First Time: 250 Watt MH/HPS 2x2 Closet Grow

looks great man the cool tubes work great for cooling ,but your idea was pretty good.
new_room_010.JPG

Quick update guys and gals,

Since my last post I've transferred the four White Widow plants into 3 gallon pots. I also trimmed the roots on the mystery indica so they could remain in the square pots all the way through flowering.

I also ran into a Nitrogen deficiency that required me to make a trip to the hydro store for some nutes. I went with the General Organics GO Box because of the awesome price and the-hopeful-ease of use since everything I'll need is included. So far I have just been sticking with their suggested feeding schedule...

resize_grow_pic.jpg

Oh and I've been having to top the White Widow. They grow like a quarter inch a day I swear! I've been having to raise the light a couple notches about every 4-5 days. I'm hoping the topping will help limit the vertical growth : )

Yesterday I took some clones of the Widow using PH'd water and Schultz rooting powder and I've been keeping them in separate chamber up top on a 24 hour light cycle with three 100-watt equivalent CFL bulbs.. I've been misting them 5 or 6 times a day and so far they're looking great

IMG_12287.JPG

I'm in the middle of a 24 dark period before I switch to 12/12 tomorrow night. I also changed out the Metal Halide for a HPS bulb. so "fall" has officially arrived!!

Day 38, Last day of Veg
IMG_12295.JPG

The "complete" grow
resize_closet.jpg

Stayed tuned, there's more to come.

Till next time,

Bowsie Staff

:420:

Hey BowieS, They seem to like what's happening. They are bushy and green.:goodjob: The topping should help with verticle growth, they may widen out a lil from the extra tops so watch your light penetration thru your canopy and floor. Ideally you want as much penetration as possible to assist the other sites in getting decent light which will help improve yield. So be careful with # of plants unless you can add lighting and keep good circulation on your girls to keep them from sweating:) Topping should allow the other branches to grow and reach canopy or near it to assist all your tops in getting good lighting, this may widen the plants a lil also. I have some clipping to do tonight as 1 of my ladies want to cover my sativas and the other Aurora from getting good penetration in the middle. After a short delay the clipped one will be back on track and give me a lil more growth along with more light directly shining on bud sites. This is one reason scrogs are popular. Looking good bro keep em going:thumb:

Hey man This is Amazing :goodjob:But if You Really What to Reflect More light In Flower you could go to a Sports store N pick up a Mylar Survival blank for less than 5 bucks and reflect 100% of your light back on to your plants just a thought...

Keep Up The Good Work:bravo:

Hey man This is Amazing :goodjob:But if You Really What to Reflect More light In Flower you could go to a Sports store N pick up a Mylar Survival blank for less than 5 bucks and reflect 100% of your light back on to your plants just a thought...

Keep Up The Good Work:bravo:

thats a good point, walmart even has 10ft by 10ft sheet of mylar in the camping section sold as an emergancy blanket, they are like less that $2 :peace:

Hey Guys,

First of all, Happy New Year!!! and thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I've got some free time tonight (I've already tended to my LADIES) I'll be sure to check out eveyone's journals and see what I've missed.

I wish I would have logged on here sooner KindOfBud, good idea about the emergency blanket. I bought some Panda Film @ the hydro store a couple days ago. The smallest size it came in was 250 square feet, so it was kinda overkill... I could have saved some money ($20) by going with your suggestion instead! Oh well @ least I have a lifetime supply haha

Things are going swell with the ladies. I put in the HPS bulb and they've been in flower for almost two weeks now. A couple nights ago I started noticing some sneaky males so I got out the magnifying glass, and ended up clearing out half the plants!... I got a 50% female ratio, not bad I guess... As for the male plants I decided to chop the up and simmer them in veggie oil for use in some tastey walnut and fudge brownies : )
resize15.jpg

I also ran into an issue with forgetting to label the clones, so when the males showed up I had no clue who came from where so I decided to toss them out and start over. Next time I'll learn to be more organized.. It really sucks because all 6 of them put down roots and were looking beautiful, I felt like a plant murderer...

The remaining four females have been getting some special attention lately because of their continued vertical growth. I hope that they don't keep growing tall ALL the way through the flowering cycle?.. I've been tying them down and super cropping to control height and it's working pretty well so far. I've only got like 11 inches left till their scraping the lights so they better chill out!
Day 50 (12 days in flower)
IMG_12574.JPG

IMG_12566.JPG

IMG_12554.JPG

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions...

Happy 2012,
Bowsie

:party:

wow thats a lot of foliage for only a few plants looks like your going to yield alot off that.

Question for ya. if you grow all your seeds at one time and you dont know which ones are male or female and then you switch the light cycle to 12/12 wont the males sex with the females if their is any and make them have seeds? or is it if you spot the males early enough you can just destroy them and the females are fine?

Suggestion: i know you were saying in my journal that you were having problems keeping your temps down. and i know your growing on a budget but may i suggest buying a inline booster fan for your ac cold air set up. Having the tube go from the AC to your grow room is a great way to deliver cold air but it probably isnt moving it that fast. so what an inline booster fan does is suck more air and does it faster and in return cools your room down some. In all reality you should get 2 of them and replace your existing exhaust fan with one of these booster fans, they sell them in 4'',6'',8'' sizes and range any where from 75CFM to 150CFM. they can be bought at homedepot or lowes near all the ventilation stuff. they only like $25 for the 4''

@ilikebike:

I'm hoping I yield a lot! It would be nice to be free from buying herb from shady dealers in even shadier neighborhoods....

I usually check on the plants everyday. So the moment the male sacks started appearing I discarded them pretty quick. It's my understanding that the males pollinate the females once the sacks open up to start spreading pollen around, so I'm hoping I intervened before that happened... but to be on the safe side I also vacuumed the closet and scrubbed it with alcohol ; )

oh and my temps stay pretty constant @ 80ish, but the thermo on the A/C compressor is outside the closet so like 10% of the time it freaks the hell out. It'll go from like 60-90 degrees in like 10 minutes. The plants are doing well and aren't looking stressed so I guess they're taking it okay... the CO2 helps out though i'm sure...

next grow i want to retro-fit my grow light with a 1/8" piece of plexiglass and run a duct with an inline fan off of that to keep temps down. I'll let you know how that goes for me ; )

hey thats a good idea, i would love to see the final product.

The reason i ask about the males is i aquired some free sour diesel seeds and i wanted to know if i could veg them in the same room as my PPP Ladies and then move them both into the flower room then when and if i see pollen sacks just pull the plants out very slowly, kill the males, clean the grow room, then put the females back in. thanks for the help happy new year!

I would collect pollen from the males and carefully pollinate one small branch to produce a few seeds. Just a thought. Looking good so far, great read. Keep it up, it starts getting exciting when you start to flower.

hey thats a good idea, i would love to see the final product.

The reason i ask about the males is i aquired some free sour diesel seeds and i wanted to know if i could veg them in the same room as my PPP Ladies and then move them both into the flower room then when and if i see pollen sacks just pull the plants out very slowly, kill the males, clean the grow room, then put the females back in. thanks for the help happy new year!

You should be fine vegging them in the same room as long as you're not dealing with an auto-flowering strain. in most ordinary strains the male pollen sacks don't start showing/spreading pollen until you switch the light cycle to 12/12. It took mine about a week after I went into flowering before anything appeared (and that was under a magnifying glass) So in short, you can vegg them together but keep a VERY close eye especially when they start to sexually mature. you wanna destroy those suckers quick. No vacations or weekend getaways until you know who's who ; )

-Bowsie

I would collect pollen from the males and carefully pollinate one small branch to produce a few seeds. Just a thought. Looking good so far, great read. Keep it up, it starts getting exciting when you start to flower.

You can pollinate one branch @ a time? Hmmm, i never thought about doing that...So in theory I could breed multiple cross strains off one plant?.. I would like to eventually start doing some genetics, but I really want a separate grow tent just in case something does goes wrong it won't taint the rest of my crop... Who knows, maybe within the next year I'll be burning a bowl of some Bowsie-Kush or some Bowsie-Wowie ; )

Thanks for the idea buddy

-Bowsie

Re: First Time - 250 Watt MH/HPS 2x2 Closet Grow **HELP!**

Hey everybody!

Wow I can't believe it's been nearly three weeks since I posted!.. Things have been moving at a pretty steady pace. But I have run into a couple problems:

First, my A/C was freezing up because it was like 20 degrees outside. At one point the closet was running about 95! So I ordered a Hydrofarm inline fan on Amazon and right now it stays a pretty much constant 74 (even with the lights on)
copyinlinefan.jpg

Second, I've been noticing the fan leaves are turning yellow and dying. Even the ones on top closer to the light are sporting a lighter shade. I'm just to the fourth week of flowering so I feel like it's a little early for them to be dying off. Just to be safe I added Genreral Organics "Grow" for a dose of nitrogen. It's too soon to tell if that works so if anybody has any advice it'd be greatly appreciated : )
IMG_127910.JPG

But in other news, HERE'S A LOOK AT THE CROP! : D

Day: 73, Flowering Day: 30
IMG_12708.JPG

IMG_12714.JPG

IMG_127710.JPG

Happy Be-lated MLKJ Day everyone!

-Bowsie

Looking good bro! The yellowing could be a lil nitro def, so the added nutes will slow/stop that since you stated it's also at the top cola. Not too much tho as this can slow flowering. A couple of doses and back to the lower amount that began showing the def, should be closer to 6weeks by then:) That fan you have should pull plenty hot air out of there:thumb: hope it works well for you. Can't remember if you have a carbon filter, if not needed that's so cool to smell their sweet/skuny aroma. Keep good ventilation inside the grow and they will keep looking and feeling good. They look great so far, and with your additions they will be just fine. Happy MLK Day to you too:thanks: :peace:

Hey guys,

It's about time for an update! Things have been moving along quickly. The girls are doing well, even though they're looking a little sad on the final stretch.. Next time I'm going to more liberal with the nutrients. I don't think I used enough throughout flowering. I've been reading up on it and some people use triple the suggestion on the box with General Organics. Stuff is pretty weak. Lesson learned for next time. :morenutes:

Here's some pictures of the crop:

Total Days: 98 (14 weeks) Flowering Day: 56 (8 weeks)
2012-02-10_22-32-02_959_cleaned.jpg

2012-02-10_22-28-48_405_cleaned.jpg

2012-02-10_22-30-44_961_cleaned.jpg

I'm just counting down the days until I get to taste their sweet smoke! I was looking under a 30X microscope and I'm thinking 2-3 more weeks?? : )

Also I've been preparing the next generation by LST'ing it under florescent lights. She's already quite bushy, I can't wait to see it take off under the metal halide bulb! I'm thinking I may try to SCROG it but haven't decided yet? that's about 3 weeks (and maybe another journal) away...

2012-02-10_22-35-46_288_cleaned.jpg

2012-02-10_22-34-40_206_cleaned.jpg

My next update will probably around harvest time..

Thanks for viewing! comments appreciated.

Sincerely Yours,

Bowsie T Staff

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom