First Timer - Looking for Input

StealthBomber

well I can't resist so im givin this the old college try. ive started a few germinated seeds in some small pots. ive done a bit of research and the question i bring to you today involves my lighting setup.

Here is the setup in question. No laughing please, im sticking to the old KISS method for now.

DSCF000141.JPG

On that light tree is 4 bulbs, and here is the math as far as i understand it.

3 x 13W CFL
1 x 26W CFL

The 13W packaging rates each bulb at 825 lumens.
The 26W packaging rates each bulb at 1,750 lumens.
All bulb packaging is defined as "Soft White 2700K"

And the math:
3 bulbs at 825 lumens equals a total of 2,475 lumens.
Adding a bulb of 1,750 lumens to this results in a total of 4,225 lumens.

Based on this info (and if any more is needed ask) is this a good start? I have another identical light tree available and could always add it, but if its overkill I could save some energy. Let me know what you think and if you see any errors in my calculation.

PS- awesome site, this place has been eating up days of my life at a time lately

Hey stealth ....welcome to :420:....well so far things look good..plenty of light for now
.....but soon you will need more light....what kind of medium are they in?.....oh and we all started growing like this my man...so far so good...

the pots are 8" in diameter (i believe) and i filled them with a mix i made in a big bucket. if i recall correctly its, 50% Miracle Gro Seed Starting Potting Soil, 25% Miracle Gro Sphagnum Peat Moss, and 25% Miracle Gro Perlite. I ran a couple PH tests after i saturated the soil. The soil came out to be around 6 and the water i plan to use is around 8. I know the prime area is between 6.5 and 7, so should i acidify my water a tad to bring it to a 7? As far as i know im supposed to avoid fertilizing for a couple weeks since im in soil.

Hey man your off to a good start! I have to agree with Canna on two points, first my first few grows were just like this, and second you will need to add more light at some point. You can wait tell they get a little bigger if you want. I'll pop back in and look for updates.

It looks pretty good to me. If it was me, I would try to replace the 13or 14w bulbs with maybe 23w. I started out with those ones with my first grow. But as everyone as has said it will work for now...But if veg is 6500k then I think you may need one or two more to add if you're going for the goal of 6500k...If I am incorrect, someone please correct me.

I agree that when my plant needs to grow ill surely have to hit it with more light. But like i said i have an identical light tree. So two trees putting out 4,225 lumens is 8,450 lumens. I can always pick up more of the 26W bulbs and for each 13W bulb i replace with them, I'll gain just a little under 1,000 lumens. While i'm thinking about it, will this "soft white" spectrum cover both vegetative and flowering growth? or will i be buying new bulbs in a month or two?

Hey stealth I wouldn't bring my ph to a 7 ever....that's just me...you also need to be careful of the peats....they sometimes lead to rot....soil and perlite will be just fine my man...and def on the 26w bulbs....good move....don't forget with all that MG that you will now lose all control of your soils nutes for a while here...when she's gets to the first transplant I would 86 that MG....and use something where you the FARMER...are in control of timing.....word

Miwa you know we have like the same amount of post...word my brotha

White walls are excellent for the distribution of light, although eventually more light along with the addition of mylar (or for me emergency blankets) would help with growth.

I have only used cfl's in my short time growing, they have worked great. But I got some beastly 85w lights from Stealth Hydro. The setup I got came with one 2600k and one 6000k bulb, both with reflectors. I don't see the package up on that site anymore though :scratchinghead: only the individual lights. They worked so good though I bought another replacement set so I can have 2 cool lights for vegging. Then 2 warm lights for flowering.

Looks like you got yourself some good closet space too. With a little fan and something to protect the carpet you'll be set!

Back
Top Bottom