First Tent: Alot To Learn

This morning I did bit more defoliation & tightening of the restraints. Going to give it 4 or 5 days and take some more. I’m glad I didn’t get aggressive with the LST, starting to get some competition of the mains. I like when they all want to be on top..
Hey Stinker, it is great when they respond like that!

One thing I found with the only auto that I have so far trained with LST, was that how it stayed in veg for nearly 3 weeks longer so therefore it grew a bigger base and produced more buds. A grow buddy started a seed from the same packet on the same day, and he didn't train his and it flowered 3 weeks earlier and he got 2.5 and I got just under 4oz.

I have tried defoliation on previous grows but I still don't know whether it achieves more yield or not. This grow I haven't done any at all just to see what happens, maybe next grow I might give defoliation another go. Schwazzing is an extreme style of defoliation that sounds interesting too.

One thing I found with the only auto that I have so far trained with LST, was that how it stayed in veg for nearly 3 weeks longer so therefore it grew a bigger base and produced more buds. A grow buddy started a seed from the same packet on the same day, and he didn't train his and it flowered 3 weeks earlier and he got 2.5 and I got just under 4oz.
Something to remember here is that 1 seed from a pack may not be the exact same as another from the same pack. There are likely a number of different pheno/genotypes in a strain when you receive seeds. Hard to compare one seed/plant to the next unless it's a clone. So the 2 plants you speak of could have been totally different to begin with. Just something to think about, that could be why the flowering times were so different.

I can't say I've found any outstanding ones yet, it's been a few years since I've even grown any autos so they've come a long a way since then. There are some big producers out there though. I just put in a seed order last night to restock on some autos for this summers outdoor grow.
I only grow outside, and mostly photos, but whatever I choose it is only once a year, so I feel some sense of wanting to skip straight to whatever the most outstanding strains are to consider rather than take a lucky dip.

Something to remember here is that 1 seed from a pack may not be the exact same as another from the same pack. There are likely a number of different pheno/genotypes in a strain when you receive seeds. Hard to compare one seed/plant to the next unless it's a clone. So the 2 plants you speak of could have been totally different to begin with. Just something to think about, that could be why the flowering times were so different.
Yes good point and very true.

I only grow outside, and mostly photos, but whatever I choose it is only once a year, so I feel some sense of wanting to skip straight to whatever the most outstanding strains are to consider rather than take a lucky dip.
I hear ya there my friend, takes so long to grow and get thru all the interesting strains that you just want to find the good ones right away lol. If you are looking for big autos for outdoors, there's a few strains there that have xl/XXL in the name, those should be large autos. Not sure if that helps your decisions or not haha

I hear ya there my friend, takes so long to grow and get thru all the interesting strains that you just want to find the good ones right away lol. If you are looking for big autos for outdoors, there's a few strains there that have xl/XXL in the name, those should be large autos. Not sure if that helps your decisions or not haha
Yeah nah, thanks but quality first, and then try to grow that bigger! :laugh:

Yeah nah, thanks but quality first, and then try to grow that bigger! :laugh:
My camera is not very good, this is a random bud of a strain I grew outdoors last season. I enjoy it.

DSC00184.JPG

Day 25 I’m seeing the first pistils. Will give mostly N next feed and then start with the P&K.

My tent is short 5’3”. I don’t know why I thought a shorter tent was a good idea.

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00186.JPG

Pistols have started showing up. There is a noticeable difference in the amount of pistols based on the amount of training and defoliation each was given The less defoliation and training received, the faster they are maturing.

We have turned the corner on watering. It was taking 3 to 4 days for the water to be consumed. The plants are now eager for water/food after 48 hours. One more watering with mostly N, then I will start upping the P&K. I received a 250 ml sample of terpinator and will also start adding with the next feed.

I have been maintaining the light at roughly 18". When would you shorten the distance for flowering? Any ideas how much these might stretch? The strain is mostly sativa.

Other than light sensitivity, are there any other advantages you see to autos over photos? Time to maturity does not seem to be much faster than say a 4/5 week veg.

I'm amazed at the size and yield of some of the autos I've seen on here. The quality is also impressive. The few autos I grew outside years ago were tough and woody. It was most probably due to a hot harsh environment.

I'm already planning my 1 plant outdoor and the next indoor photo period run. Are 4 plants in 3 gal bags with a 5 week veg too many plants for a 2'3" x 2'3" tent ?

I am looking at fans to use as for a forced air intake. Has anyone used a wall ceiling type exhaust (bathroom) fan with a grill. I am considering hanging one as a intake through one of the tent ports. I think a black one would look ready made for a tent. Some appear to be very quiet and strong.

Thank you following & the input. Enjoy!

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

DSC00190.JPG

Day 30. Freshly watered and fed roughly 40 minutes after lights on. Pistols have been showing for a few days. The canopy is developing well; the lower growth is catching up to the mains. I’m running out of room to pull the mains down much more. It should work out.

One of the plants wants to claw (R rear), it’s odd as it’s not over watered or overfed. When I amended the soil there were some balls of worm castings that were not completely broken up that went into the last grow bag. I tried to break them up in the bag but the mix was damp, I think these balls are holding some extra moisture and are causing the plant to claw. So far it hasn’t affected growth that I can see. Its actually always been a bit ahead of the others. I’m hoping in flower it balances out.

I like using the bags. For my size tent they don’t over-humidify and are nearly/totally dry at 48 hrs. I need to see if they don’t dry as fast in flower. Next indoor I may amend soil to hold water a little longer.

I really like the control and cleanliness of the indoor grow. Saying that, I can’t wait until I'm able to start outdoors, this year I am limited to one. I’m still deciding on what strain - either Dos Si Dos 33 or Gorilla Zkittlez in a 6’x6’ greenhouse.

Enjoy the day!

DSC00191.JPG

DSC00193.JPG

DSC00194.JPG

DSC00195.JPG

Morning of day 32… Sorry if I am over-posting for such a small grow. It gives me a good record to look back on. I will try to give a longer period between posts.

I really like growing indoors. When I started ordering everything for the setup it seemed like a hassle and I was only setting up for indoor out of necessity. Next grow will be photos.

Everything is really stretching and it has only just started. Pistols are long and filling in the new growth. With this last spurt the mains have really jumped ahead of the lower growth. I’m running out of room to pull the mains down much more, this weekend I will work on evening out the canopy again. Any idea of how much stretch I will get from this point?

One plant has clawed leaves since around day 10. It has always looked like over watering or N toxic, it’s not, the growth is good and only the clawing is observed. I am trying to ignore it but it is perplexing (front in these pics).

It’s been a trial and error thing as far as light height at this point. I had a bit of tip burn but it seems to be more from the light than nutrients. At this point I have stopped adjusting the height and am letting the growth get closer to the light. From what I gather in flower I want to shoot for 10” to 16” from the canopy? I’m really not sure but I am sure it will work out.

Watering has become somewhat of an issue I never experienced. Each bag only takes a bit over 1 liter before runoff; I have been giving that liter and then adding another roughly 4 hours later. The issue is the pots are nearly, or are totally dry after 36 hours. For the size bags and the size plants I would have thought I could get close to three days between watering. This was unexpected.

Enjoy the day!

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00198.JPG

Sorry if I am over-posting for such a small grow. It gives me a good record to look back on. I will try to give a longer period between posts.
Journals are great for future reference to look back and establish when you did this or that. When I have done so I have often wished I had left more entries.

Hey stinker,
Everything's looking good.

I've got a 2'6"×2'6" tent with a ts1000 inside, and I've just purchased some orange sherbet auto seeds, so I'm along for the ride.
Exciting.:thumb:
Hey Listersmeghead, did you start your grow? I'd be interested to see how its coming along. Take care.

Hey stinker.
I'm just coming to the end of my current grow, I spent 9 hours in trim jail on Wednesday. I chopped ×2 dark devil autos and 1 fast buds girl scout cookie auto. I've got one more gsc to finish and chop.
Then I'm starting the next round on sunday/Monday.
Choice for next round: all fast buds
Amnesia haze auto
Blue dream'atic or orange sherbet.

My tents come down in April for the summer, so I'll start next round in the tent then use the free sunshine to flower them (hopefully)

You're gonna have a tent full of gorgeous buds in a month or so :goodjob:

Hey stinker.
I'm just coming to the end of my current grow, I spent 9 hours in trim jail on Wednesday. I chopped ×2 dark devil autos and 1 fast buds girl scout cookie auto. I've got one more gsc to finish and chop.
Then I'm starting the next round on sunday/Monday.
Choice for next round: all fast buds
Amnesia haze auto
Blue dream'atic or orange sherbet.

My tents come down in April for the summer, so I'll start next round in the tent then use the free sunshine to flower them (hopefully)

You're gonna have a tent full of gorgeous buds in a month or so :goodjob:
Congrats on your successful harvest. Do you keep a journal?

Back
Top Bottom