First Time Grower PPM Question

Slim Jim

420 Member
Sorry this is a bit long but I’m desperate. So my daughter brought me a wee plant in early veg. I believe it’s Sativa Summer Cough. I’ve been learning as I go. We transplanted (a bit root bound) into a 10gal fabric bag using Purple Cow Indicanja living soil. For the most part it grew very well. We acquired a 1000w LED and brought her in right at the beginning of flower. She remained healthy & happy. As flowering began and all the bud sites formed it’s like she stalled some. A few days with little change. At water today I added a tsp of unsulphered molasses to 1gal (I had watered 1.5g plain ph 6.5 RO water yesterday). I tested the runoff. Ph looked consistent but my ppm were 5800! I tested them early in veg at 2000 which I had read was normal. I haven’t since. Now I’m trying to figure out if I have a lockout problem. The only thing I added recently besides water is Back country Bloom (recommended by our local grow store) twice, 2 weeks apart. The second being about a week ago.

I apologize for the length, but this is so new and I’m desperate not to make a mistake. I added cal/mag and some fish emulsion back in veg and got immediate mild burn. So I know better than to mess around!

Guru help appreciated! I wasn’t this concerned with my 3 kids!

Adding some grow journey pics. Most recent are ones with scrog net.
90780E28-88C3-41CD-A35B-F16A55F0184F.jpegDB8BB7FD-5B4B-4AC7-9637-A9D065DD8DEB.jpeg53E52C40-03EF-4AFA-9E35-DEC5234535AB.jpeg6C23D610-2AB8-4722-98A5-C9BB2E4492BD.jpegAD60A0E6-772C-4073-B288-21627453FDA2.jpeg01103BE9-8F3B-489A-8970-C292351E8B66.jpeg5CF3C2ED-C3AD-4A3F-B273-639D2F0B937C.jpeg18531354-F163-48C8-85AE-BA0C438D5814.png

:welcome: i wouldnt check my run off, it just makes things confusing. Do a slurry test with distilled water and find out what the ph and or ppm is. she looks good tho.

Thank you! Yes that’s the thing. She seems super healthy, not too green but no spotting or yellowing, etc. I have the 1000w LED full spectrum about 21 inches from highest point on canopy. Is that close enough? Terrified to burn her!

So maybe I’m just paranoid. Left is Tuesday and today is Friday. So is that normal flower growth for 3 days? I read that organic is slower. I’m just so worried I’ll mess her up.
44983191-C3D8-4CAB-9108-5926B4F6AAC9.jpeg

Does it look like Sativa to you? She said she thought it was Summer Cough. I think she meant Strawberry Cough. I’m going to buy some seeds soon so I know. But have no clue what she is! And she’s shorter than most. I did a good amount of low stress training to level the canopy.

follow the manufacture recommendation on the light hight. not sure on the strain.

i see mixture of thick and thin leaves. deffinitly a mix

Overall looks like you've done a fine job for you're first attempt.
She looks healthy.

A couple of suggestions to think about.
Are you attempting an organic grow or have you decided to bottle feed?
If you use synthetic nutrients it will harm your microbes and mess up the symbiotic relationship between your plants roots and the mycorrhizae.

Best to just stick to one or the other.

If you choose to bottle feed you're probably better off with an inert medium like Coco with 30% pumice.
Use 5-7 gallon fabric pots and water every day with 1/4 strength nutrients made for Coco.

If you choose organic then I'd go with 15+ gallon fabric pots and FILL the soil to top of pot with some form of a Clackamas Coots soil recipe, add a mulch layer and add a sparse cover crop, add Rove Beetles to kill the inevitable fungus gnats.
Feed the soil not the plant.

Also put the pot on a pot elevator to get airflow under the pot.

Overall looks like you've done a fine job for you're first attempt.
She looks healthy.

A couple of suggestions to think about.
Are you attempting an organic grow or have you decided to bottle feed?
If you use synthetic nutrients it will harm your microbes and mess up the symbiotic relationship between your plants roots and the mycorrhizae.

Best to just stick to one or the other.

If you choose to bottle feed you're probably better off with an inert medium like Coco with 30% pumice.
Use 5-7 gallon fabric pots and water every day with 1/4 strength nutrients made for Coco.

If you choose organic then I'd go with 15+ gallon fabric pots and FILL the soil to top of pot with some form of a Clackamas Coots soil recipe, add a mulch layer and add a sparse cover crop, add Rove Beetles to kill the inevitable fungus gnats.
Feed the soil not the plant.

Also put the pot on a pot elevator to get airflow under the pot.
Right on! Thank you! Yes fully organic. It’s on a raised cart we built. I’ll look at what you suggested to see if it’s similar. The Purple Cow Indicanja is so new there isn’t a lot available. Being inside I wasn’t sure how many good critters I could introduce. Is it true that organic grows a bit slower? She’s been super healthy with little issue since I got her. We had a few mites we took care of by wiping all the leaves with an herbal bug killer. Worked awesome. I use a lot of homemade insecticide soap in my Reg garden and I did on here early on. But not since she went to flower. I have 3 clones I’m experimenting on. I love all of it! I don’t think most people realize the science & knowledge someone needs to grow these!!!

Oh and one more thing. I added mycorrhizae to the root area when I put her in this pot. I’m putting a bit of blackstrap molasses in with watering Sri feed the microbes as well.

Right on! Thank you! Yes fully organic. It’s on a raised cart we built. I’ll look at what you suggested to see if it’s similar. The Purple Cow Indicanja is so new there isn’t a lot available. Being inside I wasn’t sure how many good critters I could introduce. Is it true that organic grows a bit slower? She’s been super healthy with little issue since I got her. We had a few mites we took care of by wiping all the leaves with an herbal bug killer. Worked awesome. I use a lot of homemade insecticide soap in my Reg garden and I did on here early on. But not since she went to flower. I have 3 clones I’m experimenting on. I love all of it! I don’t think most people realize the science & knowledge someone needs to grow these!!!
I haven't had any problem with slow growth.
I think if your soil is healthy and in 25 gallon fabric pots then the plant has everything it needs, then dial in the environment and she grows like a weed.

Grow I did last year she grew a solid 4" average in a day, everyday for more than a week, that's like bamboo.

September 10th 2019 10:47am
Not a good angle but the top is about 1/2 way up the tile that the little black temp/humidity gage is stuck to in the left of pic.
20190910_104744.jpg

September 18th 2019 11:12am
8 full tiles in 8 days and it's 4.25" between each grout line.
You can see the temp/hum guage the top was just barely higher than 8 days earlier.

20190918_111229.jpg

Doesn't get much faster growth than that, although this is an autoflower but still.

I haven't had any problem with slow growth.
I think if your soil is healthy and in 25 gallon fabric pots then the plant has everything it needs, then dial in the environment and she grows like a weed.

Grow I did last year she grew a solid 4" average in a day, everyday for more than a week, that's like bamboo.

September 10th 2019 10:47am
Not a good angle but the top is about 1/2 way up the tile that the little black temp/humidity gage is stuck to in the left of pic.
20190910_104744.jpg

September 18th 2019 11:12am
8 full tiles in 8 days and it's 4.25" between each grout line.
You can see the temp/hum guage the top was just barely higher than 8 days earlier.

20190918_111229.jpg

Doesn't get much faster growth than that, although this is an autoflower but still.
Love it! She grew like crazy in Veg. No issues at all. Bring that this is my first time I expected Flower stage to be just as rapid. Definitely very healthy, and the buds are filling in along the stalk but the outer buds haven’t changed a lot in 5 days or so. Is that normal? I’m watering today. Is the Unsulphered Molasses good? I only added a Tsp as I wasn’t sure last time. I heard I can add a couple Tbs to feed microbes. Any advice sure is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom