First time growing

Just bought my first clone the other day, brought it home immediately, repotted and watered, currently have it situated in a 3 foot deep cabinet I lined with aluminum foil, with an E26 LED lightbulb hanging over it bought it on April 7th, 2019, It’s now April 9th. Strain is Gigabud (Big Bud x Northern Lights cross) heavy indica. (This is just what I was told when I bought it) Anyways.

How can I tell how old it is and when should I try and make it bloom?

Is this a bad place to put it?

Will the aluminum conduct too much heat or not enough heat and damage or kill it?

What kind of nutrients should I get?

How can I make this work best?

Hi , can you post some photos of her and the set up ?
How many watts is your LED ?
Show photos of the cabinet
and the pot and plant.
What soil your using , they call that a medium.
You need ventilation and fresh air.
Alot of info is on the internet on first grows and also everyone here is great .
But we need details by and photos of the set up.

There's a thread somewhere showing all the info to provide when asking for help, I'll see if I can find it

How many watts does the bulb pull? Also are you growing in Coco coir or soil or hydro? I'm doing Coco myself and have the general hydroponics Flora trio for my nutrients. As for switching to flower, you can decide when it's best to, most people flip to flower when it's about half the total size your looking for in the end

There's a thread somewhere showing all the info to provide when asking for help, I'll see if I can find it

How many watts does the bulb pull? Also are you growing in Coco coir or soil or hydro? I'm doing Coco myself and have the general hydroponics Flora trio for my nutrients. As for switching to flower, you can decide when it's best to, most people flip to flower when it's about half the total size your looking for in the end
You mean this thread?
:D welcome mate. Just a heads up. Aluminium foil will not be great for room lining. It can create light hot spots and isnt actually that great at reflecting. You can get rolls of mylar or reflective thermal stuff for reasonable prices in most builders merchant type places

You mean this thread?
:D welcome mate. Just a heads up. Aluminium foil will not be great for room lining. It can create light hot spots and isnt actually that great at reflecting. You can get rolls of mylar or reflective thermal stuff for reasonable prices in most builders merchant type places

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks !

[update] I switched to a CFL bulb that outputs 860 lumens and pulls 13 Watts and I’m using two of them at the moment. One thing I forgot to mention is that ever since buying it I’ve noticed the bottom flowers are more yellowish than the middle and top ones, what does this mean?

I bought some Gaia Green 4-4-4 and fed it a 1/2 tbsp when I got home by working it into the topsoil and subsequently watering. I also got some Alaska Morbloom 0-10-10 which I plan to implement after the plant gets taller and stronger.

The growing medium I’m using is soil which I bought from a local nursery.

Also it grew about an inch and a half.

Are these nutrients bad?

Are these light bulbs insufficient?

Should I cycle between light & dark? And if so for how long?

The bottom turning yellow is usually her asking for some nitrogen. Your container looks kind of small (hard to tell), that could be partly to blame for that issue. Don't panic she's going to make plenty more leaves. Not familiar with those nutes but I would advise going light and slow with them and remember it will take a good few days to see any change so don't get impatient and start piling it on. Most folks run 18/6 light /dark in veg and 12/12 when you want to engage flowering mode. You would have much betting results with a proper grow light, even a very basic budget friendly one would be far superior to a couple of cfls. I don't think they will be sufficient for good results in flowering especially when she gets to be a nice size. Hope this helps a bit!

The bottom turning yellow is usually her asking for some nitrogen. Your container looks kind of small (hard to tell), that could be partly to blame for that issue. Don't panic she's going to make plenty more leaves. Not familiar with those nutes but I would advise going light and slow with them and remember it will take a good few days to see any change so don't get impatient and start piling it on. Most folks run 18/6 light /dark in veg and 12/12 when you want to engage flowering mode. You would have much betting results with a proper grow light, even a very basic budget friendly one would be far superior to a couple of cfls. I don't think they will be sufficient for good results in flowering especially when she gets to be a nice size. Hope this helps a bit!

I saw that 18/6 and 12/12 thing in another article so I was thinking of doing that, I’ll start today. Also I thought the same thing about the CFL’s but I read in another article that CFL’s can be good for growing because most common CFL’s produce more light energy than they pull in wattage, for example the ones I bought say 13w=60w daylight. In the same article it said that it’s good to switch from daylight CFL’s to soft light CFL’s when engaging flowering, but to keep the same wattage. Do you think this is inadvisable? Open to anything just want to make this work. Also yes the pot I’m using is made of hardened clay, but I moved it into a larger one yesterday. The fertilizer I bought has a total nitrogen percentage of 4 but I’ve only fed it half a tablespoon, cus I got it on the 7th and I don’t want to disregulate it too quickly from what they had been feeding it before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 40
People do grow successfully with CFL bulbs, even with the small wattage ones like you have. I haven't looked into it but I think they use several at least. Yields will be be on the low side of low I would think but you're still growing your own stash!! There are bigger CFL bulbs out there supposedly more suited and quite a bit more expensive and no doubt more heat.. Anyways, it is pretty weak light in the cannabis growing world and the bulbs need to be pretty close to the canopy to get decent nugs at all. This won't be a problem if your box is 3 feet deep. I believe those bulbs are best oriented sideways to give the most light downward. How do you control the light cycle and ventilation in your cabinet?

Id definitepy up the number of bulbs if you are intending to use those for the entire life cycle. A upgrade should be on your list eventually thoug cuz. Trust me theres nothing better than getting a grow bang on with good light and good food. Get ya light, food and environment on point and nothing else is needed for big yields of naughty bud.
The 4-4-4 is cool for now but id grab some calmag (usually also holds a little bit of N which will help more in veg) once they get to flower i would start adding the 0-10-10 stuff SLOWLY. Whatever the reccomended dosage is quarter it to start with and build up from there every other feed just a little bit.

People do grow successfully with CFL bulbs, even with the small wattage ones like you have. I haven't looked into it but I think they use several at least. Yields will be be on the low side of low I would think but you're still growing your own stash!! There are bigger CFL bulbs out there supposedly more suited and quite a bit more expensive and no doubt more heat.. Anyways, it is pretty weak light in the cannabis growing world and the bulbs need to be pretty close to the canopy to get decent nugs at all. This won't be a problem if your box is 3 feet deep. I believe those bulbs are best oriented sideways to give the most light downward. How do you control the light cycle and ventilation in your cabinet?

I use alarms on my phone to tell me when to turn the lights off and when to turn them back on, I just do it manually. And for the time being I have an oscillating desk fan that keeps a light but inconsistent breeze on it.

Also upon closer inspection, the hairs on some of the pistils have turned dark amber in colour, I have been told this is good?

[update] I switched to a CFL bulb that outputs 860 lumens and pulls 13 Watts and I’m using two of them at the moment. One thing I forgot to mention is that ever since buying it I’ve noticed the bottom flowers are more yellowish than the middle and top ones, what does this mean?

I bought some Gaia Green 4-4-4 and fed it a 1/2 tbsp when I got home by working it into the topsoil and subsequently watering. I also got some Alaska Morbloom 0-10-10 which I plan to implement after the plant gets taller and stronger.

The growing medium I’m using is soil which I bought from a local nursery.

Also it grew about an inch and a half.

Are these nutrients bad?

Are these light bulbs insufficient?

Should I cycle between light & dark? And if so for how long?
Not to be questioning you but your using Potting Soil right ?
Not outdoor Top soil ?
Just wondering if it would make a difference because Top soil most times is very heavy and lacks breathing room . I think the recommended watts per plant is 150watts per plant to start with CFL the more watts the better and keep them close. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom