First time grower - Need your advise please

Sir Kaos

hello,

I would highly appreciate your advise on my specific situation considering the size im growing in. I have provided all necessary info for you to help me out if that is possible ofcourse.

I'm providing the exact growth space so you can give an advice on how much light I need at the first place. I will provide the exact measures to you. I would be glad if you can help me pick the correct light. I might not need 400w x2 or x3 plus HID lights, maybe only 250w x2 or x3.

Below you can see the map of the room that I plan to grow in. The area where it says "Balcon". Measures are: Length 3.40 meters and width is 1.5 - height 285 meters. I will only use 60 cm from the width of this room to grow in because it is the only source of light into my master bedroom.
Ofcourse the 60cm that i plan to grow at will be sealed and closed by a self made closet like room with mylar inner covers.

From the 3.40 meters length i will use 50cm for vegetation space and the rest 290 cm for flowering.
The height i have is 285 from ceiling to ground. 50 cm or 40 cm will be lost in height for the water tank below the plants. what remains as space is 235 meters height

QUESTIONS:

- How big (in gallons) should my pots be? or recommended size considering that in height i only have 235 meters plain with no lights installed yet for the ladies to grow.

- How much light i would need for space of 235 meters x 60 cm.

- How long would the plants grow, considering the correct amount of light to be used in the area size i provided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would very much appreciate your input into this.

thank you

Hello Sir Kaos,

If I did my coversion right looks like you will be flowering in a 2.5' w X 11.3' l X 7' H without lights. Thats 28 or so sqaure feet. The minimum I would suggest for flower would be 2 X 400 but you will be much happier with 2 X 600w. 16 square feet is the max size for a single 600w you have almost twice that amount.

I have about the same height restrictions as you and max my pot size at 3 gallon square pots.
For veg you will be good with 2' 4 bulb T5 high output cfl's

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hello Sir Kaos,

If I did my coversion right looks like you will be flowering in a 2.5' w X 11.3' l X 7' H without lights. Thats 28 or so sqaure feet. The minimum I would suggest for flower would be 2 X 400 but you will be much happier with 2 X 600w. 16 square feet is the max size for a single 600w you have almost twice that amount.

I have about the same height restrictions as you and max my pot size at 3 gallon square pots.
For veg you will be good with 2' 4 bulb T5 high output cfl's

Hope this helps. Good luck!

thx i'll look into it and let you know if anything is not clear to me.:high-five:

What I would do if I were you is get two 600 watt or two 1000 watt EYE HORTILUX or two CMH (ceramic metal halide) lights (CMH bulbs can be used for veg and flower). They are used with old style magnetic style HPS ballasts. These CMH bulbs have been said to outperform 1000 watt HPS bulbs. They are also the only HID that can safely be run bare bulb. Also, get a Magnum XXL reflector or another reflector that has a large spread and a dimpled german aluminum reflector. if you do decide to get a reflector get one that is air cooled or something else that spreads the light very well and has a glass piece to air cool the bulb. This keeps your bulb running cooler and your plants can be closer to the light because of the air flow. I like the bat wing reflectors but I would not use 1 unless I was using a commercial operation with AC units or chillers. The reason being is the bat wing reflectors do spread light better but they are not sealed and the heat is not contained inside glass like the Sun System reflectors that are air cooled. Also, with the air cooled reflectors if there is any kind of bulb breaking the glass will keep the hot pieces from falling and landing on the ground. The fire hazard is reduced using a air cooled reflector. Make sure all your wiring is done properly and keep everything off the ground...especially plug strips! Mount everything on the wall or put devices like fans and dehumidifiers mounted to the wall if possible. It sounds inconvenient but it might save your butt if your basement floods and you don't get electrocuted. Also, don't buy a Sunmaster for HPS. They lower your yields a lot. They are ok for metal halide but I would recommend Philips or EYE HORTILUX.

As far as how big an area you can grow you can grow about 4-6 plants in a Sea of Green type operation or a Screen of Green (SCRoG) in the size of the area you described. Right now I am utilizing metal screens that work for each individual plant and I bought them at the hardware store. They do a great job of spreading the canopy and making the plant very bushy. You can also use 6" garden netting but I prefer metal fencing wrapped in a cage if none is available. Use 3 gallon SMART POTS. Smart pots are made of fabric, drain and let oxygen get to the roots, and also prevent root circling and root bounding. A 3 gallon smart pot is perfect size for an indoor grow. Any larger is a waste of space and also soil if you are growing indoors. A bud plant uses the nutrients from about a gallon of soil a month, and they live about 3 months, so a 3 gallon pot works perfect. So, get 12 3 gallon Smart Pots, and fill them with Fox Farm Happy Frog or Fox Farm Ocean Forrest or a mix of the two. Put them very close together and try to cut off as few leaves as possible. I recommend reading up on the "TLO" or THE LIVING ORGANISM method of growing. It is all organic and you use all organic fertilizers. Also, makes the weed taste fanstastic. Best of luck. Also, if you are living in a medical state and have a good dispensary buying clones is a LOT easier than germing seeds.

What I would do if I were you is get two 600 watt or two 1000 watt EYE HORTILUX or two CMH (ceramic metal halide) lights (CMH bulbs can be used for veg and flower). They are used with old style magnetic style HPS ballasts. These CMH bulbs have been said to outperform 1000 watt HPS bulbs. They are also the only HID that can safely be run bare bulb. Also, get a Magnum XXL reflector or another reflector that has a large spread and a dimpled german aluminum reflector. if you do decide to get a reflector get one that is air cooled or something else that spreads the light very well and has a glass piece to air cool the bulb. This keeps your bulb running cooler and your plants can be closer to the light because of the air flow. I like the bat wing reflectors but I would not use 1 unless I was using a commercial operation with AC units or chillers. The reason being is the bat wing reflectors do spread light better but they are not sealed and the heat is not contained inside glass like the Sun System reflectors that are air cooled. Also, with the air cooled reflectors if there is any kind of bulb breaking the glass will keep the hot pieces from falling and landing on the ground. The fire hazard is reduced using a air cooled reflector. Make sure all your wiring is done properly and keep everything off the ground...especially plug strips! Mount everything on the wall or put devices like fans and dehumidifiers mounted to the wall if possible. It sounds inconvenient but it might save your butt if your basement floods and you don't get electrocuted. Also, don't buy a Sunmaster for HPS. They lower your yields a lot. They are ok for metal halide but I would recommend Philips or EYE HORTILUX.

As far as how big an area you can grow you can grow about 4-6 plants in a Sea of Green type operation or a Screen of Green (SCRoG) in the size of the area you described. Right now I am utilizing metal screens that work for each individual plant and I bought them at the hardware store. They do a great job of spreading the canopy and making the plant very bushy. You can also use 6" garden netting but I prefer metal fencing wrapped in a cage if none is available. Use 3 gallon SMART POTS. Smart pots are made of fabric, drain and let oxygen get to the roots, and also prevent root circling and root bounding. A 3 gallon smart pot is perfect size for an indoor grow. Any larger is a waste of space and also soil if you are growing indoors. A bud plant uses the nutrients from about a gallon of soil a month, and they live about 3 months, so a 3 gallon pot works perfect. So, get 12 3 gallon Smart Pots, and fill them with Fox Farm Happy Frog or Fox Farm Ocean Forrest or a mix of the two. Put them very close together and try to cut off as few leaves as possible. I recommend reading up on the "TLO" or THE LIVING ORGANISM method of growing. It is all organic and you use all organic fertilizers. Also, makes the weed taste fanstastic. Best of luck. Also, if you are living in a medical state and have a good dispensary buying clones is a LOT easier than germing seeds.

I'm gonna nominate you to Noble's Prize for the above:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom