First Outdoor Adventure: Organic Greenhouse Grow With TheFrizz

TheFrizz

Hello friends and welcome to my 5th grow journal! :welcome::thanks:

A bit of background info- my husband and I recently moved out to a 1.5 acre farm in Western WA. We have a beautiful son who just turned one year old, and he loves to help with yardwork! We also have 6 ducks and 3 chickens, they are very generous with their poopies and I plan to put their "stuff" to good use in the garden!

This time around I will be giving outdoors a shot. When I first started growing, my approach was focused on efficiency and yield- I wanted two lbs in a 4x4 tent. Now I care about my plants on a more spiritual level. I believe that being grown directly in the Earth, under real sunlight, with the protection of a greenhouse, will result in the "happiest" plants. :yummy:

Here is my shift in methodology since 2016:

Grow #1 (Indoors)- Hydro with 100% chemical based nutes
Grow #2 (Indoors)- Hydro with 100% chemical based nutes
Grow #3 (Indoors)- Hydro with about 50/50 organic vs chemical nutes
Grow #4 (Indoors)- Organic homemade super soil, no chemical additives
New Grow #5 (Outdoors)- Organic homemade super soil, no chemical additives

I noticed that adding organics improved the terpene profile and smoothness of the buds, and the plants responded to stress better. The quality of the purely organic soil buds blew me away, so it's time to try again on a larger scale!

The greenhouse we ordered is 15 feet long, 7 feet wide, and 7 feet tall. It will be arriving in a few days. Here is a basic image of how the space will be used:

Each plant will have roughly 3.5' x 3.5' for its root mass. If the plants get too big, I will just move the whole greenhouse north by a couple feet. This would center the plants and provide much more space.

Soil Preparation:

Step 1- Remove sod from a strip of ground 3.5' x 15'.
Step 2- Break up clay and rocks with pick
Step 3- Dump rocky dirt into sifter, dispose of rocks, keep dirt
Step 4- Work in soil amendments (lime, compost, rotted leaves, chicken and duck manure, ashes, enzymes, etc).
Step 5- Add nitrogen fixers as a living mulch (clover, peas, etc)

Here are some photos showing the process of soil preparation. It is rather labor intensive- our native "topsoil" is just clay and sand with lots of rocks. I am on Spring Break now though so plenty of time to dig!

The strains for this grow are:

Skunk #1 (classic strain, parent of many popular hybrids)
Wonder Woman (fruity, dense, funky, with big yields)
Northern Lights (my favorite all around Indica, can't wait to see how she does outdoors)
Black Hyena (Blue Dream x White Widow -see Hyena Murica's grows for more info)

The seeds were started in Rapid Rooters that I buried in homemade organic potting soil. I put them outside in the elements with our veggie and herb starts. They are just starting to emerge, will include pics in a day or so when all four have popped.

Tomorrow the excavation continues, I will update as more progress is made!

Thank you guys for following this grow, I am so excited to try something new and can't wait to see how the plants turn out!
:thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Hey Frizz! I’m in - wouldn’t miss it :)

I loved your last 4 girls in one pot adventure a lot and am really looking forward to this one. Nice lineup of strains and great green house setup plan. Ooh i’d like to do something like that. :yummy:

That shovel is huge :eek: - are you an amazon? :battingeyelashes:

:popcorn:

Thanks
Hey Frizz! I’m in - wouldn’t miss it :)

I loved your last 4 girls in one pot adventure a lot and am really looking forward to this one. Nice lineup of strains and great green house setup plan. Ooh i’d like to do something like that. :yummy:

That shovel is huge :eek: - are you an amazon? :battingeyelashes:

:popcorn:
Thanks Amy!! Great to have you aboard! I used a snow shovel to scoop the rocks and dirt out of the pit since stuff kept falling off the pointy shovel. Heavy though, yes about 40 lb per full scoop! #mama muscles

Howdy--I'm an outdoor grower in the PNW, so I'll be following along. Looks great so far, nice work. Outdoor grows are such a pleasure!

Grow on!

Howdy--I'm an outdoor grower in the PNW, so I'll be following along. Looks great so far, nice work. Outdoor grows are such a pleasure!

Grow on!
Welcome Halped, awesome to have you aboard sir!! I love having outdoor veterans here for guidance!

Quick update-

It has been rainy the last two days so I haven't done much more digging. Luckily the rain is softening up the dirt so it will be easier to handle the rest. I want the whole pit to be a minimum of 16 inches deep, with the rocks and clay broken up down to 20 inches.

All four seeds came up, but a squirrel or some other critter ate Black Hyena :rip:. Hazards of starting seeds outside! So I took it as a sign from the CannaGods to switch the strain, and went with VC/DC instead. I replanted a fresh VC/DC seed in the same Rapid Rooter, she can feed off of Hyena's roots to catch up to the other 3. #cannabalism

VC/DC is a CBD strain that is an offspring of AC/DC (as one might guess) and has a nice orange flavor. THC-CBD ratio can vary from 1-1 to 1-20 depending on pheno. I grew this strain in my 3rd grow and both plants were super frosty and made a well balanced oil for medicinal use.

Will update with pics when the weather turns decent again. The greenhouse is supposed to arrive within the next 3 days, once it's set up I can work without thinking about rain, yay!

~TheFrizz

Hi folks! It's been a couple weeks and the sun is finally here, yay! :cheer:We spent 4/20 weekend working on the soil and setting up the greenhouse.

Here are some pics showing the soil amendment process, the bed ended up being about 14 inches deep:

Step 1: Sift out rocks so that the dirt is fine and soft

Step 2: Add dolomite lime and gypsum and rock phosphate

Step 3: Add rotted leaves/manure mix (poplar and maple leaf blend, organic poopies from our free range ducks and chickens)

Step 4: Repeat this process for the whole 15' x 4' bed, rototill to mix thoroughly.

Step 5: Add another layer of sifted dirt, minerals, compost, and the old sod that was removed. Rototill again to mix and break up sod chunks.

I would like to continue stacking soil layers for another 6-10 inches to create a raised bed. These higher layers will include bone meal, blood meal, fish extract, kelp extract, and other organics that will improve the biodiversity of the soil.

Here is the greenhouse- I only spent 120 bucks on it so we will see how it holds up. It had really good reviews for the price. :)

View from the inside- we are leaving the left side as the "maintenance path" for now. We will re-center the greenhouse over the plants when they get big.

Here are the babies! The 4th seed got eaten again (squirrel, crow, who knows?), so I will listen to Nature's will and stick with just 3 plants. It has been really cold and wet outside so the seedlings are a lot happier in the greenhouse! I think they will start to grow faster now.

Next steps: Finish building soil/raised bed. Get the girls in the ground by mid-May at the latest. Add some clover or another nitrogen fixer to help build up the soil faster.

Thanks for reading, as always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome!
~TheFrizz

Nice work! Looks great! You shouldn't have to do much more to your plot for the next few years, 'cept hit it with some calcium sources, compost, & some of your manure. With healthy soil, no till's the way to go. The hard work's done!

BTW, I had great results last yr with this DIY calcium supplement: Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells from the sage & helpful @Emilya

Grown on!

Nice work! Looks great! You shouldn't have to do much more to your plot for the next few years, 'cept hit it with some calcium sources, compost, & some of your manure. With healthy soil, no till's the way to go. The hard work's done!

BTW, I had great results last yr with this DIY calcium supplement: Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells from the sage & helpful @Emilya

Grown on!

Thanks Halped! I am a lazy gardener so the idea of no-till soil appeals immensely :circle-of-love:

What a great tutorial on making calcium phosphate! I will give it a shot, we are currently composting our eggshells but it would be nice to have a more concentrated application. I wonder how the chemical composition would differ if I made one batch with duck eggshells and one with chicken eggshells?

Thanks Halped! I am a lazy gardener so the idea of no-till soil appeals immensely :circle-of-love:

What a great tutorial on making calcium phosphate! I will give it a shot, we are currently composting our eggshells but it would be nice to have a more concentrated application. I wonder how the chemical composition would differ if I made one batch with duck eggshells and one with chicken eggshells?
There'd probably be some diff. between supplements made with duck & chicken eggshells, but I think both would work well.
Composting the shells is great! (I do it, too) It helps kick up the Ca when you use yr compost for top dressing.

But eggshells break down slowly. so it's nice to have the DIY supplement, (BTW I didn't use as a foliar, just mixed it in when I watered).
The supplement worked great not only on weed
but my tomatoes & peppers really like the supplement, too.
As a master gardener friend, who's adamantly no till, says: "Lazy gardening is often good gardening." Nature's a very effective agent for soil health.

You'll have great grow. Grow on!

It’s looking very excellent MsFrizz :D Very excited :popcorn: nice line up too!

made one batch with duck eggshells and one with chicken eggshells?
Equally good I would expect! I know the protein in duck eggs is richer, but have no idea if that translates to what’s in the shells :hmmmm:

:ciao:

There'd probably be some diff. between supplements made with duck & chicken eggshells, but I think both would work well.
Composting the shells is great! (I do it, too) It helps kick up the Ca when you use yr compost for top dressing.

But eggshells break down slowly. so it's nice to have the DIY supplement, (BTW I didn't use as a foliar, just mixed it in when I watered).
The supplement worked great not only on weed
but my tomatoes & peppers really like the supplement, too.
As a master gardener friend, who's adamantly no till, says: "Lazy gardening is often good gardening." Nature's a very effective agent for soil health.

You'll have great grow. Grow on!

Tasty looking produce there Halped- both buds and veggies! I will make a batch of the supplement in a couple weeks, seems like it will be great to have around the farm. I bet the fruit and nut trees would enjoy a taste :)
It’s looking very excellent MsFrizz :D Very excited :popcorn: nice line up too!

Equally good I would expect! I know the protein in duck eggs is richer, but have no idea if that translates to what’s in the shells :hmmmm:

:ciao:

Woohoo thank you Amy!!! We are super excited too! :blunt:

Yeah, the duck eggs are wayyy richer compared to chicken eggs, mmm so creamy and good :drool:The shells are really hard in comparison too, but I dunno if it's because they have a different ratio of elements or simply cause the shells are thicker... lol.

Today I noticed roots poking out the bottom of the containers! I considered putting the girls in the ground, but I'd rather wait til they are bigger and the soil is complete. So I transplanted them into some pots I found in the barn- they look like 2 gallons but I'm not 100% sure.

Here are some pics of the process:

I ended up adding two organic fertilizers, lime, gypsum, wood ash, dry leaves/manure blend, old potting soil, and fresh garden soil. Lots of minerals and funky stuff in there. :cheer:

After mixing the "dry" ingredients, I added a gallon of water from our duck pond with 1 tbsp fish fertilizer mixed in. This should help activate the microbial processes in the new soil blend.

Transplanting process:

Step 1- Add layer of rocks to bottom of pots for drainage/air flow.

Step 2- Fill pots with dirt, place container in middle and fill in around it.

Step 3- Remove container, line hole with Mykos (my favorite mycorrhizae brand). Place plant into hole, top off with soil.

I think the ladies will really start to take off now- it's good they have plenty of room. This will buy some more time to finish up the soil inside the greenhouse. :)

Thanks for reading and as always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome!
~TheFrizz

Hi folks! It's been a month or so, and we have two out of three ladies still with us. One of our ducks snuck into the greenhouse and ate poor Skunky shortly after transplanting. :rip: Oh well, more room for these two to spread out!

The ladies are loving the homemade soil- here they are after topping yesterday:

I have been behind on getting the greenhouse soil finished- we have about 300 seedlings that still need to go into the veggie garden first :cheer:. It's ok, the girls have plenty of room to grow into their pots! I will update after training them again or transplanting into the ground, whichever happens first.

Thanks for reading and as always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated!
~TheFrizz

Hello thefrizz, I love all of your grows and I’ve recently been looking for your post on botanicare, but I couldn’t find it. I was wondering if you could inform me on when and how to use it and what flavor you recommend, thanks, also I’ll be growing hydroponically with a set up similar to your blue dream grow but without the nets. :ganjamon:

Hello thefrizz, I love all of your grows and I’ve recently been looking for your post on botanicare, but I couldn’t find it. I was wondering if you could inform me on when and how to use it and what flavor you recommend, thanks, also I’ll be growing hydroponically with a set up similar to your blue dream grow but without the nets. :ganjamon:
Thanks Sopo, it's good to have you here! I used the flavor called "Raw" which adds a general sweetness but not a specific flavor (i.e. grape). I gave it to them at the recommended dosage once a week during the last 6 weeks or so of flowering. :cheer: I hope your grow goes well, it sounds like you are off to a great start!

Howdy folks! It's been awhile, but we finally got the greenhouse cleared out! The ladies have been in the ground for two days now and are loving their new home :circle-of-love:

I lined each hole with a 1.5 inch thick gooey layer of compost, fish fert, wood ashes, volcanic ash, lime, and rock phosphate. My veggie plants have really appreciated this extra boost to grow into during transplanting so I decided to give it a shot with these girls too.

Step 1. Dig holes
Step 2. Line holes with yummy stuff
Step 3. Transplant and fill holes, water them in nicely
Step 4. Add bamboo supports and mulch underneath
Step 5. Train plants onto the bamboo
Step 6. Grow grow grow!

Next steps are...water them and enjoy the show! I am sorry that it took 2 more months than expected to get the plants in the ground but I think they will make up for it once we hit flowering time :)

Thanks for reading, questions, comments, and feedback are always appreciated!
~TheFrizz

The girls have grown a lot in the last two months and are starting to flower now. I think the greenhouse will just barely be big enough to contain them, Northern Lights is almost done stretching. The roof is 7 feet high at the center, for reference. :circle-of-love:

Here is a pic taken yesterday after their 2nd round of defol:

Time to fatten up now! I am looking forward to a sea of 2 foot long buds at harvest time :cheer:

I will update once a week now that we are hitting the home stretch, hope all of you and your plants are doing well!

:Namaste::thanks:
~TheFrizz

Back
Top Bottom