First time grower! Updating every week - Help me improve

tylert16

Hello all,

I am a first time grower. I drew my inspiration from a few friends who grew in the past and were successful. I am growing (indoors) a power Africa strain (sweet seeds) which was crossed with a kush male 2 generations down. Since this is my first time growing, I am looking for advice to improve my skills and overall creating a better product. I created a grow box out of a old dresser. It is about 3ft tall and about 1.5ft wide. It is not the most optimal grow box, but it's a start. I am also in the process of buying some mylar to put up around the inside of the box.

The soil is Gardener's Pride all-purpose potting soil which has composted forest products, top soil, sand and perlite in it. For the fertilizer I am using Miracle Grow water soluble tomato plant food (18-18-21), which I mixed 1/2 a teaspoon in a gallon of water to dilute it.

I germinated the seeds by wrapping them in a damp paper towel for about 48 hours. Some of the seeds began to grow roots, while others are still struggling. I took one of the seeds that had grown a root about an inch long and planted it into the soil I listed above. I also sprayed the soil with the diluted fertilizer prior to planting.

I am using different CFL lights I found around my house, a total of six bulbs. I am plan on keeping lights 18 hours on and 6 off until flowering, then, I will probably do 12 on 12 off.
(3) 18w 1200 Lumens 2700k
(3) 20w 1200 Lumens 2700k
(114 watts total)

The lights are only a couple inches above the cup that I planted the seed in.

I have been keeping track of the temperature and humidity inside the grow box. The temperature has been staying steady around 32 degrees Celsius and the humidity at 26%.

I will be doing my best to keep this post updated as a method of track my success. I will also work on including more detailed pictures so you guys can have a better idea of what I am working with. As I said above, I am completely open to advice and criticism. Obviously there are many improvements to be made, but keep in mind this is my first attempt.

Thank you!
Tylert16

Re: First time grower! (Updating every week) **Help me improve**

Welcome to :420: tylert :welcome:

Great start on your grow. You might want to set this up as a grow journal by starting a new thread in that forum. Also, those 2700k bulbs are better suited for flowering. Try to get some 6000k bulbs which give much better results for veg.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask FAQs And check out New Member Start Links for lots of awesome tips!

:Namaste:

You might want to consider a search of the forums, I recall reading growers have had issues using Miracle Grow as a fertilizer, to hot and burns your plants.

Back
Top Bottom