first time hydro grower, looking for pointers

go4snypr

Been reading thru the "How To: Simple Hydroponics" and looking for a few pointers before I start buying things. I am thinking about using The Captn's "Method 2" for my grow.(How to: Simple Hydroponics) There are a few thing I need to buy to get set up. I already started a list. My questions are going to be all over the place as I get going as this is our first hydro attempt. Now looking at his set up for Method 2, I am assuming I will need one of these setups for each plant. First off, (i know this is a lame question), how do i get my seed started in the rock wool?? Do I just push the seed into a cube and let it germinate in a dark closet the same as i would with a dirt grow?? Second (and correct me if i am wrong). I am going to need an airstone and pump for each bucket. When setting up for flower does the pump just run all the time, or is it on a timer to cut in and out at certain times?? As for air stones, i am doing some googling, these things need to be attached to an air pump if I am looking at the right things?? one pump can run multiple stones?? Is this worth trying with just 3 plants? From looking at the link, the captn seems to know what he is doing... we have been growing in sunshine #4 for over a year now, and have had some reasonable yields, but nothing like this... any pointers would be great. Thanks All

Different ways to start seeds, you'll find the one that works best for you. I start mine in rock wool cubes, you need to soak the cubes in ph balanced water to start, then yes drop the seed in and cover to control humidity and let the seed germinate, keep it on the warm side for faster germination, not hot. I'm not aware of The Captn's method but I run air stones in all the buckets in my system 24 hours a day, one pump is running all the stones. And yes it worth it for only three plants if what your going to get are close to 1 pound plants yields.

As suggested above, there are so many ways to begin. Before you give it a go, make sure you’re aware of your requirements and able to find out the way that suits you the most. If you are using rock wool cubes, make it a point to soak them well in water that is duly ph-balanced.

Place your seeds in the solution and consider covering the container in order to keep humidity ideally leveled. Remember that seeds need warm surroundings to germinate, but ‘warm’ should not be taken for ‘extremely hot’ here! Happy growing!

Ok, seeds are germinating, I have 3 popping out of the rock wool cubes already. Gonna get them under the seedling lights in the next day or two. Just wondering how long to wait before adding nutes to my water. With sunshine #4, we would wait a few weeks into veg before starting to feed, can I just go by this rule still for hydro, or should these be seeing a weak solution of food in the next few day?? Also when adding nutes to tap water, am I understanding that if I want 500ppm, I add that in nutes or do I take into account what is already in the water. ex If there is already 600 ppm in the water, do I make my solution to 1100 ppm?? or does the water have too much "garbage" in it to use?? Thanks.

ok, here are the ones that have popped out of the seeds already. Should I treat these like seedlings or continue to treat them as germinated. I have them under a cfl right now. let me know thanks
20140623_154034.jpg

alright, I am back again. I have transplanted 2 of the cubes in to more cubes. Gonna do a couple more today. Here are the pics of the plants. I have to get to a garden store to buy my nutrients, I would assume I should starts feeding them by the end of this week. also, what is air pruning?? how much root should be showing out of the cube before I transplant. you can see in the one pic how much root was out before I transplanted...thanks in advance.
20140629_113619.jpg
20140629_113524.jpg
20140629_113540.jpg
20140629_113551.jpg

Ok I just got my ph meter in the mail. I checked the ph of my plant water and it is running in the 5.6 range, which I know is good. My PPM and EC have me guessing though..... I do not understand the conversion factors. my EC is running at 1.01, and my PPM is at 700. I would assume that I have a .7 conversion factor, but i have no Idea what this means to me. I have been looking at a couple of charts that say if I had a .5 conversion I would be at 500 ppm, but at .7 conversion I have 700 ppm. I read these little guys should only be getting about 200ppm right now, but is that at .5 conversion or .7 conversion or am I just so lost that I have no idea what I am talking about. Any input would be greatly appreciated....also should they get nutes every watering, or every other watering???

Every plant is different but depending on the ppm meter you use for that age of plant 700 is just a little high (bluelab I would be looking for 350/400)

Im new at hydro and am still making mistakes but about a week after second leaf growth it is still at 1/4 nute time. Depending on growth rate keep it 1/4 for 2 weeks.

I found moving to a high light (HPS/MH) early stressed them to much as well, so I would say 1/4 nute and keep them under CFL for at least another node.

Just my findings so far, keep reading mate that's the best thing I have done.

Back
Top Bottom