First time grower

Neala101

420 Member
I need some help. I have been reading in the threads but can't find the info needed. First off. I followed the germination correctly. Now planted in pots. The info I have is from Crop King Seeds website. But I was directed here to get answers. I have tried to read a few posts, but as I am new to this I didn't understand the abbreviations.

Yes, I have seen how CK just dumps their "help" links to here...kinda shitty if you ask me.

However, it landed me here as well and i have learned much in the time since.

The basics are simple. Are you growing in soil? Fabric soil pots are worthwhile if so, and the larger the pot (5/7/10 gallon) the easier the grow and bigger the plant.

Growing indoors or outdoors? Outdoors in soil...doesn't get much easier or cheaper. Indoor? You'll need a decent light, and asking here for opinions on lights will bury you with feedback. Define your space, decide if you want to do this for more than one grow, then set your budget. @GROWant and @TimberGrowLights, Mars Hydro, and Kind LED are 420 sponsors and they all offer good lighting options at varying price points. With lights, you get what you pay for so it is unlikely a $100 light will do as well as a $200 light.

Now you have this thread....just post the abbreviations and a ? and people will reply.

:goodluck:

Yes, I have seen how CK just dumps their "help" links to here...kinda shitty if you ask me.

However, it landed me here as well and i have learned much in the time since.

The basics are simple. Are you growing in soil? Fabric soil pots are worthwhile if so, and the larger the pot (5/7/10 gallon) the easier the grow and bigger the plant.

Growing indoors or outdoors? Outdoors in soil...doesn't get much easier or cheaper. Indoor? You'll need a decent light, and asking here for opinions on lights will bury you with feedback. Define your space, decide if you want to do this for more than one grow, then set your budget. @GROWant and @TimberGrowLights, Mars Hydro, and Kind LED are 420 sponsors and they all offer good lighting options at varying price points. With lights, you get what you pay for so it is unlikely a $100 light will do as well as a $200 light.

Now you have this thread....just post the abbreviations and a ? and people will reply.

:goodluck:
I'm growing in soil. Indoors. Just read I need to vent it, not handy with D.I.Y. My craft room has been changed to The Grow Room. Before I move anything out of the room, I have a 4 X 3 X 10 space I am working with.

I'm growing in soil. Indoors. Just read I need to vent it, not handy with D.I.Y. My craft room has been changed to The Grow Room. Before I move anything out of the room, I have a 4 X 3 X 10 space I am working with.
4x3 is plenty big.

Venting is only necessary if smell and heat is an issue. Are you in a legal area? Are you trying to be stealthy?

LED lighting does not generate a lot of excess heat (comparatively) and a simple oscillating fan will provide air movement for the plants.

4x3 is plenty big.

Venting is only necessary if smell and heat is an issue. Are you in a legal area? Are you trying to be stealthy?

LED lighting does not generate a lot of excess heat (comparatively) and a simple oscillating fan will provide air movement for the plants.
That is great. Thank you. Here i thought I was going to have to buy Ozone Generator. I still may have to so my visitors won't smell it.
Fairly legal come September, but don't want to let others around me see.

That is great. Thank you. Here i thought I was going to have to buy Ozone Generator. I still may have to so my visitors won't smell it. Fairly legal come September, but don't want to let others around me see.
I don't vent (or worry about smell)...but those that do use a small fan and a carbon filter...haven't seen anyone using an ozone generator.

Firstly, that thread is 420Mag...:)

Like I said, I don't vent or worry about smell so if they recommend ozone generator that is def an option. An easy way to get feedback on the subject is to visit some popular threads and ask "who uses an ozone generator and are they worth it?".

Look for @newty , @Van Stank , @neikodog , @Bilbobudkin420 , @UrbanAchiever , @Chris Scorpio , @TheMadDabber , @SweetSue ...many, many more that all do indoor grows.

Firstly, that thread is 420Mag...:)

Like I said, I don't vent or worry about smell so if they recommend ozone generator that is def an option. An easy way to get feedback on the subject is to visit some popular threads and ask "who uses an ozone generator and are they worth it?".

Look for @newty , @Van Stank , @neikodog , @Bilbobudkin420 , @UrbanAchiever , @Chris Scorpio , @TheMadDabber , @SweetSue ...many, many more that all do indoor grows.
This is great info. I appreciate all you are telling me. Since they just went into pots I have a month or so to worrry about the smell. Using Skunk and that's why I know there will be a smell. I am reading through your post from last year, it is interesting and helpful. Only read up until April so far. I'll read more later. Thank you so much.

That is great. Thank you. Here i thought I was going to have to buy Ozone Generator. I still may have to so my visitors won't smell it.
Fairly legal come September, but don't want to let others around me see.
That sounds reasonable. Yer a GOOD outtake fan and carbon filter will work wonders for you. Welcome @Neala101 :D im here if you need any help with anything else. As @Blew Hiller said take a look at other peoples journals and setups. To begin with id narrow things down by using the search bar up top. So if you're using a specific type of light or a specific strain you can search it and see what other people have done with it.
Also are you going to be using that whole space as your grow area? If your DIY skills arent up to scratch and you only plan on growing a couple plants at a time I suggest getting yourself a small cheap and cheerful tent. Mars hydro have some very reasonably priced tents on ebay/amazon. Easier climate control, no need to line any walls or plug up any holes, just need to find somewhere to vent it out to and you're golden. This will also help a fair bit with the smell factor, itll be contained in the tent and vented out to wherever you see fit plus the carbon filter will neutralise most of the smell before its even pushed out.

Mornin’ Neala, and :welcome: to the neighborhood. You’ll learn we’re a friendly lot. :battingeyelashes:

Abbreviations had me fit to be tied when I first arrived too. Now I throw them out like a seasoned vet, and it’s only coming up on four years. Lol!

Growing indoors in soil. Organic living soil or a medium with nutrients? That’ll filter the advice you’ll receive considerably.

I have three small 27”x27” tents in my bedroom, used for flowering, and all three are vented through a filter that sits above them.

The tents were too small for my filter to sit inside and it was imperative that the smell of up to six flowering girls be contained, but I have no way to vent outdoors, so I went with this arrangement. It requires me to air condition this room when lights are on in the tent, but it works wonderfully and the smell is controlled.

My point is there are many ways to skin a canna cat. You wandered into a happy group of cultivators playing with every method you can think of and delighted to share with our neighbors, helping them to success as well.

I grow in hempy, a passive hydro method designed for a truly lazy gardener who still wants marvelously bountiful harvests. Perlite is much lighter than soil. :battingeyelashes:

See? Many ways to grow good cannabis. It’s a lot easier than it looks up front. We didn’t name it Weed for nothing. Lol!

I weighed risk versus reward. Ozone generators have health hazards, serious ones, and that was a no go for me. I have had great success with carbon filters and an exhaust fan. But, I spent a few extra dollars on a 6” fan and high quality carbon filter. Overkill for my 3 foot by 3 foot tent.

My wife’s stern warning gave me motivation to ensure there was zero smell lol

I weighed risk versus reward. Ozone generators have health hazards, serious ones, and that was a no go for me. I have had great success with carbon filters and an exhaust fan. But, I spent a few extra dollars on a 6” fan and high quality carbon filter. Overkill for my 3 foot by 3 foot tent.

My wife’s stern warning gave me motivation to ensure there was zero smell lol

A bit of overkill for my 3 tents too, but it means I can upgrade to a 4x4 without worry.

I have an ozone machine and I remove my plants from the space when I treat. I air it out and wait a day to put them back. Great for bug control. Ozone will hurt the plants if you don’t remove them. The smell would be back in a couple of days. You might find better luck with a couple of ion blasters. They produce a very small amount of ozone.

Mornin’ Neala, and :welcome: to the neighborhood. You’ll learn we’re a friendly lot. :battingeyelashes:

Abbreviations had me fit to be tied when I first arrived too. Now I throw them out like a seasoned vet, and it’s only coming up on four years. Lol!

Growing indoors in soil. Organic living soil or a medium with nutrients? That’ll filter the advice you’ll receive considerably.

I have three small 27”x27” tents in my bedroom, used for flowering, and all three are vented through a filter that sits above them.

The tents were too small for my filter to sit inside and it was imperative that the smell of up to six flowering girls be contained, but I have no way to vent outdoors, so I went with this arrangement. It requires me to air condition this room when lights are on in the tent, but it works wonderfully and the smell is controlled.

My point is there are many ways to skin a canna cat. You wandered into a happy group of cultivators playing with every method you can think of and delighted to share with our neighbors, helping them to success as well.

I grow in hempy, a passive hydro method designed for a truly lazy gardener who still wants marvelously bountiful harvests. Perlite is much lighter than soil. :battingeyelashes:

See? Many ways to grow good cannabis. It’s a lot easier than it looks up front. We didn’t name it Weed for nothing. Lol!
Thank you SweetSue. BTW, what is Hempy. Why do you have bananas in the tent.
I looked at buying one tent and it was going to cost 2 bills. That is more than i can pay out. I had wanted to keep it growing in the winter and clone it. But I'll will wait until the fall when this becomes very legal, I should find every store competing for growers and the discounts will fly

I looked at buying one tent and it was going to cost 2 bills. That is more than i can pay out. I had wanted to keep it growing in the winter and clone it. But I'll will wait until the fall when this becomes very legal, I should find every store competing for growers and the discounts will fly

I grow in Mars-Hydro tents measuring 27" x 27" x 5'6". They ran me less than $100 each.

Hempy is a passive-hydro method of growing in perlite, or perlite with either vermiculite or coco. We have a small reservoir in the bottom of our pots and we water them every two days with nutrient-rich water. Perlite is so much lighter than soil. Unless you're growing in living organic soil this is an easy way to grow sizable plants with a smaller footprint and less work. We have a thread dedicated to it.

Hempy Headquarters

There is an app called Wish. Where you can get really good tents for factory(ish) prices.

Thanks. I tried JOOM. Found some lights that are coming. Not that big of lights but good price . They pay the shipping. Now I'll check WISH. When I looked on WISH, they were asking over $100 for a small tent. I found a tent on Amazon. Just over $100. The weird thing is that right under neath the one I bought was an almost identical one for $1,500.

Back
Top Bottom