First Time DWC Grow - Help!

socrfool13

okay so its my first grow, and this is my DWC Setup.

Grow Tent (22 x 36 x 63)
This DWC system: The Original DWC Hydroponic System
600w MH for Veg
600w HPS for Flower
2 air pumps distributed to 6 air stones evenly placed in the reservoir

Conditions:
Temp under lights 75-78 F
Relative humidity 40-45%
Reservoir Temp 68 F
Res. ph fluctuates from 5.7- 6.2
ppm meter broke...

I'm using the Advanced Nutrients SENSI 2 Part Formula, and have been going very light on the nute's for now. I will increase the amount in the reservoir as the plants gain in size but for now I fear adding nutrients will kill the plants.

We germinated 8 seeds in rockwool cubes, they all sprouted and as soon as roots were visible on the bottom of the cubes the cubes were transplanted into hydroton in 3.75" net cups. The water level in the reservoir is maybe 2 mm above the bottom of the net cups. In each net cup i put a layer of hydroton pebbles placed the RW cube on top and filled in hydroton around the cube.

I had the 600w MH lamb about 30" away from the seedlings at first, but one of my babies (who looks small, 3/4" tall, but healthy and has a 1.5 cm root) fell over and although the the color of the leave's seemed right it could not support its own weight. I supported it with a twisty tie but have had little luck bringing it back to life. I suspect that the plant was stretching because the light was too far and have since moved the light to around 18" away from the seedlings. Since moving the light closer the seedling that fell over has not stood up on it's own however, and I am wondering if there are still problems with my set up.

Also, what does it mean if the leave's on your seedlings are turning yellow or light green? I have noticed a yellowish tint on a few of my seedlings leave's and am worried this is some sort of deficiency.

All help is appreciated!!

okay so its my first grow, and this is my DWC Setup.

Grow Tent (22 x 36 x 63)
This DWC system: The Original DWC Hydroponic System
600w MH for Veg
600w HPS for Flower
2 air pumps distributed to 6 air stones evenly placed in the reservoir

Conditions:
Temp under lights 75-78 F
Relative humidity 40-45%
Reservoir Temp 68 F
Res. ph fluctuates from 5.7- 6.2
ppm meter broke...

I'm using the Advanced Nutrients SENSI 2 Part Formula, and have been going very light on the nute's for now. I will increase the amount in the reservoir as the plants gain in size but for now I fear adding nutrients will kill the plants.

We germinated 8 seeds in rockwool cubes, they all sprouted and as soon as roots were visible on the bottom of the cubes the cubes were transplanted into hydroton in 3.75" net cups. The water level in the reservoir is maybe 2 mm above the bottom of the net cups. In each net cup i put a layer of hydroton pebbles placed the RW cube on top and filled in hydroton around the cube.

I had the 600w MH lamb about 30" away from the seedlings at first, but one of my babies (who looks small, 3/4" tall, but healthy and has a 1.5 cm root) fell over and although the the color of the leave's seemed right it could not support its own weight. I supported it with a twisty tie but have had little luck bringing it back to life. I suspect that the plant was stretching because the light was too far and have since moved the light to around 18" away from the seedlings. Since moving the light closer the seedling that fell over has not stood up on it's own however, and I am wondering if there are still problems with my set up.

Also, what does it mean if the leave's on your seedlings are turning yellow or light green? I have noticed a yellowish tint on a few of my seedlings leave's and am worried this is some sort of deficiency.

All help is appreciated!!

Hey I dont do DWC but if they are still seedlings then i wouldnt be giving them any nutrients for the first cpl weeks, also your humidity seems very low i would try and push that upto about 80% humidity. hard to say as i dont know exactly what stage there at.

As i say i dont do dwc but are you meant to have the water touching the bottom of the nets i thought the idea was to make the plants roots stretch down towards the water.

and i think youre right to move the light closer.
sorry couldnt be much more help but just my 2 pennies

You are supposed to leave a gap between the net pots and the water but every time I do this the Rock wool gets completely dry. I also read that it is okay to bring the res water level up to the bottom of the net pots in the beginning while roots are still growing down into the reservoir. My plan was to lower the water level once the plants are larger and have more roots.

just wondering whether they are receiving to much and so in a way being over watered, as long as the hydroton balls are getting wet then i dont see the rockwool staying dry as to much of a problem as the hydroton should soak enough minerals and nutes up that it needs.

But does anybody know what it means when your seedlings leaves are slightly yellow? What about if the stems are a deep purple...

You are supposed to leave a gap between the net pots and the water but every time I do this the Rock wool gets completely dry. I also read that it is okay to bring the res water level up to the bottom of the net pots in the beginning while roots are still growing down into the reservoir. My plan was to lower the water level once the plants are larger and have more roots.
When first starting off the water line should be right below the bottom of the net pot so when the air stones bubble the water hits the bottom of the net pots. As the roots grow longer you lower the water level.
RH seems to be just right where it is. i can't see where you say if your using hydroton or rockwool in the net pots.
Stems turning purple is no big deal. I have many plants that have purple stems as they are growing up. I'd like to see picturesof the yellow leaves before I say anything. Then again, i have some plants I just started in hydro and some have yellow leaves. I'm just going along and feeding them as usual and will wait to see what happens. Remember, they are going through a transistion at this point,

When first starting off the water line should be right below the bottom of the net pot so when the air stones bubble the water hits the bottom of the net pots. As the roots grow longer you lower the water level.
RH seems to be just right where it is. i can't see where you say if your using hydroton or rockwool in the net pots.
Stems turning purple is no big deal. I have many plants that have purple stems as they are growing up. I'd like to see picturesof the yellow leaves before I say anything. Then again, i have some plants I just started in hydro and some have yellow leaves. I'm just going along and feeding them as usual and will wait to see what happens. Remember, they are going through a transistion at this point,

What Alaskan Says lol :thumb:

here are some pics, it looks kinda yellow in person but you can see it pretty well.

photo_6_22.JPG

photo_1_1.PNG

photo_5_31.JPG

photo8.PNG

i lowered the water level a bit so now it is exactly level with the bottom of the net pots.

thanks for all the help guys

ok, so now I have a better idea of whats going on here. Too damn bad your PPM meter is broken, you really need that thing.

First off, they might have gone a little early. i personally would have waited until they were a little older before I would have put them into hydro. That being said........you really need to know what the PPM is. I figure since you are using Sensi it has to be A and B is this correct? And at what strength? And is that all your feeding them at the moment?

yes A and B, but only A right now. Recommended dose for seedlings is 2 ml per liter of water, I put in about 1 ml per liter. Yes, that is all they are being fed. I am also spraying them with ph corrected water mixed with a very small dose of spray n grow. I will get a ppm meter too, do you think the problem is that the ppm is too high or low?

this is about 2.5 weeks of vegging. I have a few questions though:

as the plants grow bigger do I need to add more air pumps/stones?

Right now I have a 71 gph dispersed to 4 4" air stones and another dual pump hooked up to 2 6' air stones (HTG Supply - Dual Outlet Air Pump, 40 Gallon Max.).

Can there be too many roots in the general reservoir?

Mine is 10 gallons, but the water level is usually only around 2/3 full (approx. 6 gallons at a time).

How much water is too little, my plants leaves felt somewhat dry yesterday and I added more water to the reservoir; will this fix the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom