First Time Grower: Mars Hydro SP3000, Gorilla Grow Tent, White Widow & Strawberry Cough

So great to have you here and contributing PK1!
Good to know about the Fox Farm being ‘hot’; to what ratio should I add perlite in with the soil; a mix to about 1/3??
An additional fan will definitely be added and so will a trellis; it’s almost time to up pot them and move them into their final homes (3gal Fabric Pots).
3 gal. pots would be perfect for a short veg time. I think most people that have issues with Fox Farms tend to add things to the mix & also start using nutes too quickly. With this soil I don't use nutes for 3 weeks & then I start out with 1/4 the recommended dosage & up it a little each time I feed. More feed will not make them grow bigger or faster. It will cause Toxicities & possibly kill your plants if you over do it too much.

There's a guy on this site who makes the plastic clip on supports to attach poles in the center of the tent. He has a 3D printer he makes them with. I'm sure someone here will remember who it was.
That was an awesome thread and was the inspiration for me to do something about my tent! I wish I had a 3D printer but the slats are doing a pretty decent job so far!

Great 3D printed tent braces; inspired me to do something! Mine are incredibly rudimentary but they work
Ooh. Ya I see what ya got going on. It works haha. Thanks tho. Btw, thanks @Buds Buddy for the mention.

Not sure what your temps are in Celsius; but in F you probably need temps around 80 F in the tent to get 75 F leaf temp. So 1st you adjust your Tent temp till you reach a 75 F leaf temp (Laser Thermometer). Then you adjust RH to the Tent Temp using the VPD chart.
No need to pH your nutes. The lime in the soil will adjust it for you. It's not necessary to pH unless you are in Coco or Hydro.
Not sure how you'll manage 5 plants in a 2 x 4 tent. Like others have said, about 2 plants in that size tent. You will have to flower after just a couple weeks to make it work. You should still get about 2 oz. per plant that way. I wouldn't top or LST since you don't have much room to spread things out.
Nice set up though. It will be a great seedling tent when you expand. Most of the things depend on how much you are looking to harvest each grow. I pull about 2- lbs. off 3 plants with a 5 - 6 week veg time. So even in a 2 x 4 tent you can pull 1 lb. from 2 plants.
Buy a little 2' T5 light & hang it above a closet shelf so you can start your next grow about 4 weeks before this one finishes so you can keep on moving along.
Thank you for joining @Buds Buddy! Your input is greatly appreciated! @Northern Hydro and @r0am1ng st0ner were quick to point out my space limitations so I’m going to give my brother a White Widow and go down to four. My local store recommended 4 plants, short veg cycle and flip to flowering when plants get close to 2ft to 2.5ft.
After considering advice from members, and looking at @LandoC ’s success, I am planning on topping and putting up a trellis.
What are your thoughts? Am I on the right track?
Super pumped you’re here!

Thank you for joining @Buds Buddy! Your input is greatly appreciated! @Northern Hydro and @r0am1ng st0ner were quick to point out my space limitations so I’m going to give my brother a White Widow and go down to four. My local store recommended 4 plants, short veg cycle and flip to flowering when plants get close to 2ft to 2.5ft.
After considering advice from members, and looking at @LandoC ’s success, I am planning on topping and putting up a trellis.
What are your thoughts? Am I on the right track?
Super pumped you’re here!
If you Scrog you'll fill that tent with nice size cola's so yes, on track. It's probably your best option to get a really nice yield from a small grow area. I doubt you will be disappointed when you harvest. Appears you are doing quite well so far.

If you Scrog you'll fill that tent with nice size cola's so yes, on track. It's probably your best option to get a really nice yield from a small grow area. I doubt you will be disappointed when you harvest. Appears you are doing quite well so far.
Really appreciate it and you’ve alleviated some of my newbie stress!

Photo Update: Aug 31
I have been very reluctant to over water the girls but after picking them up on Sunday and using a Moisture Meter, it was clearly time to water!

I really enjoyed the watering process and, like others have mentioned, there was a sense of ritual in feeding them! I purchased a 3 Gallon watering can with a misting nozzle so that it would make me take my time in saturating them! I had mixed the nutrients, Ocean Magic and Medi-One- half of recommended quantity because I am slowly introducing them to nutrients, and gave the girls a drink around the perimeter.

Here is a description of the nutrients I’ll be adding:
2CA1CC69-6654-4F9A-B307-75A80A8DE47E.png

PH’d after adding the nutes:
BE705BED-7726-4F0A-8488-882C421D1594.jpeg

Being poured into my new watering jug (it had a pretty strong smell to it!)
7686CCF5-0DD9-48B9-B816-04A0D4AEE7E1.jpeg

Strawberry Cough #1 aka Calvin
7D4416F8-EFE6-4593-9202-329475253E4E.jpeg

Strawberry Cough #2 aka Hobbes
CFB11976-D22C-4F09-8454-5877C734AF04.jpeg

White Widow #1 aka Clarice
5E3D638F-5491-4E56-9030-0C5F991EB043.jpeg
White Widow #2 aka Yossarian and White Widow #3 aka Trout
A0960ECA-D742-4725-8533-F8FE27003372.jpeg

so... I named them... I just felt like it was the right thing to do as I feel like it makes sure I treat them individually.

I plan on watering Calvin & Hobbes and Yossarian when I get home from the pub tonight as they are very light but Trout and Clarice don’t need anything! Huge credit to @Emilya for her watering guide where she mentions to address each plants need individually! Bits of advice Li ke that is gold to me as a beginner.

So far everything is going... well, it’s going... I’m really enjoying the whole process but I find I’m in a constant state of worrying and hovering like a helicopter parent! I have a minor spider mite problem on my roses (apartment patio) and I am petrified that I’ll bring it indoors; any preventative advice on how to avoid/prepare for this would be very much appreciated.

I also plan on topping them and building a scrog very soon... stay tuned

To wrap this up I just want to give a shoutout and @PK1 for his bringing people to the party and to everyone who is following, participating and contributing! @Buds Buddy; I’ll be following your soil recommendation of transplanting into straight-up Happy Frog, thank you! It’s an awesome feeling to be part of the community; follow up soon!:yummy:

Attachments

• F42280F6-E213-4E91-A377-1E0750D4CE9B.jpeg
    F42280F6-E213-4E91-A377-1E0750D4CE9B.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 38
  • F80EE112-B979-4E6D-BC34-15841BD114F9.jpeg
    F80EE112-B979-4E6D-BC34-15841BD114F9.jpeg
    798.1 KB · Views: 43
do you happen to have a copy of that scheduling you are following. I don't know those nutrients and sure don't want you to burn your plants. That water mixture looks to dark to me. to my oppenion their to young to be feed. tap water should be enough for now

do you happen to have a copy of that scheduling you are following. I don't know those nutrients and sure don't want you to burn your plants. That water mixture looks to dark to me. to my oppenion their to young to be feed. tap water should be enough for now
Still at the pub but I’ll take a photo of the schedule and upload in a bit. I was wondering if it may be too early; I’ve been following advice from the local store who mentioned to feed into their second/third week. Currently the plants have between two to three nodes each; would they still be considered seedlings?

Are you using a Feed, Water, Water Schedule or Feed, Water, Feed, Water, Feed Water Schedule ?
Both ways work fine. I start out using the 1st method & slowly change over to the 2nd method when I see the plants needing more nutes by the leaf color getting light green. I never up my nutes till I see the leaves getting a lighter shade of green. That tells me they can handle more nutes. So far this has worked great for me as I haven't had any Toxicities or Deficiencies.
If you give nutes to a Dark Green Plant you are probably going to get a Toxicity. If you don't up the nutes when the leaves start getting light green you will probably get a Deficiency. So going by leaf color sure helps.

Your leaf color looks good right now so don't increase your nutes yet. A light feeding of nutes twice a week for the next 2 weeks & they will be ready for a stronger dose. By then your plants will be hanging over the sides of the pots from the growth. Once they take off they grow pretty fast.

Your leaf color looks good right now so don't increase your nutes yet. A light feeding of nutes twice a week for the next 2 weeks & they will be ready for a stronger dose. By then your plants will be hanging over the sides of the pots from the growth. Once they take off they grow pretty fast.
I ended up not watering last night when I returned from the pub; so far they have been given one extremely low dose of Ocean Magic and then another very low dose with both Ocean Magic & Medi-one. Good thing I didn’t because this is what I woke up to this morning:
66462A7A-E632-46EF-9539-9FCA5C9F9A38.jpeg
Not sure what’s happened but I am going through the pest section of the forum to see if I can identify the problem.

Back
Top Bottom