First Time Grower - Soil and MG

@gt ... Not sure what lollipop means but i did cut some of the damage from the no watering week. it makes sense to cut them out of the way so the buds can get all of the light but how much can I trim off without damaging them?

@ drredwhite. I am still using the shop lights. It has been a rough week for the plants. They went without water for the week of thanksgiving so when i got back it was after lights out on the timer so i just turned the room on and skipped that night session. It worked out pretty well. Plus the light thats in the pic is a 23 watt that i run on the side and was rested on the pots; it fell over and took two main stems and buds down with it and now the stems a re weak, hence the shoe strings in the bud pic. I should be getting two 125 watt cfl bulbs that i will put in the room as well. So far mg WORKS!!!!!!!

I used MG for a bunch of years back when your choices were limited big time. Kinda dates me a bit. If your careful not to overfertylize you can grow nice plants with it. I was gone over the weekend myself and had cuttings in their second week along with some new seeds I started. The cuttings are okay but the seedlings really took off and I hit em with a mild dose of another reasonably priced water soluable fert called Carl Pool BR-61 and epsom salts. It is rated at 9-58-8 which I like to bump start roots and stems. It is also a great tool during bloom. Which Miracle grow are you using? I also grew a lot of plants all the way thru with the 4 foot shop lights, back then I even smoked the leaves! The only complaint I had about the Miracle gro as a fert was that I knew nothing of flushing back in the olden days and the bud didn't like to burn clean. I did some learning and found that wick systems and MG were a fine match. Flourescent tubes sure make pretty plants.

yes they do, I'm impressed so far. I am using the basic all purpose mg plant food and the bloom booster. I have been using both recommended amounts at same time and its working out nicely. Yesterday I did some trimming so that the light could reach all bud spots. Can the leaves actually be smoked for a high? We joked about it yesterday after i trimmed because i had atleast an ounce of dried leaves haha. I didn't smoke it but my buddy did, (smelled like shit). Another note; I will be flushing completely 2 waterings before harvest and water up to harvest.

Dr.RW,

How did you find out about wicks working with MG?

I used a rubbermaid wick planter about 25 yrs ago with MG and the smoke was great. (I did flush)

I am recently using OC+ and am wondering how will it would work with a wick system.

I experimented! I needed a way to keep my plants from drying out when I was working in the oilfield and read about wicks in a garden magazine. It worked fine and I had to water on a weekly basis, actually add solution to the reservoir. I haven't used OC+ yet but I have used Lilly Miller CRFs (similar to OC+) this spring in a wick system and it was awesome. Sooo easy just add PH'd water to the reservoir. That was using a Perlite/peat moss/fullers earth mix at 3:blushsmile:1 mix. Fullers earth came from a bag of floor sweep/oil absorbant I get at the auto supply store. The reason I used Miracle gro is because it was all I could afford at the time and everyone else I knew was using it. I still use it for making up mild fert solutions when starting seedlings out. My first wick system used the Fullers earth, and Miracle gro 15-30-15 mixed at 2 teaspoons, 2 teaspoons of epsom salts and a teaspoon of hydrated lime per gallon. That grow turned out great but I should have used 2 gallon pots, the 1 gallon pots were just a bit too small. I had no problems with over ferting but did occasionally just add water to the reservoirs. Don't know why the smilie is there but the ratio is 3 parts perlite, 1 part peat moss and 1 part Fullers earth.

Finally got some more wattage in the room. I went to lowes and got two 150 watt 5000k bulbs. I dont have the best setup but i think it will work out.
18514.jpg
18416.jpg
18315.jpg

Also I will be flushing tom and not entirely sure on the process. I will run about 3 times the water in the sink and completely flush the soil. I also bought more soil because i had around 2 inches of sand in the bottom that has now washed out leaving extra room. I think i should add the soil before the flush... ? I also picked up some epsom salt so I will add that to the mix the feeding after the flush. Any info helps alot.

I'd flush before I mixed in the new soil. You can feed again right after you flush the soil too. 1 to 2 teaspoons of epsom per gallon of water is pretty much the standard amount. More light is always better and things look good already. If you are in 1 gallon pots then run 3 gallons of water thru them for the flush, 3 times pot volume is enough flushing.

so ive been pretty busy but my plants finished up a few days ago and the bids have dried and are now curing, I flushed about a week before harvest. Im not gonna lie i've tried it out haha and its pretty good so far, I cant wait for the final cure bud. I got 26 grams total, right under an ounce. I think I'll get more light next time

011392.jpg
009474.jpg

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

You must be doing something right, the plants look fine to me.
As far as reflective material, I have been using the same stuff,
Bubble wrap reflective for insulation of metal roofs. It works fine for me.
You can see it in my Berry Bomb journal. here is a link for a hydro system,
but can be made for hanging lights and another pic of a light setup from
another member here on 420.

flowlitl.jpg

DSCN039961.JPG

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom