First time drying, need some advise!

Mykey714

So this is my first time growing, it came out a lot nicer than I thought though:thumb: Now for drying I was thinking of building a box out of cedar wood and hanging the plants inside there. I have read a lot about people laying down their plants and buds in a cedar box but haven't found anything hanging it in the box. The only reason I'm doing this is I don't have a closet to hang it in:confused: Any other good ways to dry plants hanging? If I do end up making the box, how long should I let them hang for being that cedar "draws moisture"? Should the box be air tight? Any help is much appriciated:thumb: Thank you for reading! Might post pictures of them later tonight!

So this is my first time growing, it came out a lot nicer than I thought though:thumb: Now for drying I was thinking of building a box out of cedar wood and hanging the plants inside there. I have read a lot about people laying down their plants and buds in a cedar box but haven't found anything hanging it in the box. The only reason I'm doing this is I don't have a closet to hang it in:confused: Any other good ways to dry plants hanging? If I do end up making the box, how long should I let them hang for being that cedar "draws moisture"? Should the box be air tight? Any help is much appriciated:thumb: Thank you for reading! Might post pictures of them later tonight!

I use this:
SurfBuddy

Drying and Curing Schedule, courtesy MSquared

by
SurfBuddy

This is the schedule I'll be using for curing courtesy of Msquared. The only difference is that I have these 62% humidipaks that I will throw in after they get close to 65% or so in the jar for 6-8 hours.:

open air from 48 to 60hrs - depends on temp/humidity
1. seal’em up for 12hrs
2. open air from 24 to 36hrs - depends on temp/humidity
3. seal’em up for 6hrs - with this one I then put a hydrometer in there with them so I can get a good reading - I take notes at the beginning and then again at the end.
4. open air from 12 to 24hrs depending on last reading from hydrometer
5. seal’em up from 3 to 6hrs to watch humidity if good then leave in jars and burp until humidity becomes stable and then jar them for the rest of their lives which never amounts to much time as they are soooo gooood! LOL

I then like to ultimately let them cure for at least a couple weeks checking on humidity and burping as necessary to keep a stable humidity so below is what I use as my humidity guidelines:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.
65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.
60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing
55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet.

Lots of different ways... I hang the buds on string (keeping them from touching each other) in a dark room with INDIRECT air movement (fan). Time varies based on temp and humidity. Once the stem starts to get brittle I jar them up (loosely packed) and store in a dark place. I then burp and or remove the buds from the jar so they get some fresh air for the next couple days/week. Once the smell of "green" is gone I can typically start the "curing" process. Burping less often. I then fill a jar up full/less room for air, burp less often till I am satisfied with the taste and smell.

Back
Top Bottom