First time autoflower attempt, have a few questions

Hi Guys -

I'm Jon, I am a rookie grower and am looking for a little help. This is my second grow. I actually posted these questions in my journal but as I am new and don't really know anyone there's not a lot of activity on there, so I decided to try this new post.

One of my tents is my first auto attempt. I have nine plants that started in Dixie cups and got transplanted to the three gallon pots they're all in now. They were sprouted in three waves and are 24, 16, and 12 days old respectively. The first four are the 24 day old ones. They're in 40% FF Happy Frog, 40% FF Ocean Forest, 20% perlite and they're getting the FF nute trio with CalMag plus Iron and mycorrhizae and molasses for budding. All is going exceptionally well and all the plants look really healthy and robust.

The strains are:
Cinderella Jack - Dutch Passion (24 days, three plants)
Gorilla Zkittlez - Barney's Farm (24 days, one plant)
Pineapple Express (16 days, one plant, 12 days, two plants)
Lemon (16 days one plant, 12 days one plant)

Below is a picture of the girls from this morning, right after a watering so they're a bit droopy, but they were standing straight out within a little while. Hard to tell in the blurples but they have real good color and tight nodes. Then there's a picture of the Gorilla Zkittlez from this afternoon. This afternoon, several hours after the group picture, I decided to start LST on the four big plants, and I did the GZ and the three CJ. Then I looked more closely at the Gorilla, and this is specifically where my questions are:

She broke ground in a Dixie cup 24 days ago. Now I know I only have one grow under my belt, it was a photoperiod grow, and I very well could be wrong.....but I think this plant is beginning to bud already. The center of each bud site, and especially the growth on the upper main cola sure look like preflowers and the beginning of budding to my inexperienced eye. Her tops are all starting to shoot out these really thin leaves that weren't there two days ago or even this morning really. When I look at the Cinderella Jacks, all three of them look different in the same exact spots. There are new LEAVES coming out, not what looks like the beginning of buds. They don't have those little almost white hairish looking growths like the GZ does, especially up by the main cola. Big, obvious difference once I looked closely. So again, I really don't know, and I'll obviously know for sure very shortly, but I'm just wondering,

- Is it possible that my plant is beginning to bud on Day 24? The specs on this plant, Barney's Farm Gorilla Zkittlez auto feminized, is that it's ready to harvest in 75 days. That's kind of how I chose the strains in the auto tent - all four of them are basically supposed to have a 75 day grow cycle. So I figured she wouldn't start budding until maybe day 35 or so. If this plant is indeed starting to bud on Day 24, is it possible that she stays in budding and takes 50 days from now to finish? That seems like a long time compared to a 24 day veg cycle to my non-auto growing logic. My logic tells me if she's budding already on Day 24 she's going to be finished before 75 days. How long do autoflowers remain in bud, from the beginning of budding to harvest? While I'm sure this is strain specific, is there a "general" idea anyone can provide? I'm also wondering about defoliation. I planned on doing this when the plants were pretty well into budding, like maybe week 6 or so? But if this GZ is budding now, would it perhaps be wise to remove a couple fan leaves? I tucked them for the moment and that's okay, but they're big and they keep springing back from the tuck. The first node fan leaves are basically completely covered up anyway, but removing those two doesn't really expose anything to more light, or does it? Any help on defoliation with autos is I guess what I'm looking for. And finally, has anyone grown Gorilla Zkittlez autoflower who might be able to communicate with me a little bit?

I understand that I can research all these questions. I have. Endlessly. I'm asking here cuz I tend to get the real deal on this forum which I don't often get from research. Experienced growers beat the internet any day. I really appreciate any help anyone who sees this may provide, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

I only have the one Gorilla. If she's starting to bud, she's starting to bud. I have zero control, which I'm finding with autoflowers is both kind of cool and exciting and also kind of frustrating and leaves me wondering a lot. I definitely prefer the control, that's already clear in 24 days of growing these things. The entire auto thing is an experiment, and I'm totally cool if this girl is budding already, even though I'd like them all to get way bigger than they are now before they started budding. It is what it is, and it's actually making me laugh. I looked at a bunch of grow journals from people who were supposedly "growing" this, and every one I saw was inexperienced growers who didn't seem to know what they were doing. I didn't find anything I considered a reliable reference point. The pictures on the Barney's Farm site show the plant at a variety of days, mostly buds, but those plants are all perfectly grown show plants for the website grown by super experienced growers, and I have no illusion that I will be able to produce a show plant my first shot at autos.

Any help?

Thanks!

Autos Side View.jpg

Gorilla post initial LST.jpg

S’up Jon,

Garden looks flush nice job!! this is cool, you don’t mind jumping right into the deep end of the pool!

opener) Cant see in blurple, use daylight or turn the blurple off and use flash. Those numbers are breeders estimates, and the estimates are rather optimistic and point to the early side of the harvest window. It’s good info to know but don’t set your watch or schedule by them.

1st) Yes it could be flower or it could simply be she’s showing that she’s a sexually mature chick and you are seeing the next set of fans and the next set of tiny fan leaves looks like flower. Better pics would help.

2nd) see opener

3rd) yep the entire time - she will stay in flower to the end

4th) don’t defol, since you are newish just do several runs to get the natural rhythm down but lst is your best option for autos so as to not piss them off.

5th) never grown gorliia zkittlez....

autos are funky - typically you want transplants, topping or training completed before day 21. sometimes looking at an auto wrong can cause it to stunt or stall, once stalled yields will suffer. I’m going to shout out at @Virgin Ground she’s a very skilled grower and knows her shite around any garden issues.... pretty sure she’s had several runs on that strain but I could be wrong here

my 2 cents but see what other replies come in

S’up Jon,

Garden looks flush nice job!! this is cool, you don’t mind jumping right into the deep end of the pool!

opener) Cant see in blurple, use daylight or turn the blurple off and use flash. Those numbers are breeders estimates, and the estimates are rather optimistic and point to the early side of the harvest window. It’s good info to know but don’t set your watch or schedule by them.

1st) Yes it could be flower or it could simply be she’s showing that she’s a sexually mature chick and you are seeing the next set of fans and the next set of tiny fan leaves looks like flower. Better pics would help.

2nd) see opener

3rd) yep the entire time - she will stay in flower to the end

4th) don’t defol, since you are newish just do several runs to get the natural rhythm down but lst is your best option for autos so as to not piss them off.

5th) never grown gorliia zkittlez....

autos are funky - typically you want transplants, topping or training completed before day 21. sometimes looking at an auto wrong can cause it to stunt or stall, once stalled yields will suffer. I’m going to shout out at @Virgin Ground she’s a very skilled grower and knows her shite around any garden issues.... pretty sure she’s had several runs on that strain but I could be wrong here

my 2 cents but see what other replies come in
Hey 013 - Thanks for the response! Good info. I'll try to get a better pic in real light later on when the sun is in the right spot relative to the tent opening. I'm in a wheelchair, so once the plants are in the final pots I don't take chances removing them from the tent. Too easy for me to drop a plant once it's heavy. But I should be able to get some pics to clarify. I do "know" Virgin Ground, it would be great to have her input. But I looked closer and researched the strains a bit more, and apparently it's not all that uncommon and I'm not far off "normal." I'm 99.9% certain she has begun to bud - the really thin leaves at the top are apparently the dead giveaway based on what I've read and heard. I can see that the three Cinderella Jacks are only a few days behind her. Now that I know what to look for I see they are starting to exhibit exactly the same thing the Gorilla is. We'll see what happens. As far a defoliation, yeah, I had pretty much come to that same conclusion. I will remove fan leaves that block bud sites once there's actual buds there. But that's it. And I'm pretty happy with the LST job I did for my first try on autos. LST on autos is way different than photos. There I'm comfortable. With these autos I have no fricking clue what's going to happen in any given day. Lmao. Thanks again for sharing the info.

Excellent deal Jon, apologies did not know about the wheelchair but kudos to you for making the garden happen anyway. Yes sir, I just can’t see that well any more and the blurple doesn’t help... but I sure understand! Just as info I’m totally jealous cuz I still can’t grow a freaking auto for crap. I stunt them every time, my last was auto Alaska Purps that yielded 1.5 grams so yeah!! That’s pitiful on my part but what the heck! Same here much better with photos but I’m gonna revisit autos just to learn the skillz. Anywho... yours look to be well on track to produce top shelf bud. Allright big guy, hope you get her (them) sorted!

Holler with a pm if I can be of help, my settings are hosed up so I don’t see if someone pages me with an @ sign.

Peace out!!!

Back
Top Bottom