First Time Grower

Hey Dudewheresmyc, I feel like I have to interject here as I'm uncertain as to whether this method has worked for you before but light actually damages roots as far as I know. Maybe cover the propogator with a cover or something to keep it dark but still warm and make sure the paper towels stay moist. This is only me experience but I would hate to see you lose seeds because of a possible small error. I hope everything works out for you, all the best :thumb:

Once their taproots are out I would pot them and still leave the seeds without light until they have first sprouted out with their cotyledons showing (the leaves that break the shell apart). I think the darkness helps them to actually push up looking for the light so to speak. Again this is only the method I use. :goodluck: with your grow.

Kraize I do have the seeds covered. I have taped cardboard over the propagator to keep light out and have also put a dark bag over the top of that. So hopefully it's completely dark in there. I might just put an extra layer over to make sure now you say that.

The light is just being used to keep temperatures up as it's a little cold here today. I'm aiming for between 70-75f does that sound about right for germination?

Sticky nugs you are not wrong There is always something new to be learning

Hello, I wouldn't say you were too far out with that maybe a couple of degrees celsius more (not too sure on fahrenheit over here but I would think around 75-80). My main worry though would actually be the light as they're quite hardy these plants (I should fail at growing everytime yet I manage to scrape a harvest lol) but unfortunately as seedlings their only protection is their shell and once their root is out of that it needs the right conditions to grow in.

I'm sure someone else will be able to step in with their advice but this is what works for me personally. Aye it's a bit grim up north here too today, still can't control the temps in my tent :rofl: All the best :thumb:

Well I've now covered in some more cardboard. Now has cardboard then some old packaging then a big box over the top of that. So will now be well protected from light.

I've also turned the extract off to raise temps a little it's now sitting steady at 80f up near the light and on top of one of the tissues is 75f.
Any ideas of a temp in c that you would use for germination? I don't mind doing the conversion

20150824_181221.jpg
2015-08-24-18-27-09.png
20150824_181304.jpg

I'm not a great fan of feeding seeds and seedlings for awhile after having read about them as most of their nutrients are stored in the shell and cotyledons which should last them the first 2 or 3 weeks. I did add a miniscule amount of Canna Rhizotonic for my latest batch at the seedling stage just to help their roots progress, but less is more in all cases of feeding imo. 5l they'd be dead surely lol, I'm not throwing 5l of anything other than water or water mixed with nutes even in full bloom :)

I am condidering either canna of biobizz soil or coco. What do you dislike about coco? Seeds have arrived so im dying to get started now

It was probably my fault with the brick of compressed coco many years ago. Cheap stuff and the guy at the store said nothing about flushing it so that's probably why the plants grew so sickly in it. Peat based soilless mixes are plentiful here and cheaper so I'll always use them when growing in pots.

L8r

I'm not a great fan of feeding seeds and seedlings for awhile after having read about them as most of their nutrients are stored in the shell and cotyledons which should last them the first 2 or 3 weeks. I did add a miniscule amount of Canna Rhizotonic for my latest batch at the seedling stage just to help their roots progress, but less is more in all cases of feeding imo. 5l they'd be dead surely lol, I'm not throwing 5l of anything other than water or water mixed with nutes even in full bloom :)

If a freshly sprouted seed is placed into real dirt it starts eating nutrients present in the dirt. With a soilless mix there are no nutrients in it so I always feed 1/4 strength nutes to mine in ProMix as soon as the first set of true leaves are part way out. Never had anything but decent growth doing that. Just the one feed until it starts getting a bit bushy then it's time for a 3" square pot and 1/2 strength nutes.

L8r

Im holding off on starting a journal until the seeds crack as I dont want to jinx them.
I have borrowed a heat mat from a friend as I couldn't keep the temps up last night was only around 70f and nothing happend so light is off today but heat mat is on so hopefully will be a little higher now.
Hopefully last nights cold hasnt hurt anything

Hope you have a thermometer in with the beans. No more than 80F and 75 would be better to sprout them safely. Same with cuttings when you get around to trying that. A bit lower temps may slow things down but higher temps makes it easier to get mold or fungus going and you don't want that. The one time I used a heat mat for cuttings I lost all 36 of them to stem rot in one day.

L8r

I will note the playstion idea for future reference.
I have a probe sat in the tissue and its been a around 80f since yesterday.
Three of the seeds now have a bit of root just poking out one is yet to do anything but I will check again in the morning. Ill try and keep an eye on temps and hopefully have them out of there in soon. I wouldn't want to loose them to mould or anything for that matter

I've seen a variety of different ways but for me the one which has less chance of damage to the root is a preference. It works for either way but with the amount of things I can get to go wrong in a grow I like to at least cut that option out of the equation. All the best :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom