First indoor grow - Need opinion on what light to buy

listen2marley

hello fellow 420ers im finally biting the bullet and buying some lights to start growing indoors. reason being this week 70% of my plants were stolen and it was such a killer putting that much effort into something everyday since april for it to just be poof gone. huge killer is my lowryder was 2 days away from harvest f'in sucks. hopefully the lowryder can still have some good come outta her and help me win a plant of the month and get the eespect ahe deserves lol. well anyways this weekend im going too be near an HTG grow store so I plan to buy my first set of lights. I dont know which would be better for my close which is roughly 6-7ft long 3-4 ft wide and 8-9ft tall. I have a very small budget but found a set of 4 T5lights with an electronic ballast in my range but also found a 150W hps in my range that comes with an electronic ballast as well. going to post the link to both lights so everyone can see them and read all their info and hopefully help me make the best decision. I acually have a bunch of seeds atm and they are basically all autos besides my 1 "the purps" seed from bc bud depot. my autos are
a bunch of super silver haze, 1 sensi seed AK, 1 spanish purple, 1 spanish blueberry, and 1 dinafem critical. So now you know that strains I plan to grow the space im working with and the 2 lights i cant decide between. If any more info is needed just ask and i can tell ya. I want the best bang for my buck and also want the easiest light aince its my first indoor grow i dont want to have to switch bulbs feom veg to flower if possible (T5 is a 4 set and comes with 2 veg lights and 2 flower lights) so let me know what you guys think id like to be able to fill the closet so if you think I can grow more plants with one of the lights than the other let me know. happy growing everyone....

HTG Supply - HTGSupply 150w High Pressure Sodium Grow Light <-- link to hps light

HTG Supply - HTG Supply 2 Foot 4 Lamp High Output T5 <-- link to T5 lights

I would see about getting a bigger light. The 150 won't be able to grow much under it, and that space is big. I would save up and get at least a 400 watt hps in that closet. But if not then the 150 would probably grow denser nugs than the t5

Peyton :high-five: has great answers, I agree w his post :thumb: my 2 cents, choice of light I would recommend depends on your budget for purchase & what you can afford on your electric bill. a 400 HPS/HID will run about 100 a month or more, LED a bit less, CFL half the cost or less, the higher your electric bill, the more you will yield, it's all relative to your budget & your goal. share that info & we'll go from there, the 150 HPS is good for 3 feet x 2 feet max. post pics and budget answers, thanks, glad to help

ok so today I ended up buying the 150Watt hps. i took peytons advise and the guy at htg said the hps would be better to use for veg and flower since its the only bulb i have. Now I need to figure out about how many plants I can grow. the closet im using is roughly 6-7ft long by 3-4ft wide and 8-9ft tall. ontop of the hps i just got I have 8 cfl bulbs. 2 are 1250 lumens, 3 are 750lumens, and other 3 are 800 lumens one of those 8 is the acual over head light in the closet. I also found this small led bulb. I have no idea what wattage or anything because its just the bulb and it has no writing on it. So how many plants could i grow with the lights I currently have in the closet I plan to use? And how many of the cfls should I use or I guess i should say how many lumens should i use from the cfls. im going to post some pictures of the closet im using the cfl bulbs and what ill be using to put the cfls in (dont think they are ideal). any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and for strains right now I just put 1 auto purple from spanish seeds and 1 auto ak from sensi seeds into their pots today after had germinating them for 2 days. Im going to start them outside untill they grow a few nodes then move them inside, iv read alot of journals where people do that is that the beat way to start em? Ill also be germinating some super silver haze autos tomorrow and possibly my 1 dinafem critical auto to grow as well. so those are my strains and all the lights im working with so let me know what you think. id love to be able to grow 5 or more at a time prob 4 autos and 1 regular (I have a bcbd the purps seed). ok hope i didnt make this too confusing. and trichomes right now im not worrying too much about the electric bill because for the next 6months im on a flat rate. every 6months they evaluate what iv used and average it and thats what i pay. hope to hear some good news from you guys :) oh last thing my closet is white on the inside but kinda old so has a little yellow tint would i be better off leaving it as is or tinfoiling the walls? i heard tinfoil can leave hot spots but wasnt sure. Thanks to all who have helped me so much with my growing dont know what id do w/o 420mag!!
image12767.jpg
image12768.jpg
image12769.jpg
image12770.jpg
image12772.jpg
image12771.jpg
image12773.jpg
image12774.jpg

im really not too sure its a closet so not sure what options i really have. i got a small fan i can put in there and I have one of those silver dryer hoses thinking maybe crack the door open and stick the tube out and use a blanket or black plastic or sometjing to close off the rest of the crack? what do you think i should do because i have no idea

i have a fence 2 pitbulls and 1 german shepard/pitbull mix. no ones getting inside my place they were outside though. they climbed the fence. turns out a bunch of my other neighbors got hit too. some people were just going house to house stealing anything valuable in yards like lawn mowers and bikes and shit and they just got lucky and hit the jack pot when they came in my yard.

so I just grabbed a 400W hps light today and still have 4 cfls totaling 100W so with a 500W total how many plants could I grow at one time with these lights? Havnt really got a answer in number of plants yet so would really appreciate some opinions... they would basically be all auto flowers with maybe one photo if that matters

so I just grabbed a 400W hps light today and still have 4 cfls totaling 100W so with a 500W total how many plants could I grow at one time with these lights? Havnt really got a answer in number of plants yet so would really appreciate some opinions... they would basically be all auto flowers with maybe one photo if that matters

9 plants from clones or 18ish plants from seed then cull males to make more room.

9 plants from clones or 18ish plants from seed then cull males to make more room.

18 plants on a 400w HPS and 100w CFL? No way. More like 2 from seed under the 100w CFL (I know from experience) and 4-5 under the 400w HPS.

You have to keep lumens in mind... and that you're loosing about 1,000+ lumens per foot from the light. Generally speaking... you can grow a 4 foot plant on a 100w CFL bulb.

My personal grow is a CFL setup and goes...

1 x 100w 6500K
3 x 26w 6500K
1 x 50w 5500K
1 x 23w 2700K

It's good to mix your spectrum a bit.

Back
Top Bottom