First Hydro Grow

Very nice job.

You deserve some ++reps for that cloning effort!

QUESTION: I've got 22 pots to fill. The clones are in various stages of root development, some showing many roots out the bottom of the RW cube, some not, but ALL have healthy, firm leaves that have been supported dome off for several days.

Should I place all clones on the tables on 8-23-13 as planned, or stagger their placement only placing those that have visible roots protruding from the RW cube bottom?

Only transplant the ones that you are sure are good to go. If they exhibit new growth or root protrusion from the medium that is good sign that transplant is a go. But don't waste your time transplanting a non viable clone.

Thanks. I get hung up on wanting to see nice protruding roots before transplanting. They all look quite good, only require seven of each of the three variatals, and I've got 10-11 of each so should have the seven w/ good roots I need for tomorrow. I'll do a count in the morning to see what's what as far as nice fat roots sticking out like angry, thrombosed hemorrhoids.

26140.jpg

pH Fluctuations

-Slight, but observable even before plants hit the tables. Rose from 5.8 to 6.5, brought back to 5.8 and then 24 hours later up to 6.15. Brought back to 5.8. We'll see where we are after the next two floods.

BTW, I dig my small portable pond pump. When adjusting res pH it's great for quickly stirring in the acid/caustic adjuster, and makes draining the res a breeze.

33135.jpg

pH adjusts are easy w/ this pump recirculating the nutes in the res, as any acids/caustics added are quickly and thoroughly mixed. Adding about 15 ml of acid drops the pH about 0.3 points or so and only takes 60 seconds to stabilize .

My Take On A DWC Raft Cloner

Now that the plants are on the tables, I'm only left w/ my twice daily pH/EC checks so I thought I'd throw together a DWC raft cloner I've had knocking around in my mind. We've all seen these DWC cloners a million time, I know, and I've put together one or two others by cutting holes in the LIDS of totes and containers BUT have never done a raft-style or experimented cloning w/ one. Had varied success w/ other DWC clone designs. More than a few growers claim these DIY DWC raft cloners are just as effective as the expensive aeroponic cloners that sell for hundreds. Total cost on this was about 50 bucks in parts.

The res. is a 15 gallon Sterilite tote. The raft is 1" thick rigid sheet foam insulation. Light is 150W CFL. Used 2" mesh pots w/ the bottoms cut out and the foam taco holders. Res. has a heater to maintain 80F, two airstones for oxygen, and a 25% Ionic Grow solution w/ Green Fuse Concentrated Root Stimulator:

34136.jpg

35131.jpg

36124.jpg

37127.jpg

38125.jpg

39121.jpg

4099.jpg

41134.jpg

42138.jpg

Flushing Mother Plants

Mother plants are about 7-8 weeks since being put into present containers & have given a lot of clones and taken a lot of nutes. Time for a flush; they've performed great and I'd like to keep them vibrant. Use a 25% grow nute soln. pH'd to about 6.3-ish in RODI water.

43123.jpg

44130.jpg

45123.jpg

46116.jpg

With an R/O filter running into a large storage tank - you should use both a backcheck valve and an auto-shutoff valve. Both are easily found by doing a google search - and they are sold as a package.

I have had people tell me that I am full of shit on this issue - but it is recommended by the manufacturers if you check your manual and extrapolate to how you are using the system. You are maintaining zero pressure on one side of your membrane and about 60 lbs on the other - for a very long time while your container is filling.

Right, just wasn't happy w/ the under-the-sink (UTS) RO unit. It filled one barrel OK, but it seems that there were issues w/ the automatic shutoff valve on the unit functioning properly w/ a float valve instead of tank backpressure/full tank signaling that unit to shut down. For this reason I believe I overpressurized the membrane because the efficiency fell on the next barrel.

So, I replaced it w/ a unit that is DESIGNED for continuous use, i.e. filling large tanks/high output. Designed for Reefkeepers by a small company out of Florida, this system includes a de-ionization cartridge at the end of the line, which differs greatly from the UTS system. Both are "5 stage", however the UTS system (in order of filtration) has sediment 2 carbon sieves 5 µm in size (filters particulate up to 5µm in size plus carbon starts to remove chlorine & chloramines) , the RO membrane, and then a final carbon "polish" to "remove excess chlorine".

The Typhoon is better for a few reasons. First, was designed for continuous flow & large volumes. Second, it provides true "zero" TDS water through the best five stage filtration available, and finally the patented quick-flush waste valve allows the membrane to be "washed" or flushed manually giving better membrane performance & longer membrane life.

47114.jpg

**Filters R-L are sediment, 5 µm carbon, 1 µm carbon, and the final DI filter. Can't seen from photo; DI is a re-fillable cartridge that uses a color-changing resin. When resin changes from green to all brown, remove and replace resin only.**

48109.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

49101.jpg

**Patented quick-flush valve. This valve is attached to the waste line of the RO membrane. Close valve to make RODI water. Open valve to flush membrane. I flush the membrane for about 2-3 minutes every 50 gallon tank.**

This message is to inform you that your post in the thread entitled, "First Hydro Grow (First Hydro Grow)" has been edited. Upon registration to our forums you agreed to our sites "Registration Agreement." Under that agreement you agreed to refrain from using an outside hosting service to post your pictures. And as stated in our Posting Guidelines (Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting), all images must be loaded through our Photo Gallery (420 Magazine Medical Marijuana Cannabis Hemp Photo Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery), and become the copyright property of 420 Magazine.

KISS MY ASS ! !

Those photos are NOT the copywritten property of 420 Magazine!

So much for posting on this shitty site. Scrubbing links from other sites, and now this bullshit?

I'm off to another site such as Roll It Up dot org or perhaps THC Farmer dot com that knows how to support the overall cannabis community, NOT their own selfish interests.

OUT.

This message is to inform you that your post in the thread entitled, "First Hydro Grow (First Hydro Grow)" has been edited. Upon registration to our forums you agreed to our sites "Registration Agreement." Under that agreement you agreed to refrain from using an outside hosting service to post your pictures. And as stated in our Posting Guidelines (Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting), all images must be loaded through our Photo Gallery (420 Magazine Medical Marijuana Cannabis Hemp Photo Gallery - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery), and become the copyright property of 420 Magazine.

KISS MY ASS ! !

Those photos are NOT the copywritten property of 420 Magazine!

So much for posting on this shitty site. Scrubbing links from other sites, and now this bullshit?

I'm off to another site such as Roll It Up dot org or perhaps THC Farmer dot com that knows how to support the overall cannabis community, NOT their own selfish interests.

OUT.

There are a couple good reasons for doing this
1. They scrub your photos when they get uploaded
2. if the photo site goes down or you go over your limit, the photos will break and there goes everything. 420M has over a Decade of active involvement and huge servers that are safe.
3. It's easier to link within a service (ie: they have made it easy)
4. Copyright always remains with the person who took the photo.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom