First Time Indoor Grow - 250W HPS - 4 x AutoFlowers

DaveCarnage

Hi all,

First time grower newbie, thought id log my first attempt at an indoor grow. would really appreciate advice, info and comments ]

I am Using:
250 Watt Proxima Euro Light System
Florescent T8 tube (for Dark / Shade spots)
Standard Oscillating Fan
BioBizz All-Mix Soil
BioBizz Bio-Bloom nutrients

I have 3 Royal Queen Northern Lights Auto Flowering Seeds, growing in Rhizo Pots.

My grow is currently in the corner of my Back room, Surrounded completely by Blackout/reflective sheeting.

Seedlings are currently at about 4inches. All seems going well, has been just over a week now from seed.

I will Insert some photos later on today at some point.

Light is around 2ft away from seedlings.

Have been advised not to use any nutrients until 3 or 4 weeks in, as apparently the biobizz all mix and the jiffy's have enough nutrients in to last that long?

have been watering lightly and misting about evry two days, am just going by the dryness of the top layer of soil?

Lights are on 18 hours and off 6. is this okay?

I am also considering moving my grow out o the corner of the room and into my closet? my closet is perfect for it, only concern is it can get a little damp at times (in winter) , would this cause problems for my plants?

Any input appreciated, thanks again!

(also as you may see, my 1 x Jack Herer seed seems to have sprouted twice? so i have a duel stem? separate or keep it going?)

IMG-20130519-00454.jpg
IMG-20130519-00453.jpg
IMG-20130519-00452.jpg
IMG-20130519-00451.jpg
IMG-20130519-00449.jpg
IMG-20130519-00447.jpg
IMG-20130519-00446.jpg
IMG-20130519-00444.jpg

Sorry about image quality, will be using a better quality for next pictures.

I Currently have the T8 resting above the seedlings, couple of inches away, and the 250wt HPS and reflector are about 2ft above. Oscilalting fan is about a foot away from plants, on low breeze 24/7.

Dave

Re: First Time Indoor Grow. 250wt HPS. 4 x Autoflowers.

Second Post,

about 3 weeks from seed (nearly 2 weeks from seed for Jack herer)

I decided to move my grow into the closet as mentioned above, let me know what you think.

Any Advice and Tips welcome!

image69.jpeg
image_1_14.jpeg
image_7_3.jpeg
image_5_3.jpeg
image_4_5.jpeg
image_3_3.jpeg
image_6_3.jpeg
image_2_7.jpeg

Also, as you can see the Jack here has sprouted 2 stems! Should i separate or just leave to it?

subscribed. i would try to separate the two seedling now, one will out shade the other. do you have another journal going, i seem to remember you asking the same question about your closet?

Cheers for responses,

I thought as much regarding the twin stemmed jack herer. How would I go about Separating this please?

Just a little update*

All seem to be doing well, seeing noticeable growth each Day and no issues seem to have risen.

Any further Advise, Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Again

is it the actual stem or two seedlings coming up in the same container? a close up photograph would help.

image_5_3.jpeg
This is from one seed, From further reading they apparently both have the same root system and its technically "one" plant :/ ?

i would try to dig with a toothpick or tweezers gently to separate the smaller tap root from the larger one. two plants in the same container is asking for trouble.

quick question. I have added 2 x 40w CFL's and a 60w t5 fluroscent to my closet, so now i have a total of 400w light output.
Is this sufficient for a grow of 3 x Northern lights auto's and 2 x Jack herer Auto's?

Will have journal progress etc updated later this evening.

Thanks

It looks like you are off to a great start. I like the DOUBLE headed plant; I have never seen that before. You may have unleashed a monster :)
For lighting, Typical recipe is about 60watt per sq ft. So 400W / 60 = 6.6 sq ft. You didn't mention the size of your closet but it looks to be about 2' x 4' = 8sq ft. So you have almost the right amount of light, but it will be tough growing 5 plants in that space. These are all feminized seeds, right? I would switch your lights to 12/12 when they are only about 5" tall so they don't end up crowding each other too much.

As far as yield, you should be able to get about 1/3 - 1/2 gram per watt of HPS lighting, so that's about 3 - 4.5 oz for your 250W light. You might be on the higher side of that with the supplemental lighting, and if you do well on your first grow. I wouldn't spend any more $ on florescent light right now. Save up for another 250W HPS :)

And I've never seen how plants respond to jedi light sabers ;-)
image_2_7.jpeg

These are all feminized seeds, right? I would switch your lights to 12/12 when they are only about 5" tall so they don't end up crowding each other too much.

I have these on a 16/8 Schedule , and will use this throughout the whole grow as these are Auto Flowers so they choose to flower themselves regardless of light schedule? stop me if im doing wrong though aha... ?

Hi Again all,

Proper Update for you now.

Everything seems to be going well so far. the 3 x Northern light Auto's are now about 4 weeks from seed. the Jack herer Auto (which i seperated into two as it sprouted two head) Is around 3 weeks from seed.

Here are the Pictures of the 3 x Northern Light Autos

They all seem perfectly healthy, cant seem to see any issues so far... can anyone spot anything.

The one thing you may have noticed, is on ONE of the NL's some of the top Leaves appear to have sort of bleached light green in places? this appeared about a week ago, after i misted the Plants with some water containing bloom nutes. I Decided afterwards to use just water when misting as thought it may have had something to do with that. Since not misting with the bloom nutes again it hasnt goten any worse, and leaves seem to be growing fine, the patchy, bleachy discoloration is still there though. should i be conserned?

So what do we think about the leaves on that NL ?

Here we have my jack herer(s)

This was one seed that spouted two heads. I Left it for a while, and this is what it looked like.

i took above advise and sperated the two, they now look like this...

They seem to be growing okay, but is it just me or are they very small / short for there age (about 3 weeks from seed)
Also on the one jack herer one leaf seems to be deformed, like two leaves have merged into one? Its hard to see from the picture but if you look directly at the top of the photo, you can see what looks like two fan leaf tips, but that is actually one leaf. any concerns or just a little mutation?

So, In conclusion, all seems to be going well. Im impatient and as its my first grow i just wanna smoke this! Also, when i open my closet now it reeks! Love it!

I Just started feeding them BioBoom a couple of Days ago (im using like 1/5th of the bottle directions amount for the first 10 days, then il up it slightly, finally adding about 3ml p/ltr during the last couple weeks?)

Anyway, feedback, comments, advice, critisism, something funny? all welcome!

Thanks for reading.
Dave!

Thought id write down the Details / Specifics of my Grow for anyone whose following in Detail.

3 x Royal Queen Northern Light Autoflowers
2 x Expert Seeds Jack Herer Autoflowers

Growing in BioBizz All Mix, Using BioBloom Nutes.

1 x 250wt HPS & Reflector
1 x 60w t5 fluroscent tube
2 x 60w CFL's

Lights are on a 18/6 schedule throughout.

Am Growing in Closet, its about 1m deep and 2m Wide, Ceiling Height.

The Closet has a vent leading directly outside to fresh Air. The closet door also has an air vent.
The walls/doors are covered in White reflective sheeting.
I have an oscillating fan next to the outside vent. this (in my own theory lol) helps bring fresh air in through the vent, and blows it around the closet. I also have another oscillating fan the opposite end of the closet, which rotates around the closet keeping it cool, and circulating the air around and out of the other vent... (i hope)

Im on a budget, so i dot have a carbon filter, temp gauge, humidifier ETC,
I check my plants at least twice a day, if it feels a tad too warm for me, then il turn the fan up, too cold, il turn it down. feels dry in there, il spray a few squirts of water in the air, if its a bit humid feeling, i open the closet door a little and turn the fan up.
From what i know these plants like similar temps etc to us, so if it feels ok for me in the closet, then its cool for them... that's the method im using :) so far so good im thinking...

all comments advice etc welcome

>>>after i misted the Plants with some water containing bloom nutes. I Decided afterwards to use just water when misting as thought it may have had something to do with that

To foliar feed, I would use something very mild, like if you have General Hydroponics florablend, about 5ml/quart in a spray bottle, and a TINY (less than a drop) bit of disk soap as a wetting agent. The bloom nutrients may have bleached the leaves. It is not really necessary to foliar feed.

>>>They seem to be growing okay, but is it just me or are they very small / short for there age (about 3 weeks from seed)

They look great. The first few weeks are kind of slow but after 3-4 weeks is when they go from seedling to real vegetative growth, and you will notice rapid growth now. Keep doing what you're doing. I would be careful with nutrients until you see stars (beginnings of flowers).

>>>Also on the one jack herer one leaf seems to be deformed, like two leaves have merged into one? Its hard to see from the picture but if you look directly at the top of the photo, you can see what looks like two fan leaf tips, but that is actually one leaf. any concerns or just a little mutation?

NO concerns here.

>>>From what i know these plants like similar temps etc to us, so if it feels ok for me in the closet, then its cool for them... that's the method im using so far so good im thinking

You should be able to get a temp / humidity monitor for $10, but for now, yeah, if you're comfortable, your plants are too.

As far as the light cycle, yes you can stick with 18/6. I am just thinking with 5 plants you may want to encourage flowering asap, and keep growth manageable. I have seen ONE auto flower take up and entire 2 x 4 tent under a 400W HPS. I guess if that happens to you, that will be a GOOD problem, eh?

>>>I have an oscillating fan next to the outside vent. this (in my own theory lol) helps bring fresh air in through the vent, and blows it around the closet.

I would lean toward blowing air from the closet to the outside. I have done many experiments and pulling air out always creates more air flow and pushing air in.

I'm really excited for you and your first grow. Your plants are looking great.

Back
Top Bottom