First Time Ever Growing Anyting

thatdudePA

Yo Folks thanks for visiting my journal. The objective of my journal is to detail my processes and to get as much help a you all can give so that my first grow can be a sucess. I do not have any experience gardening but from what I have read you dont have to be a pro to get some quality green.

So I have been growing for 5 days I germ'd 17 seeds all have sprouted and they are between 1 and 21/2inches tall. My G.R is 4X2X4 with approx. 8sq ft, currently I have my G.R. split in half to maximize the light for my little ones( I am only using 4sq ft of space). I have decided to go with CFL's for my first grow b/c they are cheap and easily avaliable in most chain hardware stores. My lighting set up: 6 27watt(100w) with a output of 1750lumes and 5000k each; 2 t5 8 inch FL Tube 8w 400Lumes each; and 1 phillips plant light It is about 2ft from the plants I use it to keep the temp undercontrol. The total Lumes for my 4sq ft space is 11,300 or 2825 per squar foot. So I guess I am at the vegging stage now, I dropped all my seeds in jiffy pots to start and I plan on planting 3 or 4 of the best looking female plants in about 4 more days. Do you guy recomend I keep them in the jiffy for a longer period of time or shoud I be planting them sooner? Also, currently I have the lights on a timer on from 5am to 10:00 off from 10p to 1p on again 1p-2pm off 2p-5p then on for the day. I read that turning the light on for 1 hour in the middle of the night encourages more females. Is this lighting sechedual okay or should I go with the 24/7? Thats all for now thanks for your input.

wow, thanks for the quick replies. I have 17 seeds sprouting but I only plan to grow 3 or 4 to maturity. I used bag seeds so I have to plant many in the hopes that I can get 2 or 3 females, I will discard the rest np. In regards to the lighting I have them on 17hrs stright 5am-10pm then 1hr of light @ 2am. I read that interrupting the night with an hour of light helps produce more female plants, is this true? right now everything looks okay, if it is better to leave them on 24/7 just let me know. Thanks again, hopefully this clears up some of the concerns.

On another note, I have some desert Bat Guano 8-4-1 when if at all should I begin fertilizing? I am using Expert Gardener Potting soil with the 6 month feed, just thought you all should know what I am starting with.

"I read that interrupting the night with an hour of light helps produce more female plants"

i read somewhere that cops don't lie,,,,

I personally am not a pro nor have I ever grown but I am just starting off and I have the
On 18/6 and I'm using the ocean forest soil by fox farms and the fox farms nutrients grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom and my queen diesel is only 5 days old and just about 2 1/2 inches

you can set the lights to 18/6 or just leave them on,,, i keep mine on 24/7.. once the plant is growing good you can put it into flower,, but you will get more if you let the plant grow and trim for volume... again read some here,, How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Young General thanks for the info I saw the tiger bloom in a nearby nursery are you giving your plants nutrients already? My plants are about the same hight some are a bit smaller how big is your Grow Room?

Medme I think the 24hrs will work fine b/c it gets pretty cold at night still and the temps might drop to low.

Update: Its 11:30pm and I just went to check on the babies The color is good I have the lights hung about an inch in an half or two over them and I am noticing that the rounded leaves on some are beginning to curl downward. Is this happening b/c of a lack of water? or was the temp to hot approx 80 degrees. I do have a box fan running inside my G.R and I have just readjusted the venting so that I can get in more fresh air to cirrculate. Let me know what you guys think

Young General thanks for the info I saw the tiger bloom in a nearby nursery are you giving your plants nutrients already? My plants are about the same hight some are a bit smaller how big is your Grow Room?

Medme I think the 24hrs will work fine b/c it gets pretty cold at night still and the temps might drop to low.

Update: Its 11:30pm and I just went to check on the babies The color is good I have the lights hung about an inch in an half or two over them and I am noticing that the rounded leaves on some are beginning to curl downward. Is this happening b/c of a lack of water? or was the temp to hot approx 80 degrees. I do have a box fan running inside my G.R and I have just readjusted the venting so that I can get in more fresh air to cirrculate. Let me know what you guys think

The rounded leaves(cotyledons I think it's spelled) will naturally curl down and die off. Nothing to worry about.

I am following the nutrients schedule but revised it for the first two weeks I am just giving them a low dosage of the big bloom and my G.R. Is approx 3x3x3 but I also heard alot of talk that if your going to use fox farms soil and nutrients that's it's best to use the grow big big bloom and tiger bloom as their feeding schedule requires so I am hoping that my first grow is the start to a success

Thanks for the info Keep it coming. I will upload some pics soon.

Q: my top soil keeps drying out on a few of my plants so I have been remoisting them every couple of hours (just a little). Am I in danger of over watering my plants? the temp in the G.R is 73-80 with 6 100w equ CFL's bout 1-2 inches away from the plants.

First Grow- Day 16 w/pictures please comment

Hello All

So its been two weeks and I have been watching my babies grow everyday and I am ready to show you folks my progress thus far.

I have made changes to my growroom added an air duct to get fresh air from outside, added in a small desk fan, and now I have 14 26w clf's running 24hrs. total lumes for my 8sq foot space is 24,500/3062sqft
temp:85 steady ph/humidy: Good

take a look please comment

plant 1
101_1340.JPG

plant2
101_1326.JPG

plant 3- Light burnt yesterday I gave some superthrive and Guano doing well
101_1327.JPG

plant 4
101_1338.JPG

plant 5
101_1328.JPG

plant 6
101_1329.JPG

First Grow Update- 21 days old PICS Pls Comment

The Updated Pictures of the Plants shown above at 16 days old. :morenutes:

Plant 1
IMG_003613.JPG

Plant 2
IMG_003315.JPG

Plant 3
IMG_003812.JPG

Plant 4
IMG_003716.JPG

Plant 5
IMG_004012.JPG

Plant 6
IMG_003912.JPG

Overhead Shots
IMG_00439.JPG

IMG_004211.JPG

IMG_00418.JPG

Re: First Grow Update- 21 days old PICS Pls Comment

This is the best picture. See how the leaves are cupping? The edges are twisting towards each other? It's too hot and the plant is trying to conserve water or in other words preventing too much water from being expelled through the leaves.

You could move the lights higher but the best thing to do is to get more (cooler) fresh air into your room and expel more hot air out of your room.

The Pick of the Litter: 28 days old, 9inches tall, Folliage as big as my hand

IMG_005811.JPG

The other pics are coming soon, note to self, use 5 gal buckets instead of 3gal. I would like to veg for atleast another 2 weeks. do you all think the plant will be a foot tall by then?

Back
Top Bottom