First Time Grower's Journal

You can take any 3"-4" branch as a cutting to root as a clone. If you leave at least 1 node with vegetative growth left on the branch left on the plant it can regrow new vegetative growth and create new sites that cuttings may be taken from on the plants.

Day 19

Growing so fast, ph has remained at 6.0 for 2 days now. Plant 2 has shown signs of improvement, leaves are starting to look better. On day 21 I am going to flush the system adding new water and up the nutes to 3tsp per gallon (I am using the Fox Farm trio BTW). Can't wait until I can start cutting clones off these babies.

image16880.jpg

day 20

The plants are growing significantly every day now. Plant 1 is a beast, thinking of scrapping plant 2 soon if no further signs of improvement show to make room for clones. I guess it's better to eliminate the weaker plant and continue on with the stronger one.

PH has been level at 6.0 for A few days now since the exponential growth spurt and also I noticed that the water level has dropped a little bit in those few days. I guess the plants are sucking up a lot more water for their growth.

Plant 1

image16911.jpg

Plant 2

image16912.jpg

Cloning questions

I have been doing a lot of research on cloning and there are a few things that I am unsure of.

Does the length of the stem I am cutting matter or does the amount of nodes on that stem matter more? Some people neglect to mention how many nodes there should be and only talk in matters of length measurement. From my understanding I should cut in between the third and fourth nodes.

My plant 1 is becoming very bushy, very quickly and I think it may almost be time to take a few cuttings.

Its funny you are using only 6500k...I have been using only blue light and I think my height has suffered for it. I just switched in more 2700k bulbs.

Your growth is going well, but I would look into mixing the spectrums. Red light delivers peak efficiency during photosynthesis. Having at least blue and red spectrums will allow the plant to utilize both chlorophyll a and b.

Its funny you are using only 6500k...I have been using only blue light and I think my height has suffered for it. I just switched in more 2700k bulbs.

Your growth is going well, but I would look into mixing the spectrums. Red light delivers peak efficiency during photosynthesis. Having at least blue and red spectrums will allow the plant to utilize both chlorophyll a and b.

Thanks ClosedCircuit,

I am a complete noob so I appreciate your input. I have to buy an additional light soon when I start to cut clones, what are your recommendations? My current veg room is 2x4, was also thinking of increasing wattage when I purchase new bulb(s). So I should def mix up my spectrum?

Thanks ClosedCircuit,

I am a complete noob so I appreciate your input. I have to buy an additional light soon when I start to cut clones, what are your recommendations? My current veg room is 2x4, was also thinking of increasing wattage when I purchase new bulb(s). So I should def mix up my spectrum?
I'm just as much a newb. I'm just sharing some of the knowledge I have!

Cloning questions

I have been doing a lot of research on cloning and there are a few things that I am unsure of.

Does the length of the stem I am cutting matter or does the amount of nodes on that stem matter more? Some people neglect to mention how many nodes there should be and only talk in matters of length measurement. From my understanding I should cut in between the third and fourth nodes.

My plant 1 is becoming very bushy, very quickly and I think it may almost be time to take a few cuttings.

Looking good,

The length of the stem matters in the sense that you need enough to insert into the medium, and that your cutting is of desired height. The number of nodes on the cuttings will vary and is not very important, what is important is the nodes you leave behind on the mother plant.

Looking good,

The length of the stem matters in the sense that you need enough to insert into the medium, and that your cutting is of desired height. The number of nodes on the cuttings will vary and is not very important, what is important is the nodes you leave behind on the mother plant.

Thanks Alienpus

Day 23

Getting very bushy but noticed these 2 yellow spots on plant 1. Anyone know what these mean?
image17032.jpg

Yellow spots
image17034.jpg
image17033.jpg

Day 25 cut my first clone

Plant 1 is growing fast and getting bushy, you can see near the bottom right of the photo where she still has a yellow spot on one of the leaves. I added some GH cal/mag supplement 2 days ago.
image17141.jpg

Plant 2 however is not growing that fast and has stunted under growth. Thinking about scrapping plant 2 soon to make room for clones. It hurts me to do so but at this point she is only taking up space and does not look as if she will produce well later on.
image17142.jpg
image17145.jpg

Took my first clone today =) after making the initial cut I immediately put the clipping into PH 6 water and made the final 45° cut underwater, then placing it in root tech Gel and clipping the fan leaves to promote root growth. I only took one as this is my first time growing and wanted to see how this baby does first before clipping more.
image17143.jpg

This is where I cut, left node there.
image17144.jpg

If anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated as I am learning by experience here being my first time growing. Have an abundant new year everyone.

Day 23

Getting very bushy but noticed these 2 yellow spots on plant 1. Anyone know what these mean?
image17032.jpg

Yellow spots
image17034.jpg
image17033.jpg

I believe the yellow spots on your plant are from damage from water droplets when the leaves were smaller. Water droplets can magnify the light and burn your leaves.

Added some general hydroponics CALiMAGic, hopefully that does the trick. Any input anyone?

image17039.jpg

I believe your leaf damage is from slight nutrient burn and a calcium deficiency.

Day 25 This is where I cut, left node there.
image17144.jpg

If anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated as I am learning by experience here being my first time growing. Have an abundant new year everyone.

You have taken your cutting at the correct location, you always want to leave at least 1 node on the branch so the plant may re grow the branch from new growth.

The girls look very healthy, don't worry about the little blemishes, they look like little nicks and a burnt tip, and are far too few in between to indicate any real problem. Keep PH in check.
Don't give up on plant 2 just yet, ideally take some cuttings from both and then decide on how those clones perform once flowered, then choose your mom.
Your clone looks just perfect, the RW cube looks a little soggy IMO though.
I don't know what your action plan is, but them girls gonna start getting real big real fast and will at least double afterwards during flowering, so now may be a good time to take a bunch 'o clones, and keep their size and shape in check as you ready your tent.

Back
Top Bottom