First time grow deficiency assistance required

benz2004

Greetings to the forum!

My name is George and I'm a first time grower of cannabis. Since I do not have any internal space i could grow them by using an indoor setup, I decided to go with an outdoor grow. My seeds have been in the soil and in veg state since May 1st and have been reppoted already once into small/medium containers until their final repotting into large 5 gallon + containers.

Let me state at this point that all the knowledge I have acquired this far comes from forums and their users experience as well as videos over the internet. Specifically my decision was to use organic soil mixture for this growing and consulting this forum I ended up with a super soil mix using:

Canna Professional Soil Mix
Perlite
Bone Meal
Blood Meal
Fish Meal
Epsom Salts
Dolomite Lime
Chicken + worm castings
Organic sea weed extract

which ingredients were used in accordance with the mix guidelines, supposedly creating a soil mix with a PH level of ~6.5

Everything seemed to be going fine up until a couple weeks ago were my plants started to show signs of what I thought at the time was heat stress. Specifically, the lower leaves showing burn signs on their tips after some days they would show signs of downward curl and eventually would dry out and die. At the same time the temperature outside was at around 30 degrees Celsius and the plants would also get direct sunlight for more than 12-14 hours a day, which further supported my heat stress diagnosis.

First actions taken was to move the plants into a place where the direct sunlight they would get would be minimized in an effort to "cure" them and get them back to normal growing. Unfortunately my actions did not seem to provide any good results as the signs I was seeing continued and I would like the opinion of some other more experienced people on how to treat them. Let me point out that I've checked many forums and photos of plants with deficiencies in an effort to recognized what the problem might be. I have come to believe that my plants require Zinc, however as I'm not an expert I'm afraid to proceed with any further actions as they could further damage my plants.

Please do ask any questions you might have, after seeing the below pictures which were taken today (June 6th) and the plants have been growing in soil for approximately 34 days now.

IMG_122713.JPG
IMG_122621.JPG
IMG_122519.JPG
IMG_122418.JPG
IMG_122323.JPG
IMG_122223.JPG

Looking forward to your feedback and advise!

Kind Regards,
George

This looks like a nute burn to me. How much blood meal did you put per plant? And don't tell me you potted them straight into this mix!

@conradino23: I used the following fish/blood/bone meal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003KNDQWS/?tag=420magazine0f-20

Regarding the mix, i used the following recipe, with minor adjustments depending on the availability of the ingredients:
1 Bale sunshine mix #2 or promix (3.8 cu ft)
8 cups Bone Meal - phosphorus source
4 cups Blood Meal - nitrogen source
1 1/3 cups Epsom salts - magnesium source
3-4 cups dolmite lime -calcium source & pH buffering
1 tsp fritted trace elements
4 cups kelp meal.
9kg (25 lbs) bag pure worm castings

Regarding blood/bone/fish I added a total of 12 cups per 50L of Canna mix soil

The seedlings initially were planted in a "planting friendly" soil, were they remained until a good rooting system was developed ~15 days or so. The plants did not show any initial "stress" upon re-potting them.

@labexperiment: the mix was thoroughly mixed, was watered and left to cook for 45-50 days (if not more)..

Any suggestions on how i can correct things at this stage?

I always use my own soil mix, cause I know what's in it. You need to check what's in your Canna Mix. Probably you added too much nitrogen based ingredients to an already hot mix, and when the roots started feeding on them the plant overdosed. Pure water flush is my advice.

I always use my own soil mix, cause I know what's in it. You need to check what's in your Canna Mix. Probably you added too much nitrogen based ingredients to an already hot mix, and when the roots started feeding on them the plant overdosed. Pure water flush is my advice.
This is the Canna mix i used. I was looking for a peat moss mix (similar to promix), but couldn't find anything else in Greece (where I'm currently based)

So I've started the flush process. Will continue the next days as well. Hopefully there will be an improvement. From initial looks it seems as higher/newer leaves are not being affected.

On the other hand, I've got a big batch of this soil mixture. Used some for the small pots and kept the rest for when I'd transfer them to 5 gallon pots. Any suggestions on how I could correct the nutrient mixture if it is high on Nitrogen?

Cheers!

You can flush it, nitrogeb is binded by water, so it runs off with it. But if I were you I'd use this mix as a top dressing for tomatoes and start over.

I did the same before,my plants were identical,now let me explain me what is your problem ( dont worry your plants will be like new in some time ),basicly,you dont have magnesium,so you started green strains on plants,so you started adding more and more fertilizers to remove it,then you did nute burn,and green wont go away cus there is no,or not enough mag in fertilizer.Get mag,feed few times halg dose,with mag full dose,and youll be fine in some time.

Back
Top Bottom