First time grow

NorthernDank

Hello, I'm about to attempt my first ever grow, and have done non stop research the last two weeks lol. I'm gonna do a full grow blog on my first grow. However, I was wondering how much yield I could possibly get from my first grow (I know there are a ton of factors but just on average). I plan on growing 2 Northern Light Feminized Auto plants. Listed below are my grow details that i will be using. Please comment any advice or what you think I can get for my first yield from my two plants!

Pots- 3.8 gallon
Soil- Fox Farm Ocean Forrest 2/3, Perlite 1/3
Nutrients- Fox Farm Trio
Light- 400 watt MA for the Vegatative stage
400 watt HPS for the flower/budding stage
Exhaust-the room will have an auscultating fan, and also has a window that will be open to allow fresh air.
Humidity- ideally above 40 percent

sounds like you are good to go for major success. its always a big gamble with seeds, but those NL autos are usually heavy producers. i say 100gr per plant with your setup is reasonable goal. top rookie mistakes - overwatering, over-fertilizing and PH troubles. a sophomore has spoken :D

You really think 100gr per plant????? Everything I read was kind of depressing like 20 gr a plant to 30. And thanks for the advice! I've been researching like hell and those three problems are what most new grower ran into when I read their blog.

you have to do things right to get 100gr per. the thing with auto's is that there is no room for error. no time to recover.

you have the soil, the lighting.... why not.

go easy on water & nutes and you are golden.

It's difficult, if not impossible to guess someone elses yield. There are too many factors, and possible mistakes, that come into play. And IMO, becomes even more different with autos.

Now guessing your own yield, after you have a grow under your belt, that's somewhat feasible, once you get the plant going, and see where she is when you flip to 12/12.

As for your grow, don't use FFOF for your seedlings. Start them in another soil first. FFOF is too hot for most seedlings, and will burn them. There are very few strains that can handle it from seed.

Don't use any miracle grow products. Ever. I can't stress this enough.

Humidity in Veg is best around 60-70%. And in flower 30-40% is great. BUT this is not a deal breaker. You can grow a successful plant with 40% humidity all through Veg and Flower, and still produce a decent yield. Having the correct humidity just helps a little more.

LST will be awesome, and make sure to train the top to grow sideways. Your goal should be a flat canopy where every bud site receives equal lighting.

And back to yield. Set an easy goal for your first grow, it should be something you have to work for, but not impossible. But also a yield you'll be happy with. Say.. maybe a 1/4 ounce from each plant, or about 7-8 grams each. Trust me, it's easy to make mistakes and miss that mark, but you want to come close to, or beat your goal.

If you set a goal of 100 grams each plant, and you end up with 40 grams total, it's going to make you feel like the grow was a failure.

You want every grow to feel successful. As you learn more, and your skills improve, you can increase those goals, and will come close, or beat them every time.

:Namaste:

Thanks man and yeah I left out I was starting out the seedlings with Happy Frogs soil under CFL lighting until they're big enough where they can handle the intense MA lighting. My goal isn't to hit 100 gr thats my dream for right now lol, but i definitely want to achieve over half an ounce from the two where I can have some nice buds to blaze for this summer. Probably around 70 total would be awesome, since I have to quite half way through the summer and prepare myself for my drug test I get randomly every semester of school (blows I know). Would any other techniques help increase my yield? I wasn't sure of any topping or super cropping since they're auto flowers and have a low amount of time to recover before flowering. Again thanks for the comment I will take what ever I can take!

Welcome to the forums NorthernDank :thumb:

You may wish to visit this sub section of the forums - Auto-Flowering

Yup forums are a pretty big place & when you have more time on your hands you may enjoying looking around them...

Welcome!! Antics is spot on with everything he said. Keep in my mind that there are different schools of thought on if and when to top Auto's. Follow some grow journals similar to yours to see how they LST and train their plants. And the most important thing to gain the most from your grow here is to start a grow journal. It will allow the experts to watch your entire grow and offer advice or help if it's needed. Good luck brother and welcome to 420Magazine!

Welcome!! Antics is spot on with everything he said. Keep in my mind that there are different schools of thought on if and when to top Auto's. Follow some grow journals similar to yours to see how they LST and train their plants. And the most important thing to gain the most from your grow here is to start a grow journal. It will allow the experts to watch your entire grow and offer advice or help if it's needed. Good luck brother and welcome to 420Magazine!

Thanks! and I'm definitely about to start one. I have them germinating right now, so once they start to sprout I'm gonna start my grow journal.

Thanks! and I'm definitely about to start one. I have them germinating right now, so once they start to sprout I'm gonna start my grow journal.

You don't even have to wait for sprouts to start a journal :) Some people start their journals when they order the seeds, and are buying all the equipment. So whenever you're ready to make the journal, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom