First Outdoor Adventure: Organic Greenhouse Grow With TheFrizz

High MsFrizz! :ciao: Nice to see you around and the green house kids loook fantastic indeed.Really healthy and charging alone :D Glad you’re going well.

:thumb:
Thank you Amy!! We can't wait to see how this turns out. Your girls look amazing, I love that purple hue they have developed!

Update time!! Life got in the way for a bit, but I'm back to wrap this up! :cheer:

All in all it was a very successful grow. We ended up with about 3 lbs of bud, it is fluffier than my previous product but the quality is amazzzzzing! We sampled some buds just a week after washing them, and my husband (who has sensitive lungs) said it tasted better and was smoother than product we have had curing for 2+ years. The terpenes are insane, especially on Wonder Woman. I will write a more detailed smoke report later.

Here are some pics and notes for how the flowering stretch and harvest turned out:

A couple cola shots, the thicker one is WW, slimmer buds from NL.

Preharvest, both ladies (WW in front, NL in back). WW ended up getting some PM, there was condensation dripping on her throughout flowering. That + wet + cold = mold. No biggie, I just trimmed away the icky parts and sprayed the rest with a friendly bacteria solution.

After harvesting WW, you can see NL in the background:

This was hilarious....after I finished WW, the whole greenhouse blew off NL! I was going to wait a day to harvest but I guess she was ready to go. Sometimes the universe works in mysterious ways...

Bud washing, the first bucket was water and hydrogen peroxide to kill any lingering mildew. Then I used a solution of sodium ascorbate (Vitamin C powder), raw manuka honey, and a type of tea called Jhoulang added to the other two buckets. I figured after hitting the buds with the peroxide, they could use some antioxidants. Honey is also great at destroying mold and bacteria.

WW wet, here she is post-harvest hanging in my old 4x4 tent.

NL after drying, here she is in my 4x8 tent. We left the leaves on and let them dry/cure old school for 3 weeks upside down.

Final harvest, those are my trusty 1.5 gallon jars. NL filled 4 of those jars, and I managed to fit WW into two C-vaults. As you can see we left a lot of the sugar leaves and small fan leaves on, I think this will help the flavor profile improve even more as they cure.

Conclusion: Growing outdoors is fun but scary. I will try it again this year but with supplemental lighting so we get denser buds. We basically had no sunlight this October, which is when the girls really needed the most light. I will utilize better airflow and check for excess moisture before any PM gets established.

In terms of plant care, this was the easiest grow by far. I think with a few tweaks next round I can have the best of both worlds- super tasty outdoor grown goodness, with the density of indoor buds.

Next update will be an official smoke report for both strains and some close up pics after curing a bit longer!

Thank you everyone for following and giving support, as always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome!
:Namaste::thanks:
~TheFrizz

Nice work! Nothing beats an outdoor grow.

Regarding the pm & sun, worth considering that this past fall was remarkably wet overcast & cold even by PNW standards (I can't remember a more consistently rainy Sept in the past 35 yrs).

Grow on!

Nice work! Nothing beats an outdoor grow.

Regarding the pm & sun, worth considering that this past fall was remarkably wet overcast & cold even by PNW standards (I can't remember a more consistently rainy Sept in the past 35 yrs).

Grow on!

Thank you Halped! I feel much better now hearing that it really was a tough growing season this fall. Definitely sold on outdoors, regardless of what the weather throws at us!

Your buds look fantastic & seems like the flavors & smells are top notch. What more could anyone want? So congrats, again, on the success. :bravo::adore:

Due to the weather, almost all outdoor growers in the PNW had some mold troubles this past fall.

I lost about 20% of my yield this past season. Which bothers me not at all. Great bud & what I grew cost me about $4/oz to produce, including estimated water costs. So outdoor growing's quite cost-effective, regardless of some of its travails in tough years -- & this past fall was about as tough as it gets.

My experience, including that with other outdoor growers, is that anti-mold treatments aren't very effective when weather makes rot inevitable. Spores are everywhere in the PNW & they never rest.

The weather did nothing to blunt my enthusiasm for outdoor growing--I'd much rather garden outdoors than fuss with pricey equipment indoors. Plus, outdoor growing doesn't have the carbon footprint of grid-dependent growing, which I'd hope folks care about in this day & age.

Greenhouse growing def. has its advantages (keeping the rain & dew off), but has its own challenges on the humidity/mold front. Plant pruning & training to improve ventilation is critically important in the PNW for outdoor growing. But other than that, I can't offer much experience-based help with greenhouse growing (other than ventilate, ventilate, ventilate), but there's many great greenhouse growers on this board that can help.

Enough rambling--great job on yr outdoor grow! It'll be easier & better next year! Guaranteed!

Grow on!

What did you use for your PM. I had it for an indoor grow and used 1 part 5% apple cider vinegar to 9 parts 7 PH water and a squirt of hand soap delivered as a foliar spray. Also good for prevention. Worked a treat.

Great suggestion Calvados! Did you use the ACV with the "mother" in it (Bragg's) or the filtered kind?

I used 1 tbsp per gallon of Southern Ag Natural Fungicide, which contains: 98.85% Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. This is a powerful strain that I have used to take care of root rot, damping off, cankers, mold, pretty much anything on my garden plants that looks funky. I just spray it on the affected area and it clears up in a day or two.

Your buds look fantastic & seems like the flavors & smells are top notch. What more could anyone want? So congrats, again, on the success. :bravo::adore:

Due to the weather, almost all outdoor growers in the PNW had some mold troubles this past fall.

I lost about 20% of my yield this past season. Which bothers me not at all. Great bud & what I grew cost me about $4/oz to produce, including estimated water costs. So outdoor growing's quite cost-effective, regardless of some of its travails in tough years -- & this past fall was about as tough as it gets.

My experience, including that with other outdoor growers, is that anti-mold treatments aren't very effective when weather makes rot inevitable. Spores are everywhere in the PNW & they never rest.

The weather did nothing to blunt my enthusiasm for outdoor growing--I'd much rather garden outdoors than fuss with pricey equipment indoors. Plus, outdoor growing doesn't have the carbon footprint of grid-dependent growing, which I'd hope folks care about in this day & age.

Greenhouse growing def. has its advantages (keeping the rain & dew off), but has its own challenges on the humidity/mold front. Plant pruning & training to improve ventilation is critically important in the PNW for outdoor growing. But other than that, I can't offer much experience-based help with greenhouse growing (other than ventilate, ventilate, ventilate), but there's many great greenhouse growers on this board that can help.

Enough rambling--great job on yr outdoor grow! It'll be easier & better next year! Guaranteed!

Grow on!

Thank you for the detailed feedback Halped! I agree, outdoor growing is awesome- even factoring in the greenhouse cost, this grow only cost about 200 bucks total. My other grows were more in the 500-1k range depending if I needed new gear or nutes.

Next year I will add 3 more fans to the greenhouse and get some CMH lights to supplement during flowering. This should help out with mildew prevention and up the yield/bud density.

Thanks again!!

Great suggestion Calvados! Did you use the ACV with the "mother" in it (Bragg's) or the filtered kind?

I used 1 tbsp per gallon of Southern Ag Natural Fungicide, which contains: 98.85% Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. This is a powerful strain that I have used to take care of root rot, damping off, cankers, mold, pretty much anything on my garden plants that looks funky. I just spray it on the affected area and it clears up in a day or two.

Hi. I don't remember. I live in the UK. It was nothing special. I got it at the grocery store. I read a bunch about it at the time. The short story is that PM can't exist with that level of acidity. The spray kills it immediately. Spraying when the conditions exist (high humidity and cold) prevent it from occurring. :nomo:

Hi. I don't remember. I live in the UK. It was nothing special. I got it at the grocery store. I read a bunch about it at the time. The short story is that PM can't exist with that level of acidity. The spray kills it immediately. Spraying when the conditions exist (high humidity and cold) prevent it from occurring. :nomo:

Excellent, I'll give that a shot next season! Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom