First Time Indoor Grow! Multi Strain

I just use tap water it comes out at like a ph of 7 so I just add nutes and then it needs to come up a little bit to be right about 6.
I don't know the taps ppms cause I dont have a meter, due to lack of funds.
I am super broke all I have is either a homie hookup or a loaner to get me through. I need to save up and get a ppm meter what's a good one and what do they run $ ?
Then i will need advice on how to use the thing.
Thanks
:peace:

Just a suggestion but you might want to run your PH lower in the hydro.
I try to get mine as low as 5.5 when adjusting it. If I get it to 5.8 I just leave it there. Any higher then that I adjust it again. I check my PH every morning. The day before I set my PH at 5.8 and by the next morning it was sitting at 6.3.

Hanna makes a pretty inexpensive PPM meter for something like 30 bucks. You can find cheaper ones I'm sure. My meter was pretty spendy. About 275.00 but it reads damn near everything. I think it even reads my heartbeat and pulse lol

It would do you well to know you base water. Friend one if you can, they are cheap. Even the cheapest is better than nothing. Is the water hard or soft, do you know? These simple facts can have a significant impact. I also suggest a ph of 5.8.

I will be trying to get a ppm meter in the next couple days. And I will be lowering my ph. But how do I know if my tap water is hard or soft. I know it comes out of the tap at a ph of about 7. I am outside Portland Oregon and our tap water comes from bull run reservoir, witch I'm lead to believe is some of the best tap water in the country?

But yeah how do you know if its hard or soft.

If you do not soften your water then we will assume it is not soft. In your own home or housing unit? Water is not naturally soft. Once you get the meter we can determine if it is hard. I may also suggest a pool test kit. Used only for the result of total alkalinity. Accomplish this and we will have a good start.

Want to know more?
Soft water in a Nutshell

Ok I'm gonna try and get the meter today. I probably need a digital ph tester too huh? All i have is the general hydro test kit with the lame color changing water, please don't laugh remember I'm new at this. Lol

Ok I'm gonna try and get the meter today. I probably need a digital ph tester too huh? All i have is the general hydro test kit with the lame color changing water, please don't laugh remember I'm new at this. Lol

If your running on city water more then likely it's soft but won't know for sure until it's tested. My tap water has a PPM of 140 to 145 and I'm just up the freeway from you by a couple of hours.

Digital PH testers are nice but you have to work with what you have. No one is going to laugh at you. We all had to start somewhere at one point. :Namaste:

If your running on city water more then likely it's soft but won't know for sure until it's tested. My tap water has a PPM of 140 to 145 and I'm just up the freeway from you by a couple of hours.

Digital PH testers are nice but you have to work with what you have. No one is going to laugh at you. We all had to start somewhere at one point. :Namaste:

I talked to my hydro store and he thinks the local tap is like 70-80 ppm.
But another local grower is gonna trade me a teens SLH and a white widow clone for a.ppm meter and some cal mag. Witch works for me cause I am super broke. So i should be testing tonight with questions to fallow.
Thank you all

Ok I got a ppm meter. What do i want the ppms of my res. To be for agressive veg. On the BPN chart?
And ppms for my flower res. For transition.
Also how many ml/gallon of calmag should I add to fix my spots? Cause I tot that also.

Thanks everyone

Picture uptade...

IMAG03228.jpg

Afghan kush day 7 of flower

IMAG03279.jpg

I have all the main tops tied down, so the inner branches can grow I will release them in a week I think.

IMAG03297.jpg

Tied down top branch

IMAG03247.jpg

Inner branch

IMAG032510.jpg

I also transferred WW #1 to flower, and gave her a defoliation. This is her right after.

IMAG03269.jpg

WW #1 first day of flower.

I also got a ppm meter its a hm digital tds-3 meter. I'll post my findings with that and my questions in a bit

Thanks everyone

Ok I got a ppm meter. What do i want the ppms of my res. To be for agressive veg. On the BPN chart?
And ppms for my flower res. For transition.
Also how many ml/gallon of calmag should I add to fix my spots? Cause I tot that also.

Thanks everyone

If you have BPN nutes then follow his chart. This guy knows his shit. If you have any questions about the nutes then Corey is always happy to answer ANY questions. Stand up guy.

I have never used cal/mag so I'm sorry but I can't answer that question.

If you do not soften your water then we will assume it is not soft. In your own home or housing unit? Water is not naturally soft. Once you get the meter we can determine if it is hard. I may also suggest a pool test kit. Used only for the result of total alkalinity. Accomplish this and we will have a good start.

Want to know more?
Soft water in a Nutshell

Ok so i tested my tap water and it says its only 25 ppm.
So I calibrated my meter insolution that was 1382ppm
And when I stuck it in it read 138 x10ppm. So i tested the tap again and it said 25 ppm.
So does this mean i have soft water?

What is after I mix up nute solution following the chart the ppms are a little higher than Corey said they should be?

Do you just dilute your solution to bring the ppms into range?

I also read the thread about how I need to post the conversion my meter uses.
I was a little confused by this so if someone could clarify so I can post correct. My meter is a HM digital tds3 meter.

Thank you

Best advice for Cal Mag is read the directions on the bottle. I have used it @ 5ml and 10ml per gal. Depends on the issue at hand.

I have done this too. I have some calmag but I can't get to the bottle right now cause the ladies are getting their beauty sleep. I will try to post it for you later, Fishon.

I have done this too. I have some calmag but I can't get to the bottle right now cause the ladies are getting their beauty sleep. I will try to post it for you later, Fishon.

Thank you I would follow the bottle but i don't have one. A friend just filled me a couple mason jars full. So directions would be helpfull.

Ok so i think I got it figured out.
If my tap water has 25 ppm, that is very soft water. Which means there os to little minerals like Ca and Mg, so I need to measure out water check that ppms are about 25 and then raise it up to about 140 with calmag. And then add my nutes according to schedule, and then balance the ph to where I want?

Is that the way I should be making my solution when i do my res. Changes?

Thanks for helping I'm confused.

Thank you I would follow the bottle but i don't have one. A friend just filled me a couple mason jars full. So directions would be helpfull.

apply @ 5ml per gal and feed

10 ml if case is bad, then resume @ 5ml. Depending on medium you may or may not need to continue. More than likely yes at a reduced rate which you will have to slowly diminish and find on your own after about a week.

You water is not soft, just not very hard, meaning not overly heavy in calcium and magnesium. Softened water has sodium or potassium in place of the cal/mag.

Yes accounting for the ppm of your base water then nute to scheduled ppm level. Subtract the water ppm from the schedule to attain your dosage at this point. I am sure the BPN army can advise you far better than I can. They have experience with your nute. I do not.

Ok BPN ARMY question.
What do i do if after I make my base water 140 ppm and add my scheduled ml. Per gallon of BPN and the bloom booster, my ppms are to high according to what Corey told me they should be at durring different stages?
Should I just dilute it down to the right level with more tap water at 25 ppm?
Or?

Thanks every one

Ok BPN ARMY question.
What do i do if after I make my base water 140 ppm and add my scheduled ml. Per gallon of BPN and the bloom booster, my ppms are to high according to what Corey told me they should be at durring different stages?
Should I just dilute it down to the right level with more tap water at 25 ppm?
Or?

Thanks every one

Since you are using 5 gal DWC buckets I would toss the mixture and start over and double check your measurements before you add it. ALSO, just because you have a 5 gal bucket doesn't mean there is 5 gallons of water in there. Remember, deduct the 25 PPM of your water and check the PPM right after you add the nutes but BEFORE you add the PH down or up which ever you have to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom