First Indoor Grow, WW & NL Autos

TalentedTen

I've read the guidelines on how to document a Grow Journal. Not entirely sure how to begin, so I'll just jump in. Did several outdoor grows in Hawaii LONG ago. Never tried indoor.

First off, I wish I started this journal even from the point of planting the seeds after they germed. I caused myself some problems even during the planting of the seeds in my soil. I'll be keeping a log of my mistakes.

Here are the basics...

Talented Ten 2018 Grow Journal (#1)

Plan:
No (little) added nutrient indoor grow. I'm growing in a hot southwestern desert so I can't suck in 10-15% RH, 110+ degree fresh air from outside. Even in my house the RH is often only 20% so I've added a humidifier to the tent.
One White Widow auto-flower (40% Indica / 60% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis)
One Northern Lights auto-flower (70% Indica / 20% Sativa / 10% Ruderalis)
Growing medium:
Fox Farms Ocean Forest 60%, Fox Farms Happy Frog 20% and perlite 20%. This is over a bed of Kind Soil that had two Solo cup's worth of perlite added covering the bottom third to half of the 5 gallon smart bag.
Equipment:
3' X 3' X 6' grow tent
5 gallon smart bags on rack above water runoff pans
Dr. Meter lux meter
4 23 watt Phillips (claimed "100watt equivalent" for each bulb), 6500 K, CFLs 2-2.5” above both seedlings providing 40,000 measured lux - transitioning to ViparSpectra PAR 700 in week 3
Soil pH/Moisture meter
Light Schedule:
21 hour lights on schedule for these autos in the theory that all living things need some "down time".

*****************************************************************************************************

June 1: Floated a seed of WW (“Tessa”... as in Tessa Fowler), and a seed of NL (“Wendy”... as in Wendy Fiore) on a seed germination warming pad in shot glasses, tap water filtered by Zero One water filter, 0% TDS, pH 6.5, temperature 87 degrees F.

June 2: After 18 hours, both seeds had cracked and a tap root was evident. Placed seeds in between two sheets of thick paper towels, inside sandwich Tupperware containers, moistened liberally, locked down the securing handles and placed on top of seed germination warming pad in darkness.

June 4: Both seeds have ½ to ¾ inch long tap roots. Planted both seeds 1/3rd of an inch deep. Watered both smart pots, water in pH 6.7, runoff pH 6.7.

June 6: Both seeds popped above soil surface.

June 8: Watered.

June 11: The inner seed membrane is preventing the cotyledon leaves from opening on both seedlings. Must not have planted deep enough. Misted both several times. No dice. Decided to take a chance and manually remove the membrane with a fine tweezers after spraying them down. They wouldn't survive if I didn't. Got the membrane off both Tessa and Wendy without too much trouble. Will wait to see if things go okay. Watered.

Wendy
1.jpg

Wendy
2.png

Tessa
3.jpg

June 12: No serious apparent problems from membrane removal.
Tessa
4.jpg

Wendy (first leaf is a little twisted showing the death grip the membrane had).
5.jpg

June 13: No serious apparent problems from membrane removal.

June 15: Watered. PH in: 6.5 pH out:7.4 I'll have to adjust pH of ingoing water to get the runoff at/below pH7. As most new indoor growers do, I'm convinced I've been overwatering a bit using 30-40cc supplemental waterings. I'lll have to adjust accordingly. I've also not been recording when, the amounts of water used or the amount of runoff (shooting for less than 10%. I won't make that mistake again. ALL watering amounts and frequency will be recorded.

You are doing great on the journal so far...... Many of us did a daily update when we started, so update when you want, but I do suggest at least once a week. Or people do not get to see your updates often enough (human nature).

I will complain like a child if you leave me hanging too long.....(just as a heads up).... ;)

In for the watch....... :popcorn:

Thanks Bonsaiweed.

I've run into issues so early, which I believe I caused, that on this first grow, I might post more often than I should, at least until Tessa and Wendy are on safe growing ground and out of the seedling stage. I have to refrain from the mistake most new growers commit... over-watering.

Yes, over-watering is a common problem when learning to grow in soil. I suggest lifting the whole plant and only water when you feel like its a feather.

Post when you feel like you need advice. I'm sure there will be a few people around to give their view point. I know @Pennywise will be here. He follows more journals than I do.

You have a good start....so don't stress too much... :thumb:

June 16: Nothing significant.

June 17: Soil still moist. RH in tent is 50%. Temperature is 77 degree F. I don't expect to water again until June 18 or 19.

June 19: Watered both Tessa and Wendy – just short of a gallon for each, in divided doses. pH in 6.3, runoff pH 7.0. Portions of Wendy's older, biggest leaves curling upwards. Not sure what that's all about. Tessa looks great especially considering she was being strangled by the seed's inner membrane when she popped out from under soil.

Wendy
1.jpg

Tessa
2.jpg

June 20: Today marks 2 weeks since Tessa and Wendy popped above soil but didn't get light because of the seed membrane issue. Wendy's largest leaves are still moist but curling upwards. From research I've done, leaves curled upwards like this are due to either excessive heat, root problems (possibly due to over-watering, which I was doing), or humidity extremes, which I've had as well. Tessa is smaller but looks great.

June 21: Within the last 24 hours, Wendy is looking better... and has grown a lot. She's quite a bit bigger Tessa. That's the genetics of the particular strain I guess – Wendy is Northern Lights and Tessa is White Widow.

Wendy
3.jpg

Tessa
4.jpg

At this point, in order to maintain a stable growing environment, I'm leaving the grow tent door open, the CFL lights on 24/7 and the humidifier set on “constant - low”. Doing so seems to maintain a relatively consistent humidity of between 50-53% and temperature of 77-80 degrees F.

In a week or so, I'm going to place Tessa and Wendy under the ViparSpectra PAR700 LED light and set aside the CFLs.

Back
Top Bottom