First Journal - 5x5 - LEDs

TwinTurboLsx

Hey folks, figured I'd throw up my little adventure here and let you guys ride along. Also would like a little help diagnosing an issue I'm having. Anyways, let me throw out the specs of the grow....

Strains: I'm growing are blue kush auto and trans siberian autos. Been a while since I've grown, so figured I'd give these autos a shot and warm up again.

Area: I've got a couple lighthouse 5x5 grow tents

Lighting: now this is interesting. Because I ended up buying several lights. I wanted to try different ones and compare them to achieve the best results possible. So I have 2x 600W's, 4x mars hydro 96x5 reflectors, 1x mars 2 1200, and also have a 1000 watt cool tube vented double ended HPS/MH. This grow I'm using all led.

Medium: foxfarm ocean forest soil. Diluted with some seedling soil which is mostly peat Moss. About a 50/50 mix. Also made by Fox farms. Supposed to be ph'd between 6.3 - 6.8.

Pots: for the pots I'm using a smart pot knockoff I picked up at a local hydro store. The fabric bag type. They're roughly 3 gallon pots. I've got 9 of them. 5 blue kush and 4 trans siberian.

Been feeding just water. I'm on the 7th to 8th day depending on when you want to start counting. They broke ground around the 10th. Barely.

Anyway, I'm gonna upload some pics and would like you guys to help me out. I've only been giving them water until they reach the 2 week period. Anyways, 3 to 4 of the 9 plants I have, their leaves are sort of curling up on the sides. Or one even looks like it's twisting. Which from everything I've been reading is a sign of ph issues. But today I tested the ph on the run off, after I watered and it was just below 6. Checked my tap water I've been using is right around 7.3, which I thought was around 6.5 but I recalibrated my ph meter and found out it was higher. So it could be that but I figured the soil would have brought it down a little. Also the leaves have small discoloration. Like faint yellow spots on the leaves. Maybe the soil is still to hot for them? I have the lights sitting right at 22" above them. Maybe 21 since they've grown a bit. But they started out alot higher. And I moved them down slowly and the growth has really taken off since then. Maybe I should raise them back up? They're not on full power. Just veg. Anyways, here's some pics of my setup. I'm also germinating 3 blue dream, and 3 THC bomb for a nice full scrog grow. The seeds are just breaking ground. For that grow I'm using the mars 2 1200 and probably 4x 96/5 reflectors around the square 1200. That should be complete canopy coverage. Been ordering all kinda stuff to give me every advantage possible. I want to yield some weight on those 2 strains. Since both are heavy hitters. 6 of them in a 5x5 scrog should be sweet. Anyways. Here's pics.

20160910_140503_zps5nugrrgv.jpg

20160910_140600_zpsbsjrrszm.jpg
20160917_145750_zpsi7gdced4.jpg
20160919_131039_zpsttzgspru.jpg
20160917_145638_zps2vzetlw5.jpg
20160917_145731_zpsai7r8n82.jpg
20160919_130832_zpsxrdkis0i.jpg
20160919_130820_zpso2blzmwa.jpg
20160919_130854_zpsubb712lv.jpg

Looks awesome.

Do you find the strength of the LED is a little strong for seedlings? I know I did. It really inhibited their growth. I had to raise it quite a bit and when I did, their tune changed.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Looks awesome.

Do you find the strength of the LED is a little strong for seedlings? I know I did. It really inhibited their growth. I had to raise it quite a bit and when I did, their tune changed.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ya actually I'm thinking that's what is causing the slight irritation they're starting to display. These 600's, even though are on the veg setting, have those lenses and they're seeming to be pretty powerful. I'm thinking that's what is making the leaves curl and show some small light spots. So I raised them back up to around 36" to see it that will help them relax. But besides the little bit of that hiccup, they're doing great. I'm really looking forward to the scrog grow I'll be starting here soon. I've got plenty of lighting options to experiment with, so it should be pretty interesting. One thing I'm fairly new to is advanced nutrients. So I'm taking it very easy with them.

It's my pleasure to be here.:thanks:Looking forward to more pics of your growing room.:cheer:
Hey Sara, read alot about you! Thanks for chiming in! My mars 2 1200 will be here in a day or two. That's going in my scrog tent. Looking forward to the grow! Thanks

Update. Day 11 on the trans siberian and blue kush auto. Still going well. Those 3 plants still showing some faint signs of something. Maybe calcium or nitrogen? Bottom 2 leaves lightening up a bit, and new growth is pretty light colored. Not sure. If anyone has any feedback, I'm posting a couple close ups of them.

Also got the new mars 1200 for the scrog tent. Took a pic of that. The other 2 mars lights will be in there also. Debating adding an additional 2 reflectors but we'll see.

I'm curious on something tho.... since we always hear that the flowering cycle requires the red spectrum of light, is it possible to run only the red (flowering) lights on the LED'S and achieve the same results? Like if I was to use the 1200 and then use the 2x p600s on the flowering lights only? If so that would save quite a bit of energy. Might do a side by side experiment with that next.

I'm guessing this is a new model because it's a 1200 and has both bloom and growth settings. Which is only supposed to be available on the 1600. Also unlike other lights and previous models of mars, when you turn the bloom lights on, only, the fans also come on. 2/4 of them. Which makes sense, since only half the lights are on when doing so. So I'm guessing this is a new feature. But Sara may know better than me...

Back
Top Bottom