First Time Grower: Novice Gardener

WthAmIDoing

Hello, all!

I am growing Outdoors for the first time. I have the cheapest set up possible— soil, Biothrive Grow & Bloom, and the sun :)

I have unknown seeds straight from a male plant. I currently have 5 plants: 3 sprouting and 2 currently growing. I live in Seattle and during this time (Early June) we can get a mix of gloomy and sunny days. I did not buy lights, so i germinated in a warm, humid shed in the window. The plants just sprouted, so I’ve been leaving them outside (i know, probably bad decision)

For the plants that are currently growing... i feel like they’re growth is a little stunted. Again, I’ve been leaving them outdoors and have not bought lights, and to be honest probably never will (unless they are a VERY reasonable price.. I’m a student)
I began feeding the growing plants BioThrive Grow (4-3-3) about twice a week and regular tap water for the rest. Considering it’s not very warm everyday, i don’t need to feed the plants very often.
I don’t expect to have a huge crop, considering i intend to make medicine out of these (both smoke and topical).

I’m assuming one of the seeds are Gelato, the rest are unknown. I also don’t know the sex of the seeds either.

I NEED TIPS! How can i have a successful first grow? I’ll be using this as my grow journal for updates along the journey. Thank you to everyone that read and i appreciate the future assistance!!

Hello, all!

I am growing Outdoors for the first time. I have the cheapest set up possible— soil, Biothrive Grow & Bloom, and the sun :)

I have unknown seeds straight from a male plant. I currently have 5 plants: 3 sprouting and 2 currently growing. I live in Seattle and during this time (Early June) we can get a mix of gloomy and sunny days. I did not buy lights, so i germinated in a warm, humid shed in the window. The plants just sprouted, so I’ve been leaving them outside (i know, probably bad decision)

For the plants that are currently growing... i feel like they’re growth is a little stunted. Again, I’ve been leaving them outdoors and have not bought lights, and to be honest probably never will (unless they are a VERY reasonable price.. I’m a student)
I began feeding the growing plants BioThrive Grow (4-3-3) about twice a week and regular tap water for the rest. Considering it’s not very warm everyday, i don’t need to feed the plants very often.
I don’t expect to have a huge crop, considering i intend to make medicine out of these (both smoke and topical).

I’m assuming one of the seeds are Gelato, the rest are unknown. I also don’t know the sex of the seeds either.

I NEED TIPS! How can i have a successful first grow? I’ll be using this as my grow journal for updates along the journey. Thank you to everyone that read and i appreciate the future assistance!!

Found some lost seeds!! thought they dropped on the floor but they actually landed in this garden box and they just sprouted lol. Right after i transplanted my tomatoes!! Well. I’ll transplant these when they get to a reasonable size

Don't overfeed or water this early in their growth. They will be stronger plants in the long run. Putting them outside is good...it hardens them to the elements. Wind will strengthen their stalks and varying temps will acclimate it to the coming summer. Put them in the biggest pot you can afford to use (including cost of soil...which is likely more than the fabric pot :)).

:goodluck:

This pot will be it’s final home (2.75gal). For these plants I’ll stick with the $8 soil and add my 2 step nute (BioThrive Grow&Bloom)

I’m heading out to the hydrostore to buy soil and other nutes for My sprouting plants. WhT do you recommend? I heard about Happy frog or fox farms. If i get those do i even need nutes?

I just want a simple medium

I’m heading out to the hydrostore to buy soil and other nutes for My sprouting plants. WhT do you recommend? I heard about Happy frog or fox farms

Both of those are excellent. I keep a jug of Big Bloom on hand if a plant is looking hungry at any point in the grow....

Began feeding black pot full strength (2tsp/gal) of BioGrow & I can already tell the difference.

Just transplanted clay pot into a bigger pot.
MEDIUM: dirt from garden (organic raised bed soil mixed with compost) and happy frog.

This will be the grow without adding nutes.

Week 6. Explosive growth. I fed it twice since my last post but because of the frequent raining, i may want to chill out on feeding for now. Just a gut feeling
I should see early-flowering soon! I’ve read online that the stipules usually cross in female plants and that can be a sign before the calyx forms. I think I’ll wait another week to be sure!

Not all plants will show preflowers during the vegetative cycle. And probably shouldn’t really. My guess is that ones that do show preflowers are probably hybrids that have some ruderalis in the mix somewhere. Since photoperiod plants require the change in light to trigger flowering, I’m guessing most outdoor grows won’t show sex until later in the year (assuming northern hemisphere).

Not all plants will show preflowers during the vegetative cycle. And probably shouldn’t really. My guess is that ones that do show preflowers are probably hybrids that have some ruderalis in the mix somewhere. Since photoperiod plants require the change in light to trigger flowering, I’m guessing most outdoor grows won’t show sex until later in the year (assuming northern hemisphere).
Ahh thanks for the info, BigBear! Im in washington state so now i know not to anticipate flowering with my seedlings.

Plants doing a lot better after transplant. It also looks like they’re female! The little hairs popped out this morning.

Seedlings doing well. I noticed a bunch of little opaque bugs scrambling through my soil. There’s literally a fucking colony in there. Looks like they chew on the old leaves. How can i stop this?

Sprouted like crazy but waiting for sex. Will be transplanting to a bigger pot in the next few days!

Summer is finally kicking in full throttle. I “transplanted” it 4 days ago by adding more soil to the bottom and putting it back in. Since then i haven’t fed it but it’s happy! I kept it in shade/partial light for a solid 3 days before full exposure.

I’m at a point where i want to grow a more bushy plant than a tall one. I’ve heard about tipping but have yet to research. I need to research the whole pruning process, dammit lol.
On another note it smells good :)

One plant showed female but the other has yet to express gender. Still using full feed Biothrive Grow 4-3-3.

and my “tomatoes babies” are doing just fine! I feel like i will damage the plant if i try to transplant concidering it’s so close to the tomatoes. I’ll just let these do their thing.

Transplanting these babies in a 5 gal mesh pot. This time I’m only using Happy Frog. I have a fertilizer made for tomatoes you can pre mix. It has more P&K than Nitrogen and the ratios are fairly higher than most soils (4-1-1ish). Wonder if it would be detrimental to the plant??

Transplanted one of the solo cup babies same day as above and used the same soil combination as the green pot (compost soil, happy frog, og raised garden bed soil). Waiting for it to take off! I want to experiment on this plant by using different nutes and care techniques. Throw some cheap recommendations below!!

Back
Top Bottom