First Time Growing My Favorite Plant

TrplJacks

What's up everyone!? I have been doing some secret squirrel research on here for a little while and I am excited to see how this is going to turn out. I decided to build my own grow box because it gave me something to do. I'm going to try and keep my posts short but I'll be uploading pics and commenting on what I've been doing as I go. I just got my supplies today and have started working on the box while my love-buds germinate. For now, I'll explain where I am at thus far.

Grow Box I bought a used cabinet and painted the insides flat white. I'd say it's about 3ft tall (growth area) and 1&1/2 ft wide. I'm going to cut out places for exhaust and lighting soon.

Lighting For now I have a 12w TaoTronic LED(got it off amazon). I'm either going to get another one or switch to CFLs for flowering. I am only growing one plant and my roommate is getting the others.

Soil I have Fox Farms Ocean Forest

Fertilizer I came across Tiger Bloom for ten bucks and couldn't pass it up, and since ocean forest is high in nutrients already, I figured tiger bloom would be alright to use once flowering begins.

Other Good Stuff I found a 3-in-1 moisture, pH, and light meter at Home Depot really cheap ($8)/ I have a thermaltake cooling fan. That's pretty much it so far.

image_1_51.jpeg
image_3_38.jpeg
image161.jpeg
image_4_33.jpeg

What's up everyone!? I have been doing some secret squirrel research on here for a little while and I am excited to see how this is going to turn out. I decided to build my own grow box because it gave me something to do. I'm going to try and keep my posts short but I'll be uploading pics and commenting on what I've been doing as I go. I just got my supplies today and have started working on the box while my love-buds germinate. For now, I'll explain where I am at thus far.

Grow Box I bought a used cabinet and painted the insides flat white. I'd say it's about 3ft tall (growth area) and 1&1/2 ft wide. I'm going to cut out places for exhaust and lighting soon.

Lighting For now I have a 12w TaoTronic LED(got it off amazon). I'm either going to get another one or switch to CFLs for flowering. I am only growing one plant and my roommate is getting the others.

Soil I have Fox Farms Ocean Forest

Fertilizer I came across Tiger Bloom for ten bucks and couldn't pass it up, and since ocean forest is high in nutrients already, I figured tiger bloom would be alright to use once flowering begins.

Other Good Stuff I found a 3-in-1 moisture, pH, and light meter at Home Depot really cheap ($8)/ I have a thermaltake cooling fan. That's pretty much it so far.

hey man nice job on building your own box.
the 3 in 1 meter sounds great but i found it to be junk . the light meter part worked ok ..
i suggest u go to fleabay and get a ph meter/ppm meter combo for 20$ its an investment that u will never regret making. also pick up some 7.0 calibration fluid and check the meter monthly.

since u are going to be fighting a height issue u might can get away with no veg nutes if u flip her to flower on week 5 since the fox farm is nute rich soil..

u have the tiger bloom but u don't have the big bloom. im sure u can get bud from it but u will not maximize your yield..
also i suggest getting a cal mag supplement when using Leds

Thanks for the input devils letuce. I was concerned about the pH readings of the 3-in-1 meter when I was testing it out, the meter barely moved and said my tap water was at a pH of 8! I'll definitely check out some cal mag supplements, that hadn't even crossed my mind. Would you recommend a certain kind/brand? The supplier I got tiger bloom from had big bloom also but I wasn't sure if that would be too much with ocean forest. I am also going to try chicken wire or something similar for the SCROG method. I think that would allow me a little more control.

Thanks for the input devils letuce. I was concerned about the pH readings of the 3-in-1 meter when I was testing it out, the meter barely moved and said my tap water was at a pH of 8! I'll definitely check out some cal mag supplements, that hadn't even crossed my mind. Would you recommend a certain kind/brand? The supplier I got tiger bloom from had big bloom also but I wasn't sure if that would be too much with ocean forest. I am also going to try chicken wire or something similar for the SCROG method. I think that would allow me a little more control.

yea scrog would be would in your box.but i would suggest more than 4 weeks veg since people usually top their plant to prepare for scrog i use a brand called calmag by botinacare but u can use calmagic if that's all they have i just happen to pick this one . the fox farm nutes will only last 4-5 weeks after that it will need more nutes added to it .. and in the future i would add perlite to the ffof to help with drainage ...

I've heard those cheap 3-in-1 meters aren't worth much beyond their light meter for any real accuracy. That said, don't be shocked if your tap water actually is 8.... mine is right around 8 according to the colors on my test strips (no meter here yet). if you have even mildly hard water, it usually will read to the side of alkalinity because of the dissolved minerals in it. If you actually are at 8, a tiny amount of white vinegar (about 3-4 ml) in a gallon of water should bring it right down to the 6.6-6.8 range.

Good luck on the grow ;)

I've heard those cheap 3-in-1 meters aren't worth much beyond their light meter for any real accuracy. That said, don't be shocked if your tap water actually is 8.... mine is right around 8 according to the colors on my test strips (no meter here yet). if you have even mildly hard water, it usually will read to the side of alkalinity because of the dissolved minerals in it. If you actually are at 8, a tiny amount of white vinegar (about 3-4 ml) in a gallon of water should bring it right down to the 6.6-6.8 range.

Good luck on the grow ;)

i agree the light meter is the only thing that seemed to move. my 10 dollar ph pen is the best investment i have made..and with the vinegar a Tiny bit is correct . that stuff drops it fast .

I appreciate the tips. I bought some pH strips today until I get a good pH meter. I had no idea about the white vinegar Garage Grower, so I'll definitely keep that in mind. Tried to check out some Big Bloom today too but they were out. I could've swore I saw it when I got Tiger Bloom yesterday though. Maybe folks around here love it for their tomatoes lol.

u can find any single nutes u want on FLeBay most with free shipping .:goodjob:

Alright! Love-buds have sprouted 3 for 3. My supplies haven't came in yet so I am putting my plant with my grow partner's until I can finish my box. I also ordered a ph pen and some pH up and pH down.

Alright! Love-buds have sprouted 3 for 3. My supplies haven't came in yet so I am putting my plant with my grow partner's until I can finish my box. I also ordered a ph pen and some pH up and pH down.

that will be one of your best investments . and #1 goto tool (find some cheap 7.0 calibration solution to monitor the ph meters accuracy monthly)

congratulations on the seeds. now the fun begins !!!

Today was a good day! The rest of my supplies came in and I was able to put my box together. Still have tiny things here and there (such as sealing light out so I can sleep). The little PC fan I got is pretty sweet, I can adjust the speed of the fan and I think it'll do nicely for my small box. The light is really big, I'll use it throughout the plants life or switch to CFLs, I haven't made up my mind yet. Anyways, here are some pics..
image14849.jpg
image14848.jpg
image14851.jpg
image14850.jpg
image14852.jpg

getting new stuff is always great .. feels like Christmas!!!

getting new stuff is always great .. feels like Christmas!!!

Haha yeah it is! Been so excited, I keep checking it feels every 5 min. My eyes are all jacked up from the brightness of the LED. I'm not sure if it is the soil or the light, but the plants are growing very rapid.

Back
Top Bottom