First Time Closet Soil Grow - Brainstorm Feminized - Luna Haze

Brainstorm420

First time grower here. Been doing my research for about a month or so before I went out and dropped $600 on lighting and another $100 on seeds, and about another $150 on other grow supplies.

Lighting:For germination/seedlings I have a Sunsystem22 T5 2' 2x24watt.
For veg/flower I'll be using a 400watt MH/HPS switchable setup using an electronic ballast w/oversized Yield Master II hood. The MH bulb is an Eye Hortilux blue and the HPS bulb is an Eye Hortilux Super HPS. Lighting will be 18/6 for veg 12/12 for flower automated by a timed outlet strip.

Brainstorm feminized seeds:I guess this ones an Indica dominant hybrid, former known as hempstar. Flowering time is 7-9 weeks. Luna Haze is a hybrid super tropical sativa with a classic haze. Flowering time on this one is 12-14 weeks! I'm going to do 2 BS and 4 LH for the first grow, planning on 2 of the luna haze's either turning male or just being crap. If I can get 4 good plants 3-4 months from now I'll be a happy farmer:slide:

Soil will be a mix of MG organic, sphagnum moss, and perlite. I'll be putting seedlings into "jiffy-pots" made from peat filled with an organic seed starter mix until they're ready to go into 8" pots(about 1 gallon), then I'll put them in 3 gallon pots. Ph will be monitored closely and kept at ~6.5

Nutrients will be a cycle of Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 and Espoma organic 5-3-3 during veg. I'll be getting a separate nutrient for flowering of course.

For now the light is only going to be cooled by a fan I'll have blowing on it, unless temperature by the plants start creeping up into the high-80's. Temperatures in the closet right now are 70-74 during the day.
I'll be using unfiltered tap water unless I see a lot of negative affects from it, then I may invest in some sort of filtration. I plan on filling a 5 gallon jug and leaving it to sit out for a few hours to evap most of the chlorine. I'll be doing the Sugar/yeast trick as well once a week to help raise CO2 levels. Pictures to come..

Sounds like you did your research and your on your way properly. The only suggestion I can make is you may want to grow/germ 1 strain at a time due to the differences in height you will see. Sativa and sativa dominant hybrids are going to be taller than indicas and indica dominant. My current grow had a 50/50 sat./ind. that was several feet taller requiring separate lights.

I am thinking of trying that Alaska fish fert myself, post up pics when you get going and let us know how everything goes.

As far as the water, get yourself a cheap air pump and air stone, throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with your tap water and it will help get rid of the chlorine and more importantly super charge your water with oxygen.

Good luck.

Re: First time closet soil grow. Brainstorm feminized/luna haze

Thanks for the post and I will definitely be posting lots of pics....as soon as I figure out how to. Yeah maybe I'll start the Indicas 5 days to a week ahead to give them a head start on the Sativas. Then there shouldn't be too big a gap in flowering start times, however the Luna Haze will flower a month extra :(

Seeds are still in the mail but it's been about 11 days so hopefully they come this week.

I know that feeling, I ordered my seeds in the beginning of December and didn't get them until the day of new years eve. However December is the worst time to order anything to be delivered quickly. Attitude seed bank was faster than castle mj seed bank. But both came period so i couldn't complain.

The biggest and best piece of advice I can give you, dont rush, don't try to rush, dont try to hurry anything along at all because it will come back to bite you very hard. My plants are 4 months old or better (mothers) and when they started maturing I was pushing them with nutes a little too much, that was a good 2.5 months ago. I didn't burn them bad but enough to have burnt tips, the burnt tips have just subsided in the past few weeks.

If I can make a suggestion on nutes that pretty much saved me, if I had used this from the beginning and followed the instructions I would have been all set. I purchased this before I got everything going and because I couldn't find info on anyone using it, I didn't use it and follow it's instructions myself, and went and bought fox farms nutes. Not saying anything bad about ff but if i followed the rfs, my plants would have been perfect from the jump. The kit has everything u could possibly need aside from a wetting agent like sm90. It has all the trace elements you would ever need, all grow and bloom nutes. I ran 8 plants on this one kit for 2+ months and still have some of the og products from the kit. I would say it would be more than enough for your grow beginning to end, you may need to buy more bc boost before your grow is complete but for $40 I can't say I've gotten my money's worth out of any other product like I did that kit. Other than that get some ph up and down and a bottle of sm90 and you'll be good. The only other product I use is hygrozyme, I'd recommend it but you really don't need it to get started.

Technaflora GL56726740 Recipe for Success Starter Plant-Germination-Kit​

1663486414127.png

Edit: dude thoroughly test that black surge protector/ timer before putting it into service, I have 2 of them and they both failed on me from day 1. Maybe I'm an idiot but for whatever reason I was never able to get them to work properly. I have 2 other timers that get set and activated the same exact way and have work fine, those have given me probs from day one on the timer side outlets though.

Dude, I found a store about 30 minutes away that sells everything you just said. The nute kit, SM90, ph up/down, and a small air pump and hose. I know where I'm going this weekend. I still want to mix in the fish fert somewhat but I'm going Technaflora for sure! That kit is such a great deal:)

I think I might pick up a 15lb. bag of earthworm castings while I'm there for $20 to add to my already great mix of organic soil/sphagnum moss/perlite.

I've tested the switch for turn on and it works great, I did however make the mistake of turning on my MH lamp 20 seconds after it had turned off. Quickly realized I'm supposed to wait 15 minutes before re-turn on and shut it back off. Hopefully it didn't do any damage. I want these lights to last.

I'm watching my mailbox like a freakin' hawk...Where's my seeds!!!:confused:

Edit: dude thoroughly test that black surge protector/ timer before putting it into service, I have 2 of them and they both failed on me from day 1. Maybe I'm an idiot but for whatever reason I was never able to get them to work properly. I have 2 other timers that get set and activated the same exact way and have work fine, those have given me probs from day one on the timer side outlets though.

Exactly what Whitey said. I tried one of these and it seemed to work, but I soon found that the clock and timer would randomly reset....shutting the lights out and needing to be reprogrammed. Did that to me twice and I replaced it.

Yours may work fine and not give you a bit of trouble. Just a bit of a heads up to keep a close eye on it.

Your plan sounds pretty solid, hope it works out.

Really?? Really USPS?? they must me knocking on the door like 2 years olds for neither me or my roommate to wake up. Now I have to drive there in 3 hours to try to get the package before they close. At least it's here..back to bed!

What site did you get those from where they put the seeds in the cd case? I need to get past my parents lol

LOL Nirvana is pretty awesome with their stealthy shipping. Sent mine in a breath mint case. Unfortunately the mints tasted like shit.

I'm a little confused. How is it that you need to sneak some beans past your parents, but are able to grow the resulting plants? I know I'm a little high at the moment and Im not quite understanding that. lol

Yeah not quite sue how that works but ok..maybe growing them outside in a rural area??

Anyways I decided to snap a few shots after work of the germination progress. Tomorrow is the best day of the year!!!:yummy:

My 3 peat moss cups filled w/sphagnum moss at the bottom and starter soil

seeds in the dark

1 of the 3 broke through the shell after I got back from work, only 15 hours from start of germ. Hopefully the other 2 break by tonight.

The T5 setup

Gratz on the babies crackin their shells man, hope the others follow suit for ya!

Got a root poking out from the 2nd seeds so I planted it in a jiffy pot. 3rd one cracked open a little but I cant see the root yet so I'm gonna leave it till tonight then I should have all 3 under the light.

I'll probably start the Luna Haze's tomorrow or Friday. Going nute shopping tonight!

Luna Haze's started germ'n about 27 hours ago. Got all the nutes including the sm90 and ph up/down, as well as the pump and air hose, worm castings the other day. Got a little cheap stuff tonight from a friend. Not bad..Been a while since I smoked last so I got kinda ripped but it mostly wore off after about an hour and a half. Smoked out of a hooka too!:hookah:

Luna Haze's started germ'n about 27 hours ago. Got all the nutes including the sm90 and ph up/down, as well as the pump and air hose, worm castings the other day. Got a little cheap stuff tonight from a friend. Not bad..Been a while since I smoked last so I got kinda ripped but it mostly wore off after about an hour and a half. Smoked out of a hooka too!:hookah:

A pump and air hose for a soil grow? What am I missing here?

Back
Top Bottom