First Time Grow

QuincyKat

Hello everyone,

New to mmj and just started my first grow on 3/2/11 and am relatively new to this sight, but I'm finding my way around.

Okay here we go:

What strain is it? There are 5; Vanilla Kush, Purple #1, Afghan/White Widow cross, TNT Kush and Veneno
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 50/50 or indica dominant
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? veg
If in Veg... For how long? about 2 weeks
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Right now they are indoor and when weather permits they will move outside into the greenhous
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Gardener's Choice - Blue Ribbon (like FFOF)
If soil... What size pot? 4"
Size of light? 24" T5
Is it aircooled? no
Temp of Room/cab?60 degrees
RH of Room/cab? IDK
PH of media or res?7
Any Pests ?none
How often are you watering? when needed, about 1x per week
Type and strength of ferts used? used FF Grow big in last watering half tsp to one quart of water

I purchase 3 feminized seeds from Single Seeds and they through in 2 more of their choosing for a total of 5. I started the 3 I picked on 3/2/11 and was going to save the 2 that were free for a few months later, but decided to go ahead and plant them 2 days later on 3/4/11. I planted them directly into the soil and they came up 7 or 8 days later, POP POP POP.

I only have one that seems to not be excelling. The Purple #1 plant looks healthy, but very stunted. It is being treated exactly like the others, but just does not seem to be progressing. We'll see if it snaps out of it.

My system is very simple. I am kind of a rebel in that I believe in the power of Nature and want to show that you don't need a sophisticated system to grow your medication. When I first started reading the forums on 420, I have to admit that it is a little intimidating to see some of the grow journals here. I have been gardening for years and subscribe to a very simple way of growing my own food and now medication, after all they are plants, some water, food and light and they are very happy.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy and feel free to comment.

Hmmmmmm... Have to figure out how to upload pics, I'll be back.
M_Veneno_031311.jpg

M_purple_1_-_031311.jpg

M_TNT_Kush_031311.jpg

M_Vanilla_Kush_031311.jpg

M_Afghan_White_Window_031311.jpg

M_Group_Photo_031311.jpg

Okay... not sure why my captions did not show up.

Well my next photos were taken on 3/20/11 and everyone is showing good progress. They are all about 2 weeks now and here are some new pics.
M_Group_Photo_031911.jpg

M_Vanilla_Kush_031911.jpg

M_Veneno_031911.jpg

M_Purple_1_031911.jpg

M_TNT_Kush_031911.jpg

M_Afghan_White_Widow_031911.jpg

Gave all 5 Fox Farm Grow Big on 3/20/11 and overnight there was a significant change. (1/2 tsp to 1 Qt of water).
M_Veneno_032111.jpg

M_TNT_Kush_032111.jpg

M_Vanilla_Kush_032111.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/M_Afghan_White_Widow_032111.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/M_Purple_1_032111.jpg

Poor little purple just doesn't wanna.

M_Purple_1_032111.jpg

M_Afghan_White_Widow_032111.jpg

Looking great. I'm hopping on :popcorn:. If I may make a suggestion, I would say that if the soil is anything like FFOF then don't feed them yet. They will have enough nutes in the soil for at least 3 weeks.

Hmmmmmmmm.. Don't know what happened to my other 3 pics.

Thanks everyone. I will have to put a thermometer with the babies to know exactly what the temperature is. I'll do that today. My light puts off a little bit of heat so it may be warmer for them than I think.... I'll update again later.

As for the PH, I read that PH is measured 1(acidic) thru 14(alkaline) with 7 being neutral. I have also read (on 420 all over the place) that ideal is between 6 and 6.5. With that being said, I am not sure how to lower my PH. Everything I have read is listing all kinds of chemicals (sulphate of amonia??) that will do this and I have found one person saying to add a tsp of lemon juice or vinegar to a gallon of water in the next watering. Has anyone heard of this? done this? what do you think? It kinda makes sense to me.

I am not into having a pharmacy full of chemicals to garden. I am a pretty simple person not a chemist, have a job, raise sheep and garden.

Thank you again everyone for following my grow and giving advice... Oh no more nutes for a while... got it.

Kat

I'm more unto hydro so I may be wrong but in soil I think that the target Ph is high 6's. Someone plead correct me if I'm wrong.

As for using lemon juice and/or vinegar to lower your Ph it should be fine. But I don't think it's good to use it everytime. But again I could be wrong.

I am not into having a pharmacy full of chemicals to garden. I am a pretty simple person not a chemist, have a job, raise sheep and garden.

I completely understand, and you don't have to. Even though I have the full line of FF nutes, I don't use them all. A good veg and flower fert and worm castings and/or compost and you should be good. These plants are great to watch grow and before long, you'll be in awe.
So a little off topic, but you said you raise sheep. Is that for profit and sustainability or are they just farmyard pets? I only ask because my wife and I are looking into starting a dairy goat farm.

Hey KannabisKid
I have a small herd of White Dorpers and though I do love them, they have a purpose. I am all about sustainability and not having to mow a 1/4 acre of property. I raise them for meat as well. We put one in the freezer every year and I raise a couple of lambs for other people I know.

You will enjoy the goats.

All of the manure that is produced from my livestock gets tilled into the ground to feed my garden. Its win win.

Hey KannabisKid
I have a small herd of White Dorpers and though I do love them, they have a purpose. I am all about sustainability and not having to mow a 1/4 acre of property. I raise them for meat as well. We put one in the freezer every year and I raise a couple of lambs for other people I know.

You will enjoy the goats.

All of the manure that is produced from my livestock gets tilled into the ground to feed my garden. Its win win.

:thumb: I like that approach.

Okay so I took some snaps today of the babies. I have 4 out of the 5 that are doing great. I watered yesterday. My PH is slightly lower, looks like 6.5, but it's hard to tell since it is not a digital meter.

I took two pics today one showing all 5 and one just showing the 4 vigorous. The photo of all 5, Vanilla Kush in front, next row (terra cotta pots) TNT Kush on the left and Veneno on the right. In the back row is Afghan - White Widow cross on the left and Purple #1 on the right. I moved the Vanilla Kush in the back row on the left in the photo of 4.

Just playing the care/waiting game until they need to go into the next pot size up. They are growing fast though. Very exciting, and I feel really good about my first grow so far.

Kat

M_Group_shot_no_purple_032311.jpg

M_Group_shot_with_purple_032311.jpg

Update 03/26/11:

They are growing and seem to be doing pretty good. I will prbly transplant next week into 1 gallon size containers. Had a friend take a look yesterday and advise to give superthrive, so I did. I should have let them be - I think I burnt one of my babies. It should be fine, but....ugh. You can see from the pictures that the TNT Kush appears to be burnt. I flushed all of them this afternoon with plain water hopefully it will recover just fine.

I have never grown mmj, but I have grown alot of other plants, huge gardens and I know plants. Cannabis is another plant that has the same needs as other plants - anyway I am a little mad at myself for listening to others that have never taken an interest in anything I have ever grown until now... rrrrrrrrgh.

Okay, I'm over it. Here are new pictures I took today.
Group_Shot_032611.jpg

Group_Shot_healthy_four_032611.jpg

M_TNT_burnt_baby_view_2_032611.jpg

M_TNT_burnt_baby_032611.jpg

Thanks for stopping in
Kat

My plan was to actually put the into 10 or 15 gallon pot once it is warm enough to go out into the hoop house. My night time temp are still freezing and there is still 12 - 18 inches of snow on the ground and 5 gallon pots are kind big for my indoor space at the moment. That is the only reason I was going into one gallon next weekend.

I flushed everyone again today with plain tap water. The affected leaves on my little TNT look worse today, but the rest of the plant looks good. New leaves are healthy. But it seems to be the only one that was affected. I did read that this strain is very resistant to pest, mildew and does not require the nutes that other strains may need.

TNT looks like it's going to pull thru just fine. But, I am going to go with some advice my Dad gave me a million years ago, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." I will not be adding any nutes to anyone until they look like they need it and it will prbly be in the form of compost or new soil maybe a very diluted solution of the grow big. But that will not happen for a long time.

Kat

Looks like a great start! Its a coincidence that i find someone else grow TNT Kush and Veneno Kush just about the same time i started mine, which was about 6 days ago now. So count me in, can't wait to see how our grows compare. :tokin:

Hey the quickest solution to get your ladies growing would be to lower your PH to 6 and increase your room temp to 70 degrees. Good Luck, Ladee

Well my babies look really good and are going into gallon size pots this weekend if not sooner. I learned a lesson tho as you can see from my previous post in supplementing the plants. DO NOT DO IT........ They were fine and I listened to someone in my home town and burnt my TNT. I later read that this strain is a very low maintenance strain and resistant to pests and mildew. I did flush them and so far TNT is the one that is suffering the most, but the good news is the new growth is healthy. TNT and Veneno have the most vigor.

I am just about ready to give up on the Purple #1 plant - it just does not want to grow. It may come around, but I am not going to waste too much time on coaxing it since after nearly 3 weeks it still only has one primary leaf.

Thanks for stopping in
Kat

Back
Top Bottom