First order of business

Bud-L80

Okay, so I haven't been very active on here as far as posting goes but i HAVE been reading a lot. I have done a lot of outdoor but indoor is a bit of mystery to me. I think i have a lot of the basic pricipals down and a lot of it iant that different than what i am used to. I understand the lighting hours, and difference between hps and mh. I get the ph thing, but to be honest, it sounds like a bit of a pain but im ready to deal with it. Im going to be startingy first ever indoor in just a few weeks amd i do have some questions about nutrients. We used to just use this stuff that came in a ten pound bag that was 20-20-20. Thats all we ever used. So i guess i should ask, what is a good fertilzer? I mean 20-20-20 just doesnt fit any of the many different fertilizers i have read about. Also, is a "cool tube" fixture better than a "bat wing" fixture? The guy at the nursery just WOULDN'T give me a straight answer about this or the nutrients. Please, help a girl out!

I got 1 of those 10lb bags of 14-14-14 that I use @ a rate of 1-2teaspoons per 5gal pot-- applied 1 week prior to 12/12... it'll get me thru the stretch & n2 pre flower well enuff.
When in flower I use the GH 3-part nutes, Ca/Mag, molasses, & Humbolt honey.
I think the main diff between reflectors IS HOW you plan on cooling the light-- the cooltube wil constrain some of the heat as your fans exhaust the tube. A batwing has no constraints for the heat the lamp is gonna put out-- your'e running AC & fans to dissipate the heat.

I think you might be asking about nutrient ratios. The cookie cutter ratios are: Vegetation, 3-1-2 (or 30-10-20 because its the same ratio only stronger per ml). The flowering ratio is 1-2-3. Now there are all sorts of stages so
e growers consider as well. They are very involved in the process but as a newbie (as I am) I would keep it simple. Also keep in mind that these are just suggestions (more like templates if you will) you use these ratios as a start but as you do your thing, you may find yourself making adjustments. In fact you almost certainly will, if the pros are right at all. You may go with a more detailed ratio for flowering like 12-18-28. But time will tell.
As far as the fixture goes, I have the same question. I hear the cool tube is good for that but there's other fixtures that let you vent straight through the fixture. So I don't know. You might want to go to another garden supply store! Almost every one I have ever been to has really helpful folks working there.

I use Blue Planet Nutrients. I highly recommend the organic line. And the 7 part kit is only 75 bucks. Can't beat the price .... very excellent product.

why would nutes inside or out be different?

however, if you are also switching from earth to containers, then lower doses would probably be advisable.

Well, I know that an outdoor plant isn't going to require different nutrients but I know that 20-20-20 isn't what most people use indoors (or outdoors). It just seems like outdoor growing didn't have such detailed issues. I mean, our biggest issue was deer, rabbits, wood rats, and RAIDERS. Indoors there is somuch more stuff to keep an eye on. Ph levels, parts per million, wattage of light vs how far the plans is from the light, enzymes, ...the list kinda goes on and on! With outdoor the plants are allowed to get as tall as they want too, in the room I have, I can't grow them that tall...not even close! So the nutrients we were giving them outdoor isn't what I would want to give them indoor. Or at least not if I want a good yield. Maybe I'm wrong but I didn't read about anyone giving 20-20-20 to their girls. I just want to do this right. I'm sure to make some mistakes but I'm trying to minimize them.

Its largely because there isn't really a straight answer. And open bulb bat wing will provide a bit more output as its not passing through glass first. However u have the element of added heat. The cooltube keeps the room much cooler which is what's most important in my situation so I use aircooled. The choice comes down to what fits ur needs best. Only u know what's best for ur garden.

As for the nutrients, use em man. I see so many people flock out and by specific nutes (which are largely lacking many necessities and improper ratios) when they have plenty of Schultz or jacks laying around. I vote use the 202020 til she's gone. I think you'll find its mores than sufficient

I mostly agree with the above.

the chemical ferts like your 20-20-20 contains other micro elements which are appreciated by the plants and in one form or another, lots of people use your stuff (and may or may not know it).

the problem with the chemicals seems to be salt build up which then requires a flushing of your container; however, this is typically due to over-fertilizing, it seems and can be avoided. besides too much flushing of the containers does NOT seem to benefit the plants which like to get a bit dry, in my experience.

I'm not consistent about it, but on occasion I foliar feed my gals with micro nutrients and chelated calcium, just in case I haven't given them something via my teas. but I do give them a very mild feeding of 15-15-15 during veg and 10-52-17 during flowering. once.

other than that, they get my tea, areated for 48 hours. I stick to this list: chicken, worm, fish, and bat; Epsom salt, inorganic sulfur, Azomite, dolomite lime; molasses and kelp. my plants are happy and healthy. (besides, I have no access to all that fancy name brand stuff.)

if you incorporate dolomite in your soil, you needn't worry about pH. you do want to pH your teas, I gather. I only recently got a good pH meter and a TDS meter, so I'm no longer just guessing. tools are cool.

as to the height of your plants, everybody is into LST, HST, SoG, SCROG...........there are ways to keep your plants short and still productive. some people cut the veg period short, according to what they post, to keep them short.

pure sativas can be a problem because of their height and flowering time. if you're using HPS for up to four months of just the 12/12, your electric bill is going to shock you. what I read on the forums, most people are cramming a full outdoor season into four months or less. this may work for you and it may not.

I get the same impression about indoor growing posts. like a kid with a new hot rod, they are putting everything in the world onto their plants and spending a whole lot of money because it's cool, not because it works, though they brag so much.............

stick to what you know works and don't get too excited about these sensational posts.

relax and just do your thing. you can use your same ferts and nutes indoors. just remember your containers can't expel any excess of what you give them like growing in the earth. feed accordingly.

best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom