First Tent: Alot To Learn

Today is day 8 since sprouting. At this stage I can recognize which bean popped first. I’m really not sure where I should be at growth wise, but the sprouts/seedlings look healthy. I gradually upped the wattage and reached 100% on Saturday. My light is at 21”. My gut says I should drop to 18” at next lights out? Their color looks a bit light to me. Yesterday at lights on I fed at 25% strength. Today I don’t see any negative effects. Are there any special nutrients - micro, macro or other that I should or could use or need indoors? I never needed calmag outdoor for instance.

My inline fan doesn’t have a set control to cycle air at set times so I adjusted the humidity where it cycles at 62% dumps and pulls fresh air. Each cycle drops humidity to around 55%. Anything higher seem unnecessary.

I have decided that I will top 2 and FIM 1 as the reason I went with autos was to test and see what can be done indoor, I will be careful. When topping an auto, do you take the whole crown, or separate growth and take only the newest crown? For photos I always take only the newest while separating the new fans underneath. Advice is appreciated as I want to get this right. Thanks.

Watering as always is awkward with a seedling in a big pot. I know how to water them but am always concerned that water will saturate & compact the soil below. At the last minute I I decided to add about 1” of LICA to the bottom of the bags before adding soil. I hope this helps and not hurt.

I added some PVC 90’s to the two upper side ducts and pointed them towards the back. For photos I will add ducting to help with light intrusion. I am running a small desk fan towards the side and bottom from top periodically to disrupt and help strengthen the structure. I need to find something smaller I can run more often.
I’m still deciding if I will do anything outdoors, maybe 1 in a greenhouse with some peppers and chili’s.

Kind of rambling here the amnesia goes to my head.
Enjoy!

DSC00139.JPG

DSC00140.JPG

DSC00141.JPG

DSC00142.JPG

what is with all the other plant life around your weed plants , get rid of it as it only steals nutes from your plants before the roots get intertwined with each other
All gone!

I have 'micro topped' above the 3rd or 4th node when it is only a couple of cm long and can be wiggle/waggled back and forward and after a few times it comes away and heals nicely.

Or I've done the same with scissors but waited until there are a couple more nodes and left a 'stalk' at the cut which helps reduce the chance of a main stem split later. But having said that I have had spilts before and they haven't been a big deal, they can be taped up, and the plant just gets on with it, and who knows according to some that maybe a split helps add some potency, but I've got no idea on that.

I have tried FIM'ing too, not sure what I'd suggest, other than to say this grow I topped and didn't FIM.

I can't help with the light height sorry.

Its day 11, on day 9 I fed nutrients at 60%, this morning I can see the slightest trace of leaf burn on the largest. Just a touch of yellow on the tips, I’m really hoping I didn’t harm them. With a photo I wouldn’t worry and just use as a barometer for the next feed.

Today I gave 1.5 liters of water each, not really any runoff. Maybe a few tablespoons in each, there are some LICA balls in the bottom of each pot. They are just about ready for a first real watering. Will keep top moist and probably give a proper watering when next dry.

The light is at 19” and running at 100%.
Enjoy the day!

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

DSC00149.JPG

I believed similar until I started seeing the results of guys like @Apoc & @multiVortex. I think they make a good point that the vegging can be tricked to continue longer and hence build a bigger base for more buds. I've seen this to a far lessor extent on my first auto grow last year, how a fellow grow buddy also started a seed from the same packet and with zero plant training whereas mine was LST trained and his went to flowering 2-3 weeks sooner than mine and turned out about 1/3 smaller.

Anyway, if you guys are on your first grow you don't won't to be too ambitious, but for your future ambitions check out this thread page where both Apoc and Multivortex have posted some of their astonishing sized topped & trained auto plants where they turn that theory upside-down.:ganjamon:
Thanks for the link. I planned on being ambitious, not crazy so but enough to shoot for the best results possible. If it goes wrong I would hope to learn why. I see amazing looking topped & trained autos.
Timing and stress seem to be the key areas of concern.

Good morning! Today is day 14 and I couldn’t be happier with the growth so far. They’ve greened up and are moving quick. They have taken to the nutrients well, feeding at 75%. I still haven’t fully watered the pots.

This strain is known to grow tall and I have a short tent. This morning the largest was topped at the 5th, and the first node removed. Waiting to see how she responds and I will probably do the other 2 in a few days. I don’t know why I left the cotyledons.

Take care, enjoy the day.

DSC00150.JPG

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

Hello, yesterday I topped the last two at 15 days. The first that was done at 14 days is looking good today. This morning I can clearly see that the two young crowns have further developed. I will give until the weekend before starting with the restraints.

Yesterday was also the first full watering to minimal runoff. They all took close to 2 liters each. Nutrients don’t seem to faze them, will up the nutes again at next watering.

Happy growing!

DSC00157.JPG

DSC00158.JPG

DSC00159.JPG

I was looking through my Media file and saw, then remembered that I did try autos outdoors twice in Hawaii and forgot about it. Both times were shortly after a successful outdoor regular grow, that was more than 20 years since I had grown anything at all. I didn’t mean to be misleading when I said these were my 1st autos. I guarantee its my first indoor.

The 1st were grown in Hawaii, at the time I lived where is was hot and always sunny. I didn’t know Autos at all, they came out tough, green and potent. I didn’t like the taste or texture so I gave the bud away. I remember now, I had one Orange S. auto seed left when I moved to the rainy side between seasons. She was a beauty, but bud rot took her all in the end. I don’t mess with mold.

I did grow some beautiful sativa's on the rainy, north side, unfortunately those pics were lost. I also remember I stopped posting here as even though I participated, I had very little interest in what I posted at the time. Its all good, I now do this for reference.

I will always comment and help when I can help. I often ask how to do questions as a gauge to what I am doing, no offence if I don't always follow advice. I am not good at small talk, but I try .

I truly forgot I grew autos. Its ironic that I am growing a strain now that I forgot I grew, and am now growing again.

Advice: don't smoke strong sativa if you want to post.

Enjoy the process!

DSC0013318.JPG

DSC0013811.JPG

DSC0014014.JPG

phot CC.JPG

photo_CCF.JPG

This morning I started with some training on two, the third I am giving another couple days. They all responded well to topping. Its day 19 and they are growing strong.

DSC00162.JPG

DSC00163.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

Everything is going well so far, its day 22.

All three were topped, two have had limited LST. The one without the LST has much less nodal spacing and much more growth between the nodes. The two that had the new tops bent display much more stretch and less volume of growth. I will let the non LST’d plant go awhile before lightly separating the mains. As an observation, it may be better to let nodes stack up before manipulation on fresh tops?

No pistols are showing yet although the new nodes have started to stagger. The larger, more stretched out one has a little bit of leaf-tip claw. I don’t think N toxic but more a trait? Plants are fairly green so I slowly gave each .5 liter of plain water this AM. I will keep an eye on things. I’m only feeding the recommended early veg dosages, with slightly less of part 2(PK). With the accelerated growth of autos I would think they would be closer to late veg. There is definitely a new learning curve for autos.

I couldn’t be happier with my set up so far, the exhaust is probably overkill but the fan is set to max at speed 2 out of 10 and ramps up if needed from 1. I will make some changes for light intrusion when I finish the autos. The exhaust, sensors and their controller allow me to maintain a fairly precise environment. Lights on I set a high heat of 82, it dumps to around 79 and starts again. The humidity set at 62 and drops to around 58%. Either can trigger, both balance it out well. Lights off is similar. Technology at work.

I will take a few pics at 3:30, lights off. Enjoy!

Those ladies are looking great and healthy. Good job on the topping and training, I always top my autos unless they just don't show the vigor. Majority of them are fine with it, autos have come a long way and been bred with hardier strains. A lot of people years ago would say how they were so delicate or need to be left alone, or had nutrient issues. You don't see a lot of that now with newer auto strains.

I'm going to sub up for your journey and watch these autos grow. I need to restock on autos, off to the seed bank haha

Those ladies are looking great and healthy. Good job on the topping and training, I always top my autos unless they just don't show the vigor. Majority of them are fine with it, autos have come a long way and been bred with hardier strains. A lot of people years ago would say how they were so delicate or need to be left alone, or had nutrient issues. You don't see a lot of that now with newer auto strains.

I'm going to sub up for your journey and watch these autos grow. I need to restock on autos, off to the seed bank haha
Thank you, happy to have you aboard.

This morning I did bit more defoliation & tightening of the restraints. Going to give it 4 or 5 days and take some more. I’m glad I didn’t get aggressive with the LST, starting to get some competition of the mains. I like when they all want to be on top..

DSC00178.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00180.JPG

DSC00181.JPG

Hey dick, I have only grown a couple of autos and one was a real runt that I confirmed with a second seed, and the other gave nearly 4 oz, but I have read where some folk have even pulled a pound from one, quite astonishing. Personally I prefer quality over quantity but it'd be nice to have both. Have you found any really outstanding auto strains?

Have you found any really outstanding auto strains?
I can't say I've found any outstanding ones yet, it's been a few years since I've even grown any autos so they've come a long a way since then. There are some big producers out there though. I just put in a seed order last night to restock on some autos for this summers outdoor grow.

Back
Top Bottom