First time DWC root problem: algae?

McRib

Hey 420. I’m trying DWC for the first time and need some advice.

I started these plants in white buckets that let light in and I got a bit of algae. I’ve painted the buckets and am fairly sure they are now light proof. I have since done a res change and have been adding H2O2 every 3 days. Feeding grow nutes and cal ah at 1.2 EC. pH swings from 5.6 to 6.2. Res temps are on the low side at 16-20 C. There is no longer any sign algae in the buckets.

Please check out the photo of my roots. The Dinachem has slimy loooking stuff on the roots. The Choc Mint OG is less effected but the plant looks a bit sick in general and parts of the roots have a slight brownish discolouration.

Any advice on what I should do? I would add hydroguard into the mix but unfortunately it’s not available here.

Thanks for looking

Dinachem
0B1A3695-7248-4944-A9E1-B3470FD51B12.jpeg

D7BE244E-95B7-4441-926B-0FE9E47EC9E8.jpeg

Chocolate Mint OG
2EFE7FF1-37F2-40F9-A67F-EBF4C71D8AE4.jpeg

4714A738-1859-47B3-9DA4-230BC1A77214.jpeg

In dwc I find you must choose sterile or beneficial bacteria, sterile is hard and I run beneficials. I use voodoo juice from a local store and great white from amazon, put both of these in water with black strap molasses and bubble it for 48hr at 70-75 F, I use this in my rdwc and it solved all my bad roots problems.

In dwc I find you must choose sterile or beneficial bacteria, sterile is hard and I run beneficials. I use voodoo juice from a local store and great white from amazon, put both of these in water with black strap molasses and bubble it for 48hr at 70-75 F, I use this in my rdwc and it solved all my bad roots problems.

Would love to run beneficials but can’t find anything available here. I do have some Great White powder and molasses though. I guess I’m trying to run sterile at the moment by adding the H2O2

Would love to run beneficials but can’t find anything available here. I do have some Great White powder and molasses though. I guess I’m trying to run sterile at the moment by adding the H2O2
Can you get voodoo juice? it is expensive because it is advanced nutrients but I have seen all kinds of people find it local. it has the last few bacteria that are good to have but great white has a lot on it's own. make sure no h2o2 and beneficials together is all

Can you get voodoo juice? it is expensive because it is advanced nutrients but I have seen all kinds of people find it local. it has the last few bacteria that are good to have but great white has a lot on it's own. make sure no h2o2 and beneficials together is all

I can’t find it at the moment. Looks like there is a shortage of most AN products in Australia. I’ll keep a lookout. Cheers

I am scrolling the goog can you get this? the voodoo just has bacillus bacteria and some others
Thanks for that. It could work but it looks to be developed for soil application in the agricultural industry. I can't find it to buy online but if I have any more root problems I'll contact the manufacturer and ask some questions.

I think if you try making a tea with your great white and molasses it will work to keep the bad bacteria at bay. Even after 2 weeks my roots blew up, just try it if you want with what you have now and worst case they get lots of great white which they love. I do 1/2 tsp GW and 1 tbls molasses in 1 gallon RO water. heat up 2 cups of water to mix the molasses then pour into the rest of water and add great white, bubble that for 48hrs then refrigerate up to 7-8 days

I think if you try making a tea with your great white and molasses it will work to keep the bad bacteria at bay. Even after 2 weeks my roots blew up, just try it if you want with what you have now and worst case they get lots of great white which they love. I do 1/2 tsp GW and 1 tbls molasses in 1 gallon RO water. heat up 2 cups of water to mix the molasses then pour into the rest of water and add great white, bubble that for 48hrs then refrigerate up to 7-8 days
I will give this a try. How much of this mix do you add to your res? Do you just add when doing a res change?

I never tried to run bennies in DWC, I always ran Z7 or Hydroguard.
I would definately use these if I could lay my hands on them

I will give this a try. How much of this mix do you add to your res? Do you just add when doing a res change?

So I put half a liter poured over the root crown to inoculate it and over the roots into each bucket at water change and the same amount every 3 days and sometimes I give extra as you can not really add too much of the stuff. All you want to do is keep a healthy population of them as they will fight off the specific ones that cause issues.

I also can not affordably source Z7 or Hydrogaurd and this has helped me it is not the only way and may not be the best but I had dieing brown roots and slime and now I have some weird colors at waterline but roots are loving life, only change was the tea

Back
Top Bottom