First Time Grow

Excited2start

So I recently built myself a little grow box to well obviously to grow in. It is 5.8 cubic feet of space inside. I am running 3 55 watt CFL bulbs at 3860 lumens, and these bulbs are 2700k. I am also using two 26 watt 6500k CFL bulbs to give some blue spectrum to the plants. I painted the inside white and use a box fan to vent and circulate air until I can afford to buy Fans to fit into the box.

I am just using regular Miricle grow potting mix. it does not say anything about self feeding anywhere on it. I plan on using just plan miricle gro for nutrients because that is all I can afford right now.

Right now I have four plants going under these lights and have just been watering them with plain water without any fertilizer in it. I have been doing this for the past month. I have just moved them each into their own 4 inch pot. I am not trying to grow monsterous plants right now I am just seeing if I am able to do it right now. So I figure anything that I can get right now will be good enough for me. While also allowing me to gain some knowledge on the growing process. When I get more time I will post some pictures of the plants so everyone can see how they are doing.

I wanted to clarify that each 55 watt light was giving off 3860 lumens. so that it is a total of 11,000 something lumens, plus additonal 2000 lumens from the 6500k cfls i have in there as well. I figure this to be about 4000 lumens per square foot. And the sun gives off 10000 lumens per square footso I feel this is a good amount of lumens for the space I am growing in. I will hopefully have picture up tomorrow for every one to see. So far they look like they are doing good.

Sorry it took so long guys but here they are.
IMAG01171.jpg
IMAG01161.jpg

Well I germinated them in these pots and they have been growing in them ever since. Like I said in my previous post I plan on transplanting them tonight. I really did not expect all four of the seeds I planted to germinate and grow so that is why there is two plants to one pot.

I tried germing in Dixie Cups, and if you do Germinate in soil don't use FOX FARM OCEAN FORREST use LIGHT WARRIOR or 2/1 HAPPY FROG/ LIGHT WARRIOR works well also. FFOF is too hot to start seeds. Personally, I have had poor results germing seeds in Dixie Cups but better than seed starters like the Root Riot companies sell. I think the best way is to put them in a shot glass for 24 hours in a dark spot in distilled water then put them between two wet paper towells on top of your fridge or somewhere warm and they should all sprout. That's the best way I have found so far. Once they sprout you can put them in Dixie Cups, Hempies, or Rockwoll cubes. This is by far the best method I have found so far. Just make sure the paper towels stays warm and wet the WHOLE TIME! Don't let it dry out. Put it in a tupper ware or plastic bag.

I tried germing in Dixie Cups, and if you do Germinate in soil don't use FOX FARM OCEAN FORREST use LIGHT WARRIOR or 2/1 HAPPY FROG/ LIGHT WARRIOR works well also. FFOF is too hot to start seeds. Personally, I have had poor results germing seeds in Dixie Cups but better than seed starters like the Root Riot companies sell. I think the best way is to put them in a shot glass for 24 hours in a dark spot in distilled water then put them between two wet paper towells on top of your fridge or somewhere warm and they should all sprout. That's the best way I have found so far. Once they sprout you can put them in Dixie Cups, Hempies, or Rockwoll cubes. This is by far the best method I have found so far. Just make sure the paper towels stays warm and wet the WHOLE TIME! Don't let it dry out. Put it in a tupper ware or plastic bag.

Well yeah, I start my seeds with the paper towel method too. All I was saying was to put 1 seed per cup.

Thanx for that info. I will remember to do that on my second grow. So I have them all in their own pots now. They all seem to be doing very well. Next week I plan on inducing flowering to keep them short and to ween out the males from the females. I will take some more pictures when I get the chance so everyone can see how the grow is coming along.

So all of the plants were male. I had to trash the grow. its alright though, because I am moving to a bigger place with a lot of space and no neighbors. so I plan on starting again once I get there. I will start a new grow journal when I start my new grow. thanx for the tips on germinating.

Hey guys, so I started my second grow, and things seem to be going really good right now. I put eight seeds to germinate, and six sprouted. So I put them in an egg carton, the ones that are biodegradable. They seem to be growing alright. I redesigned my grow box that i have made. I have two CFL tube lights on the top of the box one 20 watt at 2700K and the other is 17 watts at 7000k. Them I have mounted lights on the side of the box. Since I am in the preveg and soon to be veg stage I wam also using 3 26 watts at 6500k and on 55 watt at 2700k. These lights give me 10,860 lumens inside the box. The box is only 6 cubic feet on the inside so this means a lot of light for the plants. I have also outfitted the box with some computer fans now. I was given some out dated computers and salvaged the fans out of them. I have three fans that are running on two adapters. Two fans are sucking air out while one fan is sucking air in. The infan has dyer ducting on it to push air to the middle of the box. The outlet fans are near the top of the box to help expel the heat the lights generate. I am also going to make my own mix of peatmoss and perlite. This way I can add nutes without having to worry about the autofeed of miracle gro or other products like it. I am still on a budget so I will still be using the miracle gro nutes that I have boughten the first time. I lost my camera due to a recent move but when I find it amoungst the boxes of stuff I will take some pictures for you to see. until then I will keep you updated on the grow through written post.

So it has been two weeks since I have put the sprouts into the egg carton. They are doing very well. the roots are already breaking through so I moved them into there growing containers. I am still just using water and have not used any fertilizer yet.

I am going to wait two or three more weeks before I start to add the nutes don't want to hurt the plants. I think it is better to wait for the plants to get se to the new containers before I start to add things to it.

I plan on getting some air tubing so that i can add a co2 generator that I am making myself. I will be using sugar water and activated yeast. it is very simple to make and should do the trick. I plan on getting some t connectors for the tubing and creating a ring around the plants to distribute the co2 on to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom