first time grower DWC help please!

nankunain

Alright guys i am uber new to growing anything , i think i had some tomato plants when i was 5 that died lawl.but i could really use some feedback on my plan.

I plan on using a big walk in closet (about 5'x5' and 7 ft high) with a homemade DWC tub i have done a lot of studying on that and know how it works and how to build one.

the problem i have is lighting,im on a pretty tight budget of about 200$ and for the pumps and nutes im already a bit over budget, i need to know if i plan on having 1-2 mothers how i should grow them , as i will move the clones to the dwc unit for vegging. should i make seperate small dwc buckets for the moms? or should i grow them in soil? i just wanna keep them alive as long as possible.
and what kind of lighting should i use for 2 moms, and the vegging dwc plants since i will have them seperated they cant use the same light,since i will change out light in the dwc unit for flowering.

basically i need to know what my best bang for the buck when it comes it lighting is (cfl,fluoro,LED?) and if 150w HPS would be even decent for flowering 4-6 plants in a 2'x3' space.

i also have more questions but right now this is the most important as i am a week away from prepping the room . thanks guys

ok you want a lot of info..have you read any of the grower guides on this site? first off a 150w hps? good for a really small s.o.g. not 4-6 plants not enough lumens(light intensity) you should definately grow your mothers in a GOOD organic soil w/amendments mixed in( might cost you about $20)if you want to grow your first harvest easily go get a 18x24 storage bin about 6in deep fill it with 4in rockwool cubes put your rooted clones(seedlings) in them. All you have to do is hand water them daily with your chosen nutes. You will be able to use your 150w all the way!! I would use a 400w hps though(I love that light)more lumens=bigger buds provided evironmental conditions are acceptable. Why are you trying to grow out of soil?? I think you should get to know your plants likes/dis-likes b4 you go hydro. they can die very quickly(overnight) with hydro(not normal, but i have seen it!) You can keep the moms under a cfl for a long time 1-2 years but the 150w would be better let me know if you have more???

Some good info thanks man , only problem is I can't always be there to water them , that's why I planned on hydro. I read somewhere that 150 w would be good as long as it's a small space for flowering and I throw the plants some co2 the flowering area is about 2'x2' and I'm gonna have to take it down to three plants.the mom tho I think I'll grow in soil like you said , and build a cheap clone machine then transfer clones to the tub when they root.I know I'm a novice but I do study things before I go through with them and it seemed Deep Water Culture was the way to go.good to know tho that ican use the hps light through the whole grow with supplemental light, I thought the hps was only for flowering :)

FYI co2 is part of a package to push the plant to it's full potential, the other important parts are intense lights and elevated temps on max feed. The gain that you would see without these conditions would not be worth the money or hassle. Lights, vent fan oscillating fan these are basics. Good food that is easy to get. And get one of the KUSH strains, usually easy to grow and good yield and TASTY>>>

just my opinion but HPS works everywhere, all the time,The only light I used except for cfl's for rooting clones. I haven't grown in 10 years but it always gave good buds& nice tight growth patterns. like I said more lumens=more bud, Also dr frenkenkush was right, put your money in a light not a co2 emitter system. They work great but only if your plants are performing to their potential.. I know, I know, I know " they work regardless if the plant is performing highly or not" but they are a costly investment if your grow isn't already dialed in.

Well yeah I should forget co2 for now and put the money in light , still can't afford 400 w lamps tho , so that's out of the plan , so mixed with a 150 watt hps how many cfls and what wattage should I use to veg 4 plants? Thanks again.oh and should I only use hps for flowering or can I use the cfls with that as well, I'm not looking for monstrous yield this is a personal grow for me and my buddy (both mmj patients) to save us a lil cash and trips to the dispensary :)

Well this is crap , I have a serious problem . Unexpected bills have screwed my lighting fund. I need to think out of the box to get this going. I need all the help I can get, it is a 2' by 2' space 7 ft high what can I do for lighting for 4 plants cheaply.need veg and flowering lights , I know it sucks but I really need someone to help me rack the numbers :(

With the space you've got the 150 hps and a few cfls (get at least 4 52watt) for fill and you should be fine . Get one grow in before you start spending lots of money. Do a hydro grow it's faster and you don't have to be right there , they can take care of themselves for a day or two at a time . Check out the tutorials under Deep Water Culture here on the forum lots to learn here . good luck :peace:

Well that's definately doable tho my lumens per sq ft will be a little low 4k . When I get the cfls I assume I want soft white correct?

5600k for veg and 2700k for flowering but it helps to mix them a bit in flowering . Try to get at least 42 watt cfls,thats the ones that are rated 150 watts. Even 26 watts will do but you want more wattage ! Use 4-6 of these for 6 plants and you'll do fine. Or stick with the 150 hps and add a little cfls for side lighting as they get bigger....:peace:

Well I'm definately going with an hps , been looking on craigslist and may have found a 400 watt hps/mh for 100 $ , I think if I get that I'll be set but I haven't heard back yet, but you're very helpful I was lost for lighting without you all :) , I will be starting a journal soon and hope everyone will follow and help me along the way

Back
Top Bottom