First Time Grower

Swizzler 420

420 Member
Hey guys new to the community, have recently tried my hand at growing some indoor. Sativa strains

Needed some help with diagnosing some issues I have been having. Any advice would be great

20201213_153408.jpg
This is my first indoor grow started from seed using Crop King Fem seeds. Over all pretty pleased with the seeds. Currently at 3 weeks Old.
Im leaning towards overwatering +nutrient burn.
I wanted to push my experience.. currently growing 4strains.
Gilato
Blue Haze
Amnisha Lemon
Banana Punch
I'm using 1000w Led.
Temp 23-25C
Humidity fluctuates 45 50%
Ph 5.8-6.8
Media Coco coir/ worm castings/ perlight
I had to transplant early to help reduce from stretching .And may have started giving nutrients a week or so too soon. I Know newbie growers so impatient lol.

Last week I started noticing curled down leaves with another plant with curled up edges. I now have waxy look to the leaf and curled down. Is this Light Burn?
I have since stoped all nutrients and reduced feeding with distilled water. Some have started to recover but my Gilato is now showing burned tips and edges.
Any suggestions would be awesome. Happy 420

20201214_110741.jpg

20201213_153518.jpg

20201213_153505.jpg

20201213_153432.jpg

20201213_153422.jpg

20201213_153359.jpg

20201213_092242.jpg

Hey Swizzler,

welcome to 420. your plants look good. waxy leaves can be a sign of mites, you should look into that further - have you got a loupe or pocket microscop? most coco growers run a rather sterile enviro without organics like the worm poop and just do bottle feed nutes. so before you stopped - what did your normal watering & feeding schedule look like?

coco is not soil - it’s totally inert so there are no nutrients in there for your plant, but then you’ve got the unicorn poop that gives Nitrogen but by stopping the bottle feed you’ve got no Phosphorous or K potassium coming in. also most coco grows need cal-mag added.

straight coco grows need low dose nutes bottle fed every day, the media is not supposed to be allowed to dry out. i’m a soil grower so this is way out in left field for me but your setup is kinda unique since you’ve got coco and worm castings with perlite so it’s not straight coco

I’m going to shout out for help and see if the @Pennywise or @NuttyProfessor are available or others may stop in soon too

Hey, does anyone have any suggestions?
Looks ok to me - slight discoloring around the edges and curled .... scope the underside of the leaves look for Hemp Mites. IF clear steady the course.

You need a pretty strong scope to see. Look at the leaves that are yellowing just a tad first.

The real name for hemp mites is Hemp Russet Mites - the russet name comes from the damage, starts out as burnt edges turning to rust. They are VERY small. Smaller than a trichome. Also one of the other indicators is curled edges.

Hey Swizzler,

welcome to 420. your plants look good. waxy leaves can be a sign of mites, you should look into that further - have you got a loupe or pocket microscop? most coco growers run a rather sterile enviro without organics like the worm poop and just do bottle feed nutes. so before you stopped - what did your normal watering & feeding schedule look like?

coco is not soil - it’s totally inert so there are no nutrients in there for your plant, but then you’ve got the unicorn poop that gives Nitrogen but by stopping the bottle feed you’ve got no Phosphorous or K potassium coming in. also most coco grows need cal-mag added.

straight coco grows need low dose nutes bottle fed every day, the media is not supposed to be allowed to dry out. i’m a soil grower so this is way out in left field for me but your setup is kinda unique since you’ve got coco and worm castings with perlite so it’s not straight coco

I’m going to shout out for help and see if the @Pennywise or @NuttyProfessor are available or others may stop in soon too
Thanks 013 for the reply,
I was watering every 2-3days and feedings once a week as directed on the packaging. I was on the second week of feedings. 2scoops per 4 L of water.

I really hope it's not bugs!! I had to get rid of my two previous plants due to fruit flies breeding in my soil. That's why I switch over to coco but didn't think about the worm poop for mites.
I will check for bugs an update with my findings.

They look like they need some more air movement also , And i would just say to read the bag to see if the coco has been pre -buffered , its very important for cal,mag and (k)
not sure if I'm allowed to post this video so might get deleted by a mod

Hey Nutty Professor,
Thanks for the reply, and the video.yah the coco has been tripled washed but I'm not sure about the buffering? Thats why I added the worm casting cuz I thought coco was sterial and would add some nutrients until I started feedings. I have cal/mag that I mix with nutrients once a week for feedings. Not sure if this is enough?

I had an additional fan but it would lower my humidity to 25-30% I live in Calgary and it's supper dry here.
I'll post an update in couple days thanks.

Looks ok to me - slight discoloring around the edges and curled .... scope the underside of the leaves look for Hemp Mites. IF clear steady the course.

You need a pretty strong scope to see. Look at the leaves that are yellowing just a tad first.

The real name for hemp mites is Hemp Russet Mites - the russet name comes from the damage, starts out as burnt edges turning to rust. They are VERY small. Smaller than a trichome. Also one of the other indicators is curled edges.
Thanks for the reply, I hope not mites. I will have to check and I'll update thanks again.

Hey Professor, what about feeding & watering?

Swizzler - for pure coco or a mix of coco & perlite - hydro rules apply, but you’ve got worm castings too. So typically coco should have ph from 5.8 to 6.2 and the media should never be allowed to dry out. You can’t do wet dry cycle in coco like one does with soil. It needs to be fed light nutes every day for a small plant but then as plant grows it’s meant to be fed 2X per day and in flower 3X per day. Coco looks like soil but technically speaking coco growing is a drain to waste hydro grow style but you’ve got coco, worm poop & perlite, so that’s why I’m asking for more guidance for your situation

with the organic dry amendments you can let them dry ,you can treat like soil ph with organic additives
I just looked into this method , its like promix only you don't use peat moss as a the bigger base you use coco as the bigger base , i bought the buffered stuff just to be on the safe side , cal/mag locks up quick
I haven't used my mix YET ( seed has cracked and sprouted ) my mix was , 70% coco then perlite , compost ,, manure and peatmoss , , i did a bit of research and you can just water from the tap no ph if lime is also added , i added lime just to see ,
Its pretty new to me TBH, so I'm given it a whirl :D ( just so i dont give out the wrong advice gain lol

I was confused also on this @013 you can use like soil and let dry , there is a few you tube videos , feeding coco with dry amendments , or growing in coco organically will bring you to some :),
Now i could be wrong here so please feel free to tell me im wrong as im just about to try my self LOL !!

Hello and welcome Swizzler! :ciao: :passitleft:I grow in coco and I've learned everything here from these fellow cannabis enthusiasts. You could not be in better hands. Stay stoneder

Thanks Nutty I know enough to say - I don’t have a clue on this one and trust what you say. Same for Fredwak - you all bring a depth of experience. Yep, I can kill shit fast if I cross into coco hydro territory.
There is that many different grow styles im lost now lol :laugh:, the best way is to learn is to grow each style , for me anyway , I've coco , peat soil , and coco soil running now , i like to see what the fuss is about :cheesygrinsmiley: plus i learn the method , i stay clear of deep water culture

Thanks 013 for the reply,
I was watering every 2-3days and feedings once a week as directed on the packaging. I was on the second week of feedings. 2scoops per 4 L of water.

I really hope it's not bugs!! I had to get rid of my two previous plants due to fruit flies breeding in my soil. That's why I switch over to coco but didn't think about the worm poop for mites.
I will check for bugs an update with my findings.
Nice looking young plants.

Probably not Fruit Flies but actually Fungus Gnats which live in the soil part of their life cycle and spend the rest of it flying around and annoying people. Fungus Gnats are one of the easiest insect problems to take care of.

Mites are a bit harder but their problem can be solved too. It just takes a bit more time and determination.

gelato is a touchy plant, I just finished with one last week
they are slow to produce, and you definitely need air flow on them, I use small desk fan pointing at the wall so I get a rebound effect and not direct flow knocking them around
pick up a cheap pH grow meter and just leave the darn thing in the soil, they like it on the lower end below 7 but above 6
and yes you can over water them I had to wait till the top of the soil started to look dry before watering until it was about 18" tall, then twice a day as it got thirsty

UPDATE!
So far so good. No bugs thankfully and raised my light up a bit. Backed off on the nutes a lil and seems be recovering, lots of new growth and small branches forming.
Giloto is still a little stunted but I knew she was going to be difficult.
Amnesia Lemon was the runt out of the seeds, but seems to be doing great.
A little stretch on my blue haze and banana punch but will be topping in a couple weeks and trying my hand at cloning.
Stay Tuned.

20201220_203449.jpg

20201218_153021.jpg

20201218_152954.jpg

20201218_152652.jpg

Hey guys new to the community, have recently tried my hand at growing some indoor. Sativa strains

Needed some help with diagnosing some issues I have been having. Any advice would be great

20201213_153408.jpg
This is my first indoor grow started from seed using Crop King Fem seeds. Over all pretty pleased with the seeds. Currently at 3 weeks Old.
Im leaning towards overwatering +nutrient burn.
I wanted to push my experience.. currently growing 4strains.
Gilato
Blue Haze
Amnisha Lemon
Banana Punch
I'm using 1000w Led.
Temp 23-25C
Humidity fluctuates 45 50%
Ph 5.8-6.8
Media Coco coir/ worm castings/ perlight
I had to transplant early to help reduce from stretching .And may have started giving nutrients a week or so too soon. I Know newbie growers so impatient lol.

Last week I started noticing curled down leaves with another plant with curled up edges. I now have waxy look to the leaf and curled down. Is this Light Burn?
I have since stoped all nutrients and reduced feeding with distilled water. Some have started to recover but my Gilato is now showing burned tips and edges.
Any suggestions would be awesome. Happy 420

20201214_110741.jpg

20201213_153518.jpg

20201213_153505.jpg

UPDATE!
So far so good. No bugs thankfully and raised my light up a bit. Backed off on the nutes a lil and seems be recovering, lots of new growth and small branches forming.
A little stretch on my blue haze and banana punch but will be topping in a couple weeks and trying my hand at cloning.
Stay Tuned.

20201220_203449.jpg

20201218_153021.jpg

20201218_152954.jpg

20201218_152652.jpg
trust me get a mh and hps for flower and youll never use that led agian 600 watt for a 4x4 tent your plants will be warmer drink more and drive thows plants to what ya want i have grown maney maney with led,hps, mh my leds are only used in my clone room 220 dallor light in a 4x4 will grow pound easy.plants dont care about what kind of light it is but what matters is how much power to them food you pull from the wall so if the led is rated for 1000 wat but pulls 340 from the wall then 340 is what you are feeding them im sorry to all who read this way tooo high way but good luck and merry christmass to you

UPDATE!
Stay Tuned.

20201220_203449.jpg

20201218_153021.jpg

20201218_152954.jpg

20201218_152652.jpg
them plants are too small for fertilizer in my opinion
just risking burning the roots
they look happy enough
listen to them and watch
they will ask for food when they need it

Back
Top Bottom