First time indoor grower looking for insight and comparison between two tents

CChapp

420 Member
Hey folks!

I've spent the last few hours giving the search bar a work out and surfing through previous posts, in hopes of making the best suited purchase the first time. I'm really at the beginning of my planning here and am currently looking into tents. I have a shop word working shop that I am converting into my grow tent room. The crux of the room is that the ceiling height is maxed at 6.3 (75.6in). I am hoping to grow 4 plants in the tent if possible so I have narrowed my options down to two tents - The Gorilla shorty 5x5 (w/extension capable of 5'8") and the 5x5x5 600D Fusion Hut low profile.

The two major differences that catch my eye are the obvious differences in costs, but also the differences in material. I have read on this forum and also several quick searches on google to "not even bother" with 600D fabrics.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? What are your honest opinions on the differences between the fabrics and should it be a deal breaker because of the 600D? Are there other options for a sub 6'5" low profile tent I've missed? Any insight is appreciated!

For your reference

- Gorilla -

- Fusion Hut -

Cheers!

Chris

Hey folks!

I've spent the last few hours giving the search bar a work out and surfing through previous posts, in hopes of making the best suited purchase the first time. I'm really at the beginning of my planning here and am currently looking into tents. I have a shop word working shop that I am converting into my grow tent room. The crux of the room is that the ceiling height is maxed at 6.3 (75.6in). I am hoping to grow 4 plants in the tent if possible so I have narrowed my options down to two tents - The Gorilla shorty 5x5 (w/extension capable of 5'8") and the 5x5x5 600D Fusion Hut low profile.

The two major differences that catch my eye are the obvious differences in costs, but also the differences in material. I have read on this forum and also several quick searches on google to "not even bother" with 600D fabrics.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? What are your honest opinions on the differences between the fabrics and should it be a deal breaker because of the 600D? Are there other options for a sub 6'5" low profile tent I've missed? Any insight is appreciated!

For your reference

- Gorilla -

- Fusion Hut -

Cheers!

Chris

id' go with the fusion. gorilla tent prices are insulting to say the least.

Thank you both for the quick reply. In respect to the materials, is 600D really that bad of an option for the life of the tent or is it simply a matter of one lasting longer than the other. I just checked the CAD price on the Gorilla and was quite surprised. I've never seen any tent of that size go for over 500 before.

I have a shop word working shop that I am converting into my grow tent room. The crux of the room is that the ceiling height is maxed at 6.3 (75.6in).

Is that supposed to read "wood working shop?" If so... If I had skills, tools, and wood - I'd build a grow space. Being able to do so would mean that its size would be "whatever the <BLEEP> I need it to be" instead of "whatever I can find that someone will sell me,' lol. I could prep, prime, and paint the inside ultra-bright white; flat for best results, but since I like to be able to clean things, probably eggshell finish. Or install Orca Film, but that stuff is kind of pricey (although apparently about the best thing going in regards to light reflectivity).

Even if you just went with a basic frame, to which you attached a highly reflective material inside (and perhaps a thin, more rigid material on the outside of that frame and possibly some sort of insulating material in between, if the environment requires it), it would allow you to have both the area you want and the height (maximum) that you need. And the quality/durability of the materials would be your choice, since you'd be choosing them individually instead of just buying a finished product.

Just a thought. . . .

@Amy Gardner had a gorilla and had problems I believe. In not sure how that ended up working out.

My point is, no tent will be perfect, so it's about how much you are comfortable spending for an off the shelf solution.

As TS noted if you've got a wood working shop why bother with a tent, build a nice room for them.

@Amy Gardner had a gorilla and had problems I believe. In not sure how that ended up working out.
:ciao: I still have one - a different one from the original one tho, Turbo remembers rightly. I got a shorty and one of the window panels was misaligned and leaked a lot of light, so they replaced the tent. I paid extra at that time to get a regular size one - not the Shorty.

Hi CChap - The regular one without any extension is under your height limit, I’m pretty sure. And one thing I’d say abaout the extension kits is that the zip still only opens as high as the base tent and the extension adds a closed in area above that. Hanging the light can be tricky if you have a light fitting that fills the area, like I did. I don’t have that issue with the standard Gorilla tent.

I’ll second what Emilya said as well. The Gorilla’s are super sturdy and well worth it if you can.
:Namaste:

Hi CChap - The regular one without any extension is under your height limit, I’m pretty sure. And one thing I’d say abaout the extension kits is that the zip still only opens as high as the base tent and the extension adds a closed in area above that. Hanging the light can be tricky if you have a light fitting that fills the area, like I did. I don’t have that issue with the standard Gorilla tent.

Regular ones are 6'11", which is 83". Extension makes them 7'11".

I have a regular 4x4, and it's awesome. Only thing I'm a tick nervous on are the zippers. You'd figure at the price point you would get a good, solid metal one. Oh well. The little things we OCD over. :rofl:

I’ll second what Emilya said as well. The Gorilla’s are super sturdy and well worth it if you can.

Absolutely. I'll third this. Gorillas are excellent. Not only for the material of the shell, but one thing often overlooked is the bar strength. You can do pull-ups on those things. What does that translate to over other tents? Better stability and capability for hanging lights, fans, filters, etc.

I would also highly recommend the CFM kit if you're going to run an exhaust fan of any strength. They're cheap enough (like $22 for a 4x4 kit) and further reinforce the walls to keep more stable with negative pressures. Money well spent right there, and not much of it for what you get (4 bars, one for each side.)

Back
Top Bottom