First time grower with issues

@Bud basher after first season and I save a bit of money, this corona's eaten alot of my funds. I will be investing in a proper light.

That's the light I've got just now 20200612_131028.jpg
It was part of the tent kit I got. I was looking at some of the sponsored growlights that flash up the top of the page. I'd prefer to keep led as it's cheaper.

Sorry Scottishweed I thought you had hps light, I am not that much of a fan of LED as any decent ones cost a fortune and even then it’s pot luck if they do what they promise I know as I brought some really expensive units and they was crap, looks like that unit you have only draws 265 watts me personally I wouldn’t even use it cause it’s not powerful enough to grow good weed, sorry to say mate but you need good light as I mentioned before that’s just how it is with this game if you want good yields, used gear on eBay is your best bet I can help you with what to get and I use, I don’t brag or bullshit especially to new comers but you should be able to get 20+ ozs of dried gear out of that space no matter what the strain, I have made so many mistakes at first when I started growing, that’s why we all on here try and help newcomers not to do the same, so let us know I am happy to help.

Hello Scottishweed, Just wanted you to know, when I plant my seedlings, I don't have a dome to keep humidity up High, I also don't like to use a humidifier in my closet, its a waste, what I do is I fill a tray or couple of trays with water then put in a few pieces of small hardwood blocks to create like small islands to put my dixie cups on, little dixie cups surrounded by water, top up as nessasary works good for me. CHeers

@Bud basher ok I'm in the case for a new led, thanks for your honesty. No idea where to start, heard alot of folk use MARSHYDRO or VIPARSPECTRA I could stretch to about £150 but living in the remote north of scotland delivery times n costs can be a nightmare. Just gotta do some research.

Ok SW I am afraid your budget for an led light is not going to be enough, I won’t mention the name cause there are a sponsor on here but the led lights I had 2 of them was £2750 each and the other 4 of the same make was £1350 each the large ones drew 780 watts and the smaller ones drew 433 watts, I done a side by side in an 8x4 tent with one of the bigger 780 watt ones and a 660 watt hps the hps beat it by 4 oz all cuttings from the same mother plant all fead the same nutrients, the only LEDs I would look at now are Samsung strips or cobs are cheaper but not quite as good but a decent unit for a 4x4 space your looking at £500 minimum for good coverage, hps has been around since it all started and still is used in the big grow ops in the states today, why cause it works.
For £150 you could buy a new or used hood and a used digital ballast and still have enough for a bulbs and get a couple of grows under your belt, then past a bit on to your mates to buy a good led, but I recon you will stick with hps as it’s easier and does what is says on the tin.

After some reading yea the budgets not goin 0to do much so will have to go bigger but at the moment I'm stuck. Think I can get a couple hps lights etc through a mate. I did have a look at some of the sponsor lights and seen a few.

I've lowered the light to manufacturers spec so I'll see it that does anything positive in the next few days. They are comin on though and with gettin the feeding sorted.

This is a problem with LEDs unless you can read your plants well or have a £200 par meter the height adjusting is a pain in the arse, where do you have the tent set up?

@Bud basher at the moment it's out in a cupboard which is fairly cool. It may be getting moved to my mates spare room.

Would recommend hps then? For better yields I'll cough up the extra money. Bl**dy expensive hobby lol but least itll pay for itself in the long run.
I've got a 1x1x2m tent. Whatd you recommend power wise? 450, 600 or 1000w. Been hunting Ebay and 600 seems to most common.

1x1 metre square a 600 watt is perfect for that size tent that will give really good light coverage look for a used sun system block buster air cooled reflector or a magnum xxxl air cooled, as in the hot months you can cool the reflector, people will say oh there old these ones are better,those are better,I am telling you they work extremely good I have nanolux double ended bulb units and these ones I mentioned are just as good as those and run much cooler even without a fan cooling them you should be able to find these used and if you look for used digital ballast get the 400 volt 250 to 660 watt type of you can find one, but not the end of the world if you can’t just get a regular digital one,you will need the bulbs to match to as they are different to the regular 600 watt 240 volt bulbs all run on 240 plug in the wall, I have spent multiple thousands on lights and trust me this light set up will do you proud.

@Bud basher Cheers for that and yea by the sounds of it you've spent a fortune on lighting and seem to know your stuff so I'll take your advice, so I'm on the hunt for the aforementioned set up. I found a magnum xxxl... used on ebay but from the states so I'll keep looking. Ballast is easy enough then it's just the case of finding the bulbs.

Anything to help boost yields and the quality.

Sorry for all the questions bud your a good man :thumb:

Right so we've got a hps set up, just trying to find where hes put it. Not the aforementioned set up but it's a start and will be investing in the set up bud basher suggested.

Currently I have the led light about 30cm from plants and no adverse effects in the last 36-48 hours. I'm starting to leave the plants an extra day or so as when I think they need watered. I've got 1 girl supported at the moment as shes a bit leggy and top heavy so she'll be reported a tad deeper come her next feed. All looking ok. Got the humidity about 65% still need to raise temp a bit but hopefully the hps can help there.

@Bud basher I couldnt as hes not sure where he put them. I've got a hps coming on sat just a cheap on til I can save cash, so once it's delivered it's full steam ahead. The girls are coming on nicely atm. Cant wait to see how they take to the new light.
How high would I set it? I've read between 14-25" for a 600w.
Once I've got the light set up I'll get a proper photos up. I check them 2ce a day and water every 2-3days depending. They showing no signs of having issues or atleast none that Im noticing as yet.

What’s up SW if you have an adjustable ballast they have 250,400,600 and 660 watts settings I would go 400 watts at 18 inches off the canopy to start see how they respond, when they get to 6 inches high crank it up to 600 watts at 18 inches just check with the back of your hand at the canopy to make sure it’s not to intense at all times, just to be sure, as all hps can be a bit different with heat, if you have a ballast that’s not adjustable only 600 watts put the height at 24 inches and check with your hand and watch em grow.

Hey @Bud basher the lights now in and set up. Desperately need to get a couple more fans an the heats just jumped a hell of a lot more than anticipated (about 10°C) so here's hoping the girls fill out n grow up to be bigger ladies

Yes mate unfortunately the hps pumps out a lot of heat but I grantee you will see the results but remember in the winter u need heat which won’t cost from the hps but heaters cost double to heat when lights are off if you want and can? Leave the tent open to cool it if it gets to hot that’s why I suggested a air cooled reflector to make life easier.

Hps ain't good I can't get the temp down its sitting 34-35+°C with an rh of 35% can't leave the cupboard open and cant vent outside. Got 3 fans blowing but only circulating the hot hair. My mates now told me I can use his cupboard so I think this experiment coming to a very every expensive end

Plants dying rapidly temps up to 40°c rh is down 2 35%, can't open cupboard door and can't vent it any more. Spending too much on this and now tempting just to pack it up and sell the lot

The only way I can get this to work is by led at the moment. Obviously moneys still a concern. Hps may be better and more efficient but would need to spend a heap on cooling, without disowning or selling my daughter to use her bedroom... which may have crossed my mind pml. Joking before anyone goes ape

Back
Top Bottom