First time growing question, how much cfls do i need for my setup?

Uncle Zhorik

Hi there, this is my first time growing, i will apologize beforehand for bad english

I have read alot of articles about growing weed, i have already managed to plan my growbox and i need
some help on lighting. i wish to use cfl lights.
my setup is 2 boxes, the first is for vegitation period, and the second for flowering

vegitation box size:
-In Centimeters-
Height - 95 CM
Width - 50 CM
Depth - 50 CM

-In Feet-
Height - 3.11 Feet
Width - 1.64 Feet
Depth - 1.64 Feet

flower box size:
-In Centimeters-
Height - 140 CM
Width - 80 CM
Depth - 80 CM

-In Feet-
Height - 4.59 Feet
Width - 2.62 Feet
Depth - 2.62 Feet

i wish to use both 2700K CFLs and daylight CFLs (blue)
im going to grow 2 autoflowering plants for a beginning :)

And now for the question:
what is the optimal wattage and number of cfls do i need to grow me 2 fluffy friends?

Welcome uncle Z, You got a kind of small area there but with auto flower plants one in each once they get bigger will be fine. I would mix the 2700K and 6500K at least two 26W(100 watt equivalent) of each temp rating over each space later in flower. Both plants being together under less light in the beginning. Leave them at 20 hours on and 4 hours dark for their entire life cycle and they should be happy in that space. If they were not autos 6500K for veg and 2700K for flower with as many CFLs as you can fit without a heat issue. A 2 foot 2 tube T5 54W HO Flo would be great in the larger space if the funds are available, more light less heat. And get the lights close to the plants as possible or they will stretch to much, it is hard to burn them with flo unless they physicaly touch the bulb. I started with all CFL too and they do work. Plan your ventilation and get a PH meter and it is a fun ride.:peace:

the formula I was told and use for CFLs is to use 70 watts or more a square foot(WxD) of grow space. but you don't need that much for seedlings. the number of bulbs you use to get to that requirement going to be based on what wattage bulb you want to use. The wattage I seen used most are the 23W(100w equivalent)CFLs. I've seen bigger ones used too but never anything smaller. I think the reason the 23watt are so popular is they are easy to find so it doesn't raise any red flags. Now the 6500(blue)CFls are better for vegging the plant the 2700(red) are better for flowering but most will mix a few of the other in too

Something like that is a very good start.

I started out with CFL's and had to many splitters. Making something like what you show in that link is much better and safer.

well I'm not sure what help you need but if you are growing autos you really only need one grow box. that should save you some. as far as building the light, the one you linked looks good but there are many good ideas and instructions on CFLs in the D.I.Y forum here at 420mag. You can use the search forum button, it is right above the list of threads and below the advertisement banner on the right side. this way you can look for one that suits your needs.

Back
Top Bottom