First time with pics attached...help, boys or girls?

frogger

Ok, I have never! done this before, but I decided to grow my own. I am hiding them behind a pompas grass in my yard and I have three growing now, I used old seeds from some I had a little while back. How soon can I tell if they are girls or boys (or can you tell already and I am totally blind), and should I take the boys away? Also, should I cut some of the leaves smaller on the bottom, or just leave it alone!

Thank you guys for all of your help!! You Rock!

plant210.JPG

plant112.JPG

heres your pics ,im not to sure about there sex someone will be along soon that might be able to tell.

You are sooo awesome,thanks for enlarging, I was just checking them out on my camera....that is my backyard oasis!!!! the other half is exactly the same only with more banana trees!!

Nice looking pants frogger. And I agree w/highflyer, nice place you've got there. As far as sexing your plants goes, they wont even start showing sex untill the amount of sunlight they get every day drops to around 12 hours. They're gonna get pretty tall by then, so I hope your pomas grass stays tall and green. They might even grow past the top of your fence, so you might want to think about topping them or tieing them down so they fill out and get bushier, but don't get so tall. Also, you might have them planted a little close together, but I'm not sure there's much you can to about that any more. If you're feeling brave, you might try to transplant them further apart.
As far as sexing goes, look for white hairs near where the leaves meat the branches and stems. Those will be the girls, and boy flowers will appear in the same areas but start out looking like balls in tiny stems. They should appear first. I'll find a couple of links showing what they look like and post them for you soon.
Vin

Amazing how human and maryjuana, boys n girls, "privates" resemble one another. I'm wondering how much your neihgbors in the pics are going to enjoy your plant's flowering fragance?

growing some jasmine too, which will be the stronger scent??? Plus, this is Austin, we are cooooll here.

well things look good so far... the only concern i have is that while your plants are hiding are they getting enough sun light...? other then that and the height its looks like things will be aiight for ya

they get about 8 hours of light, not always direct because of the pompas. I was concerned about that as well...how will it affect them if they do not get enough light, will they not flower?? As for the smell, oh well, next door neighbors are cool and guy behind is young always throwing parties. I think my biggest concern is to make sure they do not take me plants :)

I will try to post some more pics, planted a new seedling in another pot next to these three the other day, aleady sprouting through, hope its a girl!!

I saw those pics, is it ok that I dig in and touch the leaves or should I not touch them?? I will try to post more pics, they have gotten even bigger!! I think they are all girls, maybe this is wishful thinking, but I don't see any balls on any of them, just long wispy things, I thought they were going to be new leaves...

How long until they flower? I am such a newbie! Sorry about all the questions.

It's ok to touch your plants, just be gentle of course. And, you have to becarefull about what you're doing or touching before you touch them. Like smoking for istance. Just wash your hands before you go checking on them, and you'll be fine. Get a small magnifying glass, that will help you when it comes to sexing them, and also help w/checking for pests, deseas, and nute deficiencies. If you're seeing long white hairs like the plant on the right in the above pic, then you do have girls. Good luck w/the grow.
Vin

I can distinguish it on the pic. that was provided, I just can't figure it out on my own plants?? I was all up in their face today too trying to figure it out, like I'm some sort of plant gyno or something....guess I will wait a little longer, they are just getting soooo HUGE

Hey frogger: LOL don't worry honey I'm a free lance plant gyno LOL.
As my mentor says don't mind fuck it man. You gave your self some good advice... Let them go another week or so. If you do happen to have boys, they aint gonna be developed enough to polinate anything before that anyway. Don't sweat it. They may not even be flowering yet, and you're just getting yourself in a flutter over new veg growth. Do you have youself a good magnafying glass? Keep an eye on the areas where the stems and branches meet the main trunk. You'll know it when you see it. Good luck. You could also post a pic for everyone here to scrutinize for you LOL.
Vin

Looks great. Nice and healthy. You can tell it needs more light cause it's a little stretched out, but still, it looks good. I don't see any evidence of sex parts yet, but a close up would tell us more.
Vin

I tried some close ups but they came out fuzzy...at the base where the other stems take off I see two long fuzzy things (not white), but they are still so young yet that they could grow balls (I know some men who should do this)

Thank you so much for enlarging.

I am in south Texas and they get about 6 hours of straight sunlight...was hoping this would be enough cause my kids might get suspicious if I just planted them right out in plain sight...

Back
Top Bottom