First time flowering cabinet - input appreciated

Nine44

Hey fellow growers. .. although it's a bit early to call myself that without a successful grow under my belt... but that's why I'm here for your knowledge, criticism, and input.

Little sketch of what I'm thinking. Basic breakdown is
1 200w 2700k CFL in reflector. Top center
2 46w 6500k CFL free hang. Blue light supplement
4 50w 2700k pll CFL in each corner vertically. Side lights for deeper penetration

Excuse my drawing

Idea_note_20140531_123808_01.jpg
Idea_note_20140531_123808_02.jpg

Hopefully it gets the point across.

Couple of points are
around 7500 lm per sqft
Around 75/25 2700k/6500k

Total surrounding of light

Thanks for all comments and criticisms, also visit my journal in the ongoing journal section if you're into hempy buckets and CFL

Re: First time flowering cabinet... input appreciated

Few things that you need to look into. is proper ventilation, it can get really hot in a small space, have a good exhaust fan. light leak and odor how are you going to control this? How are you going to grow soil, hydro?

Thank you for replying. Looking at a 165cfm 4 inch extractor with filter. Unsure if that is enough for the 16 cubic feet cabinet.

The workhorse 7 powering the pll will be outside the cabinet so only the 2 46w CFL and the big 200w CFL will have ballast heat. Plls will be mounted clip side up since I heard they get warm.

Growing in perlite and vermiculite in a bucket. Can easily do soil and was going to try dwc but I want the grow medium to be flexible.
Cabinet will be reflective with no light leaks.

Thank you once again

Since you have a small space use white to reflect the light this will produce less heat, metallic reflective will reflect high heat radiant in a small space and pick a location to have the box where temperature are cool. I would use a active intake to allow more cooler air to come in and filter intake air with an a a/c filter. Also if you're starting out like myself keep it simple with soil medium it's very forgiven than hydroponics build my experience things could go bad really quick in dwc. do plenty of research on grow cabinet YouTube, I'll picked up some good ideas of all these video. well feel free to see what I'm working on and see plenty of other people built, there's plenty of posting on this here.

Thanks for the advice. Looking more at it seems like I'm going to need an intake fan.

Is it bad to have a smaller fan blowing in than the one exhausting.

Can probably find a thermostat around the house to turn them on and off. Should I run exhaust 24/7 and control Temps with the intake? Or just need to exhaust when lights on

Thanks sorry these may be silly questions

No, I have a 30cfm intake and a 112cfm exhaust on my veg chamber and everything is going well. The reason I use the fan for intake is since I place a piece of a/c filter the fan helps with the air intake. I have my fans running simultaneously 18/6, it seems to work but I'm still running more testing in my environment.

Thanks for the info.

If I were to use an led light from topleds meant to cover a 4x2 area, would the extra width reflect off of the mylar enough to act as supplemental side lighting? Guessing since it has an extra foot to each side it should bounce off the mylar quite nicely . If not I'll consider the one they spec for 2x2 area.

You would get some reflectivity, but I would still use cfl for side lighting. you have to understand the importance of beam angle. check out the link below.
What About Beam Angle | Grow Sun

Idea_note_20140606_144535_01.jpg

Here's a revision with a big led light from topleds

I will supplement with CFL or tubes as needed on the plant sides.

Looking at a4 inch extractor with carbon filter. I think it will be OK with the leds with active and passive intakes
What do you think

Looking good, why 2 intake? I believe that by having the active intake you won't get any negative pressure from the passive, probably blowing through the air pulling from the other intake without fresh air hitting your plants. just one active intake should be good, filter the intake air also. Where are you planning on placing the box. near a a/c vent is the best location.

garage.. what's the temperature in there. remember what ever is the outside temperature add approximately 10 to 15 degrees inside. are both intake open?

Garage is block and a few degrees cooler than outside but no air conditioning. I think I will be fine all year except summer as it's never really hot here other than June July August

Back
Top Bottom