luck with the RH of the cellar during harvest with it being between 58-64%, so I left everything exposed (and the cellar is vented with fresh air) but still in the bucket, which saved space. One thing I realized (using sealed 5g buckets) is that I can leave the branch sections in there, covered, until I need/want to trim them. I still use mason jars (vacu-sealed with boveda packs) and have been experimenting with using mylar for my "gift bags"...easier to give since there is no permeability (smell) and they are opaque...looks like I am giving away a coffee sample :cheesygrinsmiley:

Initial 8-hour dry after washing

Indoor drying in 6x6' root cellar (dark and usually between 40-65F and RH% 50-60)

Dried branches in the 5g before I started final trim.

I got tired of dealing with all the mason jars and shifted to 3.5 gallon buckets this year for the drying/trimming phase...works great...I wash, hang dry in a dark root cellar for about a week, then I break the stems into smaller sections and dry them in 5g buckets. I had good luck with the RH of the cellar during harvest with it being between 58-64%, so I left everything exposed (and the cellar is vented with fresh air) but still in the bucket, which saved space. One thing I realized (using sealed 5g buckets) is that I can leave the branch sections in there, covered, until I need/want to trim them. I still use mason jars (vacu-sealed with boveda packs) and have been experimenting with using mylar for my "gift bags"...easier to give since there is no permeability (smell) and they are opaque...looks like I am giving away a coffee sample :cheesygrinsmiley:

Indoor drying in 6x6' root cellar (dark and usually between 40-65F and RH% 50-60)

Very nice.

Yeah Shed said the same, but he started using turkey bags. Lol!

Check your local thrift stores and attic shops for Mason jars. I got a variety of sizes for half the price of new. I even found an unopened case of 32oz Mason jars that I paid half the price of retail.

Check your local thrift stores and attic shops for Mason jars. I got a variety of sizes for half the price of new. I even found an unopened case of 32oz Mason jars that I paid half the price of retail.
That's an awesome idea.

I also have a bunch of jelly jars that I got from my MIL, may she rest in peace, who used to make lots of jelly. She's probably rolling over in her grave about now.

Wow.. it’s been years ago! I really can’t be sure... Walmart maybe....
Now I remember where I have seen those style of jars, the solid color sided ones. They will be in the housewares sections of department stores, sometimes near the canning jars but just as often near the area people go to look for decorations.

Also stores that specialize in cooking and kitchen accessories. I am thinking that I have seen some of them at Bed, Bath and Beyond stores.

Back
Top Bottom