First timer hydro need help!

Meentree

Ok, so this is my first grow and I'm going the DWC route. I have 2 plants at almost 6 weeks old from bag seed. The person I got the weed from thinks it's from blueberry x northern lights. I went through some troubling events up til now but through some research and some knack for plant life I managed to get my babies back to good growth and health.

Now I'm having a bit of an issue with one of my plants. Some of the new growth is a bit wilted looking and has a slight curl under. The other plant is looking awesome. Roots on both look very health and robust. I had the light about 16 inches away from the plants when I started noticing this. I moved the light just now to 24 inches. Maybe the light was too close for that plant but the other seemed to not mind.

Also something to consider (sorry I don't have a good camera for any pics) is that these plants are very low and stocky and the fan leaves are huge. They completely cover the newer branches. Should I trim the fan leaves?

Light: 400w MH on 24/0
Room: 4'x4'x6' Grow tent
Circulation: 1-6" in line fan for intake, 1-8" booster for exhaust, 1 small fan in tent to move leaves
Air temp: 70-75 max variation. No big temp swings ever
Res Temp: 69-72 max. Also stays very consistent
Ph: 5.6-5.8 I was having Ph spikes when plants were sick but now it stays at about 5.7 all day.
RH: 47%-51%
Nutes: approximately 900ppm of the following combined GH MaxiGrow, GO CalMag, DM Gold Zone, DM Gold Silica, Aquashield, Superthrive

any ideas? =)

Re: First timer hydro need help!! =)

400 i keep mine much closer than 2'!
everything sounds good
trim only when there is an overload of primary leaf, at the bottom only and before flowering begins. remember stress kills production! any stress thats intrusive!
bending brings great rewards!!
bag seed im sorry to say is horrible. i grew with bag seed for 4 yrs and was sick of growin! different story now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its been 5 yrs since quality gennitics. i always thought high times had cool lookin buds!
now i just go down stairs. i could compete with them any ol day

Thanks for the reply =) couple of questions though.

what do you mean by an overload of primary leaves? These plants are stacking pretty tight. Theres only about 1/2" to 3/4" between nodes. The plants are 8" tall and the first set of branches starts about 2" up. Including the first set there are 7 total. I've never trimmed anything off these plants except some of the dead/dying leaves back when they were sick. Should I trim off the lowest branches? These are best for clones anyway right? Maybe I'll try to clone them.

Also, what was bad about the bag seed you grew? Just odd genetics? what kind of problems did you have? The seed I used was from someone that deals directly with the grower and the smoke is excellent. Do you think that matters?

Oh! Yeah I read on here about tucking or paper clipping the fan leaves back. I'm givin that a try before I start wackin leaves =)

the fan leaf need light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! energy and vigor come from these. later some even use them for neuts. there are mobile neuts. in the plant. in flower the plant uses little nitrogen, as it needs more the plant will relocate it from the now less important primary leaf. it usually starts at the bottom and is a slow progressive process. never correct this with nitrogen! this only pertains to the plant in flower and close to finishing!
you can hook the leaf together, place your plant where you want it for the day. then grab the lowest primary leaf, 2 at a time so you can pull them twards each other out of the main light. then hook them to each other with the smallest leaf close to the leaf stem as possible. there are specific names but i dont pay that much attention. go clear to the top hookin every leaf you can to move them out of the way. still getting light and tomorrow turn the plant and do it again in the other direction. bending a plant will do crazy good things if done properly. some folks get great results but in my humble opinion they would have even better results by less stress!
if you trim try just cutting half the leaf, leaving the other half to absorb light for energy!
peace

So I have tucked the fan leaves back and the branches are holding them down very nicely. Seems like the interior is perkin up. Thank you 68 for your advice. I understand what youre sayin about the plant using the primaries for neuts. I was thinkin I might try and take a couple clones but who knows what these will turn out to be. LOL We have a cannabis farmers market comin up so I'm gonna get some good genetics. I'm gonna take your advice on ditching the bag seed :) But I will begin flowering these in a couple weeks and who knows, maybe they'll produce some sweet danky smoke :grinjoint: I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks again

make sure its out of stress factor before you induce flowering. a good 10 days after your last transplant then into flower room. transplant = stress!! you want the plant in full vigor when put into flwr! bigger buds! bend em gently!!! try just one branch.
clones, take em from the bottom. some say use a hormone, ive done it with and without. a cloning chamber is key to success with clones. they get neuts and moisture through the leaf till new roots appear. a daylight bulb- 4' 40 watt florescents will grow clones nicely. very nicely, use flat white paint for any walls to raise reflective properties. it works! dont try and push em to hard, some plants do good while others do horribly. time is the best teacher!!
you will have problems, the sevarity depends on how you hanle them. think before you act but act fast. plants can only hang on so long when there is a prob. keep the circulation going 24 hrs. crank it up every now and then!
member try and do as mother nature would, they respond very well to it!
best of luck to you!
contact me if you need, if full of chit but can grow some darn good medicine. better than any drs medicine by far!!!
peace

Back
Top Bottom