First Time Grower - Plant Looking Bad

First off i would like to say hi to everybody, ive used your forums alot to help aid me in my grow (yes i did read the Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial, but im stil confused), yet i havent been able to solve the problems i have, so i request help for you experts with experience out there :)

Strain - Indica Green Funk Kush
# Of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
How Long - Week 2 (From when i got the clone)
Outdoors - Yes
Soil - .14-.09-.02 , mixed with some sand
Pot Size - Was in 3 gallon, now flushing soil, will put back in 3 gallon again
Nutrients - Botanicare Power Plant 3-1-4
pH - 6.0ish
Temp - Average Outside around 95+
Watering - Around 1 cup/day (2 if needed)
Pests - Spider Mites (killed em off)

The problems im having is that the leaves are yellowing off and im getting brown edges on leaves, and on the new growth leaves, their turning a dark green/grey and shriviling away on me.

IMG_0190-11.jpg

IMG_0191-1.jpg

IMG_0192-1.jpg

I honestly dont know what it could be, at first i was thinking it was pH problems, then nitrogen, then phosphorus, potassium... etc, now i think is calcium deficiency from looking at the problem FAQ guide, i cant seem to match up the problems i have with the guide. and i dont really want to rack up a huge budget for this hobby, and i dont want to kill it either.

too little water, given too often and also too early for nutes if in new soil = nute lockout.

Give more water so there's ~30 % runoff, watered only when the weight of the container gets light again, and skip nutes till she ready to hit puberty.

PS. Soil looks kinda heavy for quick drainage. next time try and score some perlite or rice hulls for the mix. and or put gravel in bottom of pots.

last year i had 2 outdoors that looked exactly like that and it was real hot .i put em in the shade where they got only early morning sun til around noon then it would get kinda shady the rest of the day and got almost 2 lbs from the 2 plants.though they were in plain topsoil.

ya the soil look slike it has a lot of mulch in there. next time get potting soil with perlite.

It does look a little like heat stress

At those temps heat stress could be compounding the problem, but snowbender is right. The leaf edges are curling and that is a sign of underwatering, which will cause the other problems. You should get 30% runoff as mentioned, and only be watering every 2 or 3 days. :peace:

ya the soil look slike it has a lot of mulch in there. next time get potting soil with perlite.

It does look a little like heat stress

Yah, right now temperature outside goes 95+ like every day, ill take G-man's tip and keep it in a shade spot next to some trees. Also, it is regular potting soil and i added some regular sand to it. Thanks 420warrior for your feedback to, hopefully it will bounce back in a week in the shade/sun with pH'd water only

advice here looks pretty solid so far. check the PH of your solution before u add it as well as the run-off. Move it to the shade to ease the heat issues, and also as already said, only water when the container feels light.

you have to make sure that you give enough to get a good amount of run-off (dont worry about over watering because as long as u let the soil dry out between waterings, you'll be ok on that front), it's crucial that you let the soil completely dry out between waterings.

:goodluck:

All the advice is very solid, but a couple other things you may like to try...1) if i read your post correctly the plant is only several weeks old. it actually wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourself a soil medium with at least a 30% perlite content, a larger container (maybe a 5 gal. pot) and transplant her. she's still young enough and i think the benefits would out weigh any time lost in the grow. in fact she'll probably bounce back beautifully. that would solve the drainage problem and also i have a feeling that part of your problem may be with a salt build up due to poor flushing. With the soil able to drain better you solve so many problems(root growth, nute uptake and flushing of salt build up) to name a few. 2) if it's at all possible during the extreme heat days your having. instead of taking her out of the sun, try digging a hole the size of your container and place her in there. There's no need to backfill because obviously if you wanted to move her around you don't need it to be a pain, but you wouldn't believe how much cooler it would be on the planter therefore cooler on the soil and roots and that should solve the heat problem without taking her away from the sun. anyway good luck and keep everyone posted.

*UPDATE*

Well ive taking advice for you guys, and decided to post a pic of what it looks like now, the browning leaves have just gone dryer, so im assuming their dead now. would it be wise to cut them off or trim the leaves of brown. There are also 3-4 different signs of new growth happening all over the plant, so it should bounce back. I didnt add perlite, but added more sand to the flushed soil (drains quickly now) and ive been keeping it in the shade of nearby trees.

@Jamis, its ive had the clone for 2 weeks now, dunno how long its been at the club though

IMG_0248-1.jpg

I didn't think of this before but I'm assuming the clone was indoor before. It may be shocked from the intensity of the sun. If it's possible to move into less light or inside in a window that would likely help. I have never moved from indoor to out but the plants need "hardened off" to acclimate to it's new environment.

in the first pic the leaves look like they are folding up down the center. Like they are praying. I think thats a sign of a mg def.

Thats correct,but the curling leaves are also a sign of underwatering which he was doing

*UPDATE*

Thanks to everybody who posted feedback and tips, ive been feeding it just pH'd water and today i gave it very diluted nutes to help with growth. ive also kept it more in the shade it has improved tremendously!

Question: Should i cut the dry part of the leaves off with scissors or just leave em on? If so, can somebody inform me on the proper way of cutting it, thanks :)

ALSO, should i invest in those shade cloths, and if so, how much sun should it block? should i get a 70% allow for sun or less?

IMG_025811.jpg

hi guys just my 2 sense. it may not be getting proper drainage. that water should pouring out of the bottom. you should transplant it and use perlite sand and spagnum peat moss rocks at the bottom. it looks like its in shock already. id transplant it and try to get it in lower temps. give 1/4 nutes after transplanting.:peacetwo:

dont cut any part of the leaves off, or cut any whole leaves off. the plant needs all the leaf suface area as possible. your plant is not out of the woods yet and any open wounds to her could invite several problems. She's been in shock and just needs some time to recover.
As i posted before though i would change the medium. Go with a soil mix with around 30% perlite and a good peat content. Also, it looks like there is some new growth from the earlier pics...so she is starting to recover. Keep an eye on the new growth rather than the dying leaves, they'll tell you what the plant is doing and what it needs. Keep the pics coming, she may make it yet. good luck

*UPDATE*

For those interested, im posting new updates on the plant and ive got 1 question to go along with it.

Question: Nearing night time, the stems which hold the leaves up start to droop and the leaves sag down a little bit, then in the morning they go back up, i want to know whats causing this problem, is it over watering, under watering, nutes to early?

IMG_0285-1.jpg

Also, are these signs of pistils or what?

IMG_0295-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom