First time grower

Fubar231

So ive been doing a lot of research lately and i got most of what i need to know down i think, if not i can reference to something, but im trying to debate what i want to do. Im using a old half bath in my house, and its 28x36x72 (inches). I got a 75watt fluorescent light right now but i plan on upgrading it in the near future, a 30gph pump (pretty weak but it was free), and a air pump. As far as my questions, i can't decide what type of setup to use. Its between a ebb'n'flow or a bubbler system. What do you guys think would be the best type of system since my growing area is so limited, and has anyone ever grown in a bathroom? Do the tiles on the wall / caulking effect the plants at all? But like i said, first time growing, giving it a shot, dont expect anything awesome but you gotta start somewhere. Oh, and i heard fluorescent lights are better for vegetation but when you want to start flowering is when to switch to the HPS lights, its what i heard.

i personally prefer hydro, as i'd rather be running a hose instead of schlupping a bunch of dirt through the house. That being said if I were trying to do a grow on a limited budget I would use a good quality soil, I say this because it is ALOT cheaper and more forgiving to the mistakes we all make as beginners. The tub will work great for the run-off H2O, though not the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of it. (take it or leave it just what i would consider)

is there a fan in the bathroom to extract the heat/humidity? its as important as light or nutrients.
Good luck, and above all have fun!!

sorry i'm baked. I use ebb and flow cause i dont have a ton of room, and like med size plants. I heard bubblers can grow really big plants and have seen a few pics that seem to prove it. If your gonna use a weaker light source i would try more smaller plants in an eb & flow as opposed to a couple in bubblers just because the light wont get very deep into the plants canopy.

Yeah the bathroom has an exhaust fan and thats the main reason i chose the bathroom. I stick a carbon filter above the exhaust fan in the bathroom to make sure no smell gets out. But as far as the system goes you would use a ebb'n'flow in the area i have. I thought a bubbler system could be better cause i could grow 4-6 rdescent sized plants. I also got 2 28watt fluorescent tube lights that i was going to put on the sides. Like 1 lamp on top, and then 2 bar lights about 4 inchs above the pots. What is an easier grow setup for a first time beginner, or are they really just more experiment/fail/start over type setups. Also i didnt plan on using the tub as the resevoir, i just planned on setting my system in the bathroom. Its not a tub really, its a half shower. You know you have to stand up, only a shower head. Etc. Ill draw a little sketch of what my setup looks like or ill go take a picture of how it sits now. All i got is some cardboard covering the top of the shower so no light comes in/out. I got the shower door foiled up, none of the other walls, dont wanna burn my plant up as a baby. I got a tension rod that i use to rise/lower my light, and the tube lights that i havnt mounted up yet. Ill get everything in place and take a pic later or something.

Haha im always stoned :roorrip: I love that pictures, same water pipe as mine. Anyways now to think of what kind of bubbler system. 1 big 30 gallon rubbermaid tub, or 4 5gallons... Hmm... Does anyone have any input on using fluorescent lights? Are they good lights? And if im using a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub, will a 20gph pump to circulate water be too weak? Also, anyone know of a guide to make a bubbler system w/ a 30 gal tub. I got ideas, but i wanna get a little more thought? iuno, whatever stay high guys

hey there Fubar, all i use is bubbler systyems, and in my first couple of grows all i used was flourecents. um so how many plants would you want to put in that 30 gallon bubbler? what i did for my bubbler system was used the mesh pot tops and traced around them with a marker on the lid of the rubber maid, used a drill to drill holes along the circles i drew and then took the circles out. drilled anoter small hole on one side of the system for the air tube to go in the top, and connect to an air stone put a couple of air stones in the system filled it up and its ran pretty smoothly for me.

Well thats what i pretty much planned on doing but the finer questions was like, if i did 4 plants in a 30gallon tub, all using rock-mesh strainy stuff (cant remember the name of what its called) to fill the pots and what are air stones? Im about to draw a little something out... Get a better idea.

HPIM16941.JPG

here is an example, just picture it in your reservoir. Theyre using 2 small air stones with the pvc to (i am assuming this) hold them where they want them. If I'm not mistaken you want ALOT of air in this kind of system. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm an ebb and flow guy. You may need a couple of the one footers, personally i like the small glass "stones" like in the pic they dont disintigrate into the res like the green/blue ones seem to do. You could use those if you get quite a few of them but theyre kinda spendy for what they are. my 2 cents

This is what i came up with as a general idea. Probably going to run 18/6 then 12/12 for flowering. What type of fert would you guys use and how should i fert it. Also, im running the air pump hose through the bottom (going to use 100% waterproof silicone to make it water tight)
growroom-idea.jpg

Look good to you guys?

Would you really not run it through the bottom? I got some industrial 50 year guarntee waterproof silicone crap from my work... Ill probably just run it through the top screw it. What about fert or should i just not mess with it till the plants bigger?

I'm just thinking why risk it, even if the silicone seals nicely at first the res may have some flex to it when filling/moving and compromise the seal. hate to have a huge leak, maybe kill the plants/burn the pump out etc..being at the bottom it would drain empty.

are you gonna be using seeds or clones? have you chosen a fert yet?

At first with clones i usually dont feed them anything till they look like they need to be fed, but i know alot of people who would say to use a root stimulator of one kind or another. I havnt tried so cant say if im doing myself an injustice......i dunno

Seeds I feed a very light fert solution once the real leaves first appear.

Fubar, I started a journal a few weeks back and also am using DWC(bubbler). Although I equate my compressor to having Superman on my team, lol. Anyways, I was going to use 30 gallon totes, which is what you were leaning towards. I found that they are usually too tall and the water was making the sides give more than I cared to risk. The problem is with a bubbler the netpot should be right on the water line or at least within an inch or two. I went to Walmart and found 16 gallon totes that are only 10" tall. I only put 5 in each tote after I cut holes for the netpots. Also, if you go with 5 gallon buckets(i have 3 set up along with my reservoirs), they are very easy to make work. Check out the journal if you want, it might help answer some questions.
First time Hydro/DWC grower

Very nice freddy. I didn't want to use 30 gallon tanks because of that, but i didnt know they made real short tanks like that. Ill probably get a few of the smaller ones then. Also, i got everything else worked out on how i plan on running it, but what about fert? I havn't chose any kind of fert yet nor have i chose how to fert them using a DWC system. Whats the best way, also im not growing some super hightimes lookin stuff, i just got some good funky seeds out of some local hydro bags.

EDIT: Im not using any clones so i will be starting from seeds, letting them germinate for a few then planting. Double edit, freddy why do you have fish tanks over your clones?

If you have to choose a fert, and you're doing hydro/dwc then you just need to pick a product, but you probably don't know where to look. Try hydro stores, if you're lucky then there will be one within driving range(100 miles). If unlucky, try an online store like HTGsupply.com or cheapgrowlights.com. I'd get a PO box if you are going to have stuff mailed, but I'm a paranoid fuck. :thedoubletake: Pick a product like technaflora(3 part solution BC Boost, BC Grow and BC Bloom(only for flowering)), General Hydroponics, Humboldt, etc
High Tech Garden Supply
There's a link from HTG where I drive to and a list of the nutes they sell. This is the first time I've grown hydro, and IMO it's much easier/cleaner than soil. I've only tried Technaflora products(Humboldt just too damn expensive), but have been very pleased.

The reason for the tanks over the clones is to keep humidity inside, since the clones are getting all their intake from the leaves(no roots yet). Every cloner I saw said that a dome was needed. I just let my MacGyver side out when I was really blowed and figured why not use some of the tanks I got laying around instead of buying a dome.:grinjoint: You'd be surprised about what you can do with all the crap in your house. Hope that helps.

Man, i got a store around me (Indoor Gardens) hydroponics place, less than 5 miles haha. I have a feeling ill become a reg there. So when im ferting, i only need to worry about it when there flowering, and once there flowing use a good fert. Ill look around the store when i go there in a week when i get paid, but what would you recommend if they dont have Technaflora nutes.

No, not just when they're flowering do you add nutes. You only add the bloom formulas they sell when they are flowering. If you go Technaflora, get 4 things, BC Grow, BC Boost, BC Bloom, and Thrive Alive. You'll mix up Grow, Boost and Thrive during vegetative and Bloom, Boost and Thrive during flowering stage. If you ask the guys at the store they can be very helpful if you ask indiscreetly and with out using key words like weed, pot, buds, etc. You can pick up the Grow and Bloom for $16 a liter(which is a ton since you only use 1/2 compared to the Boost). The Boost is $18/liter, but I would suggest getting a gallon as it goes twice as fast and you use it twice as long as the Grow and Bloom. So 1 gallon of the Boost is only $35 and it will make it so you run out of all 3 chemicals at the same time :smokin: The Thrive Alive is more expensive, $26 per 1/2 liter, but should last you a LONG time. If you go hydro though, you have to add nutes from the start of vegetative, and Thrive Alive is added during the cloning faze as well. They have charts at the store, so just take your time and ask questions.

PS if you have the loot go with Humboldt products, but they are more expensive.

Woah, way to blown to understand right now... Also, could i use a DWC system without a water pump stirring since the air should be doin that...? And i kinda get what your saying, but how much do i mix/feed etc... like 1/2 cup to 1 cup of this and 1/4 cup of that and whatnot. Shits hella confusing... anyways, ill be readin this again when im not so stoooooooned

:roorrip:

EDIT: What should i say haha, tomatoes , green beans, lol. They place im going has this hailarious commercial wheres theres two guys talkin and hes like i need some help growing my (then in a real deep voice it says) green beans. Then the dudes like we can help you grow your "Green beans" (same voice). and it goes on for a minute its so fuckin funny.

Back
Top Bottom